Be careful who you talk finances with!

A child peddling overpriced, tasteless empty calories would not be my ideal caller; but YMMV! :cool:

You poor, deprived northerners.:D

That could only be said by someone who has never tasted Thin Mints.

The appropriate response south of the border is "How many ya got left in that case? Okay, hand 'em over. How much do I owe ya?":dance:

Which is kind of weird, because the Girl Guides have been selling them in every province since 1995.

ICYMI: Girl Guides have been selling cookies, door to door, in Canada, since 1927.
Perhaps so, but it seems that the 'thin mints' phrase isn't widely used. FWIW, none of the several people I've asked knew what that meant (one person suggested After Eights).

These are the non-memorable things they sell in Canada:
gg-cookies.jpg

The appropriate response south of the border is "How many ya got left in that case? Okay, hand 'em over. How much do I owe ya?":dance:
Are they sort of like Frango chocolate mints? I do like those, but AFAIK they aren't available here.

Shut. Your. Mouth.
Back you go to Mommy and Daddy's basement, there's a good boy.

Last edited:
My family members are lucky I open the door, never mind sales people! (I look out the window first.)

Thin mints are best after being put in the freezer. Great with coffee.

Be careful indeed.

In my city there have been criminals going door to door pretending to be home security salesmen so they can gather info for future burglaries.

That’s different than your previous statement “Most people out there, will never pay off their homes.”.

Actually, very few mortgages are not paid. One third of all homes have no mortgage. All mortgage holders fully pay the mortgage when they sell their homes. The foreclosure rate is less than 1% and the delinquency rate is less than 4%, so even if many homeowners sell before the original mortgage term is up, almost everyone “pays off their homes”.

How many pay a monthly payment until they pass, or move to a retirement home, or sell to move to an apartment only because they cannot afford the payment of the mortgage? I bet there is a fair amount of people that carry a mortgage into retirement that wish they didn't, and only did so through a lack of planning. In all of the cases mentioned above, the mortgage would be paid either through sale, by life insurance, by the estate or by the heirs that wish to keep the home.

Be careful indeed.

In my city there have been criminals going door to door pretending to be home security salesmen so they can gather info for future burglaries.

People need to start photographing faces and identification of people that come door to door. They should be submitted to the police department in the event of criminal activity. Citizens are conditioned to endure these things as nuisances, when in modern times, they are possibly dangerous.

Perhaps so, but it seems that the 'thin mints' phrase isn't widely used. FWIW, none of the several people I've asked knew what that meant (one person suggested After Eights).

These are the non-memorable things they sell in Canada:
gg-cookies.jpg

Are they sort of like Frango chocolate mints? I do like those, but AFAIK they aren't available here.
... .
No, not like the pictured ones at all. Those do look pretty boring.

Yes, kinda like Frango mints, with a cookie wafer inside. I'm not big on cookies/sweets in general, but I do like thin mints. A lot.

-ERD5-

People need to start photographing faces and identification of people that come door to door. They should be submitted to the police department in the event of criminal activity. Citizens are conditioned to endure these things as nuisances, when in modern times, they are possibly dangerous.

This reminds me of something I saw in a TV show. A young woman is hitchhiking when an man stops to give her a ride. She agrees to accept the ride but before getting into the truck photographs the front of the vehicle including the license plate and sends the photo and location to a friend

This reminds me of something I saw in a TV show. A young woman is hitchhiking when an man stops to give her a ride. She agrees to accept the ride but before getting into the truck photographs the front of the vehicle including the license plate and sends the photo and location to a friend

A lot of female PCT thru hikers do this. They have to get off trail and hitch to towns to pickup their resupply boxes.

A lot of female PCT thru hikers do this. They have to get off trail and hitch to towns to pickup their resupply boxes.

I picked one of those PCT hikers up! It was great to talk with them. I passed them at the top of the pass. Typically first thought would have been ....bum. But this was way out there. Andi knew the PCT crossed there. So I turned around and they squeezed in.They were a couple from Germany. She was a doc and he was a software whatever. They were going to overnight in Sisters, but needed to resupply at REI in ben. I dropped them off at REI and told them if you need a ride to Sisters call me up. They did I ran them back to Sisters.

I forget their "trail name" but they sent me a picture from the Canada end of the PCT

Last edited:
No, not like the pictured ones at all. Those do look pretty boring.

Yes, kinda like Frango mints, with a cookie wafer inside. I'm not big on cookies/sweets in general, but I do like thin mints. A lot.

-ERD5-

I find these pretty close to GS thin mints, but cheaper. Of course, we’ve also often bought from GS too, to support their efforts.

I just bought some of these today on sale at Stop & Shop. [emoji39]

https://www.keebler.com/en_US/cookies-and-more/fudge-shoppe/grasshopper-cookies.html

Last edited:
The door to door salesman discussion reminded me of an experience from 50 yrs ago. An apparently life insurance salesman came to our South Florida home. he did not introduce himself when my Dad answered the door, simply extended his hand, the other one holding a briefcase, and said "life of Virginia" . I watched as my Dad firmly grasped the proffered hand ,smiled somewhat deviously, and said "death of Florida".

Blood drained from the man's face as I guess he thought he had just met a serial killer or some such thing. He struggled to get his hand free as my Dad allowed his grip to loosen. Then the man fled down the driveway. After a moment of shared silence, my Dad and I laughed and laughed.

never did see that salesman again.

Very smart, and I would completely understand if I were the one supplying the ride.

Very smart, and I would completely understand if I were the one supplying the ride.

Problem is of course, the person intending harm is probably driving a stolen car or stolen plates, or doesn't stop for them, just runs them down first..

So basically a lot of nice guys get their photo taken.

I picked one of those PCT hikers up! It was great to talk with them. I passed them at the top of the pass. Typically first thought would have been ....bum. But this was way out there. Andi knew the PCT crossed there. So I turned around and they squeezed in.They were a couple from Germany. She was a doc and he was a software whatever. They were going to overnight in Sisters, but needed to resupply at REI in ben. I dropped them off at REI and told them if you need a ride to Sisters call me up. They did I ran them back to Sisters.

I forget their "trail name" but they sent me a picture from the Canada end of the PCT

I met three brothers and a guy from France while I was backpacking around Mt. Adams this summer. I told them to call me in Portland if they needed a place to stay. They stayed with us for the weekend and we went to REI. Then we met up with the brothers Aunt and Uncle who had just hiked the Oregon section of the PCT.

The one brother had been leaning against a tree in the North Cascades when the tree was struck by lightening. It knock the shoes right off his feet and he landed a ways away from the tree. The other three were standing by him and were knocked off their feet. They were all really lucky.

They were great fun to have around. I'm still in touch with the guy from France. I have a pic of him on the southern terminus (they were south bounders.)

How many pay a monthly payment until they pass, or move to a retirement home, or sell to move to an apartment only because they cannot afford the payment of the mortgage? I bet there is a fair amount of people that carry a mortgage into retirement that wish they didn't, and only did so through a lack of planning. In all of the cases mentioned above, the mortgage would be paid either through sale, by life insurance, by the estate or by the heirs that wish to keep the home.

Well, we have seen this up close and personal with the house we just bought. The seller was a single woman who built the house in 2007 with her husband. A couple years after they built it, he went hunting and never returned home and ultimately divorced her. She had worked at the GM plant, but that shut down a few years ago and had since been working at a nursery and not making a lot of money. Then, at the age of 71, she lost her job and could no longer afford the house. We did get a decent deal on the house, but she was mad, bitter and in the end (at closing) was just plain nasty to us.

Her net amount (after paying the mortgages (2) off) was enough to buy her a nice home not too far away (for cash) that would I think would be perfect for a 71 year old single woman...but she hated it and was mad as hell she couldn't stay in her "dream home". Had she not had the mortgages on the house, she could have very well have stayed...but the mortgages were just too much. I suspect that she also had a spending problem...the movers told us that her total weight was almost 35,000 pounds...it was a lot. A couple of times we were at the house before we finally took possession, we could barely walk around because of all the stuff. We filled a 19 yard dumpster with stuff she left which included no less than 200 5 gallon buckets left from all the trees she planted though the years. Oh yeah, and she hadn't paid the fairly cheap HOA dues since 2014. :blush:

What's my point? I am not really sure, except that having a mortgage when you have unexpected life events happen at a not-so-ripe age of 71 can have significant impacts.

I met three brothers and a guy from France while I was backpacking around Mt. Adams this summer. I told them to call me in Portland if they needed a place to stay. They stayed with us for the weekend and we went to REI. Then we met up with the brothers Aunt and Uncle who had just hiked the Oregon section of the PCT.

The one brother had been leaning against a tree in the North Cascades when the tree was struck by lightening. It knock the shoes right off his feet and he landed a ways away from the tree. The other three were standing by him and were knocked off their feet. They were all really lucky.

They were great fun to have around. I'm still in touch with the guy from France. I have a pic of him on the southern terminus (they were south bounders.)

Wow...I think the south bounders are pretty rare. Because snow in the North early then hot sun & dry land later in the summer in the South. Did they say why they went opposite?

I keep an eye out at the crossing now. Should probably look into becoming a Trail angel.

Back
Top Bottom