Financial Advice Columnist falls for $50K scam

I am leaning toward what erd50 said, this probably never happened, she is just making it up for clicks.

I've seen some buzz on talking-heads TV as well as late-night to the same effect. There simply haven't been enough details given to make sense of the whole thing, so I'm calling "scam" (by her!) until further notice.

I will say that she must be desperate for clicks to make herself sound so stupid (or gullible.) Still, that's what it sounds like though YMMV.

I thought maybe it was made up.

I have been relieved by how many commenters have expressed skepticism for the veracity of the story but most seem to be taking it at face value. I only saw one article questioning the story

https://www.nationalreview.com/2024/02/about-that-viral-50000-scam-story-i-have-questions/

There is one other potential angle. Perhaps she did not involve lawyers or law enforcement because:

1) She or her family involved in something, maybe illegal, that they do not want to shine the light on. The analogy is people who get robbed in the process of buying illegal drugs, or seeking out prostitutes - they do not report the crime as they were up to something themselves.

2) She blew $50K in some way, shape, or fashion that she does not want anyone to know about, and the scam story is her cover story.

I have zero proof of either.. but it is fun to speculate :D.

I have been relieved by how many commenters have expressed skepticism for the veracity of the story but most seem to be taking it at face value. I only saw one article questioning the story

https://www.nationalreview.com/2024/02/about-that-viral-50000-scam-story-i-have-questions/

There is one other potential angle. Perhaps she did not involve lawyers or law enforcement because:

1) She or her family involved in something, maybe illegal, that they do not want to shine the light on. The analogy is people who get robbed in the process of buying illegal drugs, or seeking out prostitutes - they do not report the crime as they were up to something themselves.

2) She blew $50K in some way, shape, or fashion that she does not want anyone to know about, and the scam story is her cover story.

I expressed doubt shortly after jazz4cash did. And I remain highly skeptical. I saw one news commentator question whether this was a current version of Jussie Smollett. The National Review article pointed out how unlikely it would be for this woman to take out $50,000 cash with nary an issue from the bank. The only "innocent" scenario I can think of is there is a serious gambling problem or other addiction and she needs to explain to her family how $50,000 went missing. But until/if she provides solid documentation to support her original story, I don't believe her.

This article about another financial advisor who was scammed on his Cancun timeshare. He paid $47,000 for it in 2005 and first was scammed in 2011 for $3,900, then proceeded to get re-scammed over and over to the tune of $1.8 million!

If these stories are true, it does not reflect well on the intelligence of financial advisors.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/addiction-thousands-americans-fall-prey-110449963.html

I read that story. Seems like what he should have done was to independently find his own lawyer to check these claims before sending any money.

This last line in the article is puzzling.

It’s in those moments that he asked himself: If he had just sent the $35,000 they asked for in January, would that have done the trick?

I see no mention of $35K nor any mention of the month of January. Did an overzealous editor chop up the story and leave this part out?

Happened to my mom. They needed $25k to bail me out of jail. Someone claiming to be me even came on the phone. Mom was so panicked it never occurred to her that I'd call DW instead but...when she said it didn't sound like me they said " I can't believe my own mother doesn't recognize my voice! "

She told them that she had no way to get to the bank and they offered to drive her there! Right about then, I called her myself as part of our morning ritual and I got her back on even keel.

A special kind of evil .

Wow!

Heh, heh, and so glad it's her and not me. "Uh, sorry, hon. I just lost $50K at the illegal craps table just before it got raided. BUT, I got out just before they could take me in too. So, it's just the $50K but no jail time and no bad publicity. I just need a way to cover the loss up. Uuhhh. Hon? Hon? Honey?? UUuuuuhhhhh....":LOL:

Another reason to hire a criminal defense attorney instead of believing what you're told by scammers.

Back
Top Bottom