Bear Market Isn’t a Disaster for Retirees

Depends on how you value the market.

Relative to historical levels, the 100-year trend line and some P/E measures, stocks are roughly at "fair value," down from "horrifically overvalued" 9 years ago.

But relative to current interest rates, stocks are very cheap. A 6% earnings yield looks a lot cheaper with 3% Treasuries than with 8% Treasuries.

In reality, anyone can cherrypick their favorite metric to make valuations look either insanely cheap or wickedly overvalued.

My bible on the subject of valuation is "Valuing Wall Street." The book presents a thorough argument that there are two valid methods for valuing the stock-market, the q ratio and cyclically-adjusted PE's. They also review and demolish the arguments for alternative methods. If I recall correctly, they are particularly scathing about the idea that a comparison with bond interest rates tells you anything at all. (I think this valuation method falls into the category of what they sarcastically refer to as "stock-broker economics," completely spurious arguments whose only purpose is to convince people to buy shares. At different times different "stock-broker economics" arguments are deployed for that purpose. In fairness, I will say that I have seen such arguments deployed in serious newspapers, such as the Financial Times.)

Cyclically-adjusted PE is saying shares are fairly valued. Somewhat worryingly, revised figures recently released by the US federal government have caused the authors of "Valuing Wall Street" to revise their q ratio estimate to put shares at still 30% overvalued. Obviously the two measures should agree, so there is a fair margin of error involved. Still, what's a 30% discrepancy, when seen against the backdrop that shares were heading toward 300% overvalued in 2000?

SEC yield(usually 3% minimum) of my portfolio in 'perceived hard times' and 5% variable when it's bon temps rolliere and party til you puke.

16th year of ER and not getting any younger.

Dat's kinda 4% give or take a warm hand grenade - or horsehoe.

:greetings10:

:ROFLMAO: I always thought it was a scream where these cats use computers/spreadsheets and deep analysis to come up with 4% - which just happened to be close to old thirty year portfolio's div/interest aka SEC yield in modern speak.

Heck - the Norwegian widow had that figured in 1948 - longhand, no 2 pencil using the back of an envelope waiting for her dividend checks by the mailbox.

Of course - after 1970 - we had pssst Wellesley. :rolleyes:

heh heh heh - :cool:

Back
Top Bottom