Best auto insurance carrier?

FloridaJim57

Recycles dryer sheets
I live in Florida which is a "no fault" state and have Geico. Don't know if they are good or not, as I have never needed them yet.

Some people choose auto insurance based on premium costs, others on flashy TV commercials, and others (?). USAA may be the best insurance auto and home company based on many reviews from reputable sources. But do your own search.

A web search for "best quality auto insurance companies" will identify what you are looking for. Geico is generally not in the top 5 regardless of their cute commercials.

Cheers!

But do your own search.

A web search for "best quality auto insurance companies" will identify what you are looking for.

+1

There are plenty of web sites that grade/rank insurance companies.

All you will get here are anecdotes.

You learn about good insurance companies when you need them the most. I have been with AMICA for over 50 years and they never disappoint. Shopping for the cheapest rate is not the way to go in my opinion and I always recommend solid financially strong companies with great customer service like USAA or AMICA for both car and home. Of course you need military service for USAA which I could do, but no reason for me to switch.

Everyone seems to have bad things to say about their insurance companies. GEICO is a Berkshire Hathaway company, and they're the second largest auto insurer behind State Farm.

The #1 insurer in quality would be Amica and the second would be USAA. Amica's a little expensive the first year as it's a mutual company and you have to buy in. And they're conservative on underwriting.

Many say go with an independent agent who can place you with a company like AutoOwners.

Talk to your favorite body shop and ask them, they will tell you which ones are good to work with and which ones are not.

We are 0 for 2 with GEICO and their subsidiary Criterion for auto insurance. I have family members that swear by them but have never filed claims. Their online user interface is very good but they really let us down when we needed help. I’ve had good luck going with an insurance broker that reps more than one company and can go to bat for you, but we currently have The Hartford (AARP) for auto and Nationwide homeowners. Fortunately we don’t need to shop for the cheapest insurer. I’d take less coverage/ higher deductible to have a (hopefully) better insurer. Nationwide raised our rates right after they replaced our roof and but they are still very competitive. It’s crapshoot, really.

I'm very happy with USAA. A while back I did the get insurance quotes from ## companies at once web service. They ask you to upload a copy of your insurance policy declarations page to make apples to apples comparison quotes. I was surprised to see that USAA had the best rates for me, and so far there are no signs of identity theft from the experience :LOL:

I was surprised to see that USAA had the best rates for me

Not surprising. I check other companies about every five years, just out of curiosity. None of them have ever come even close to what I pay USAA for the same coverage.

However, I think your ZIP code is a much bigger factor in insurance pricing than many people think.

Back
Top Bottom