Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019 - Please post updates here

Ally's site doesn't show a 14mo CD. Is that only a private offer?

https://www.ally.com/bank/cd-rates/
If you have an Ally account, sign in, and go into anyone of your accounts. The advertising for the 14 month should be on the upper right hand section. When I logged off it appeared on the logged off page.

Last edited:
The only place I see it is when I go to open a new Cd, and it shows at bottom of list as 14 month special. When I click that it is 2.85% APY. HTH

Your just not seeing it. It's under "Tips and Opportunities" after you log into your account. It's on everyone's account.

Your just not seeing it. It's under "Tips and Opportunities" after you log into your account. It's on everyone's account.

I don't have any menu item for Tips and Opps - can you provide a link or screen shot - (without showing any personal info of course).

ETA: not on the top right section or anything on any of my account pages. Not available in the drop down of choices if I were to transfer to a new CD. I can get the direct link someone posted above, but this is limited promo. I'm sure I could get it but it's not being put in front of everyone as far as I can see.

Last edited:
No "Tips and Opportunities" on my home page either.

Nothing on Explore Products, nothing under Open An Account.

Last edited:
At least for me, after I log in on my computer I see a list of "Bank Accounts". Directly above that is a blue bar that says "Tips and Opportunities" which lists the 14 month special. Is it possible you guys are using a mobile device which doesn't have the same version? Also, when I log out the main Alley screen automatically shows the same special.

Of course you can always call them.

I tried e-mailing/messaging them on the site a few weeks ago. After a week, I got back a response that said it should show on my home page now. Nope. Other banks were offering 2.85 percent for 12 months, so I did not go with Ally.

No "Tips and Opportunities" on my home page either.

Nothing on Explore Products, nothing under Open An Account.

Maybe try another Browser..I've been having Firefox problems and couldn't see all the options..Tried Chrome and everything showed up.

After 13 posts, can we move the "how to use the Ally website" to its own thread now?

It’s there, just doesn’t show under their CD comparison.

I was seeing it at the top when I typed in Ally.com

I did not see it when I typed that in.

This is not about how to use the website. This is about Ally being selective about who is shown that offer.

This is not about how to use the website. This is about Ally being selective about who is shown that offer.
I don't know why they don't list it with the other CD offering. It's not like this is an UNBELIEVABLE rate.

I just ended up buying another 2.85% 14 month CD. It was the easiest option for me.

We’ll see what rates look like near the end of the year. If fuel prices stabilize - and it looks like they have - rates should be higher near the end of the year barring an economic slowdown.

CD ladders - how many CDs & how many different institutions

I am starting my research to set up my first CD ladder. I'm wanting to create something along the lines of 1 - 2 years of regular expenses put into the ladder.

(Current monthly income comes from rental properties, investment dividends and a CRT. 6-10 years before tapping into retirement accounts).

I've been thinking in terms of having a CD mature every 6 months (For now, one year apart seems too long even with an income stream). Over time (starting with shorter terms for some steps of the new ladder), I will get to the point of having one mature every 6 months - which can be put into a new 5 year CD. (Assuming the longer ones are generally the best rates).

HOWEVER - seems like many people on this thread are frequently buying CDs as good rates show up. But how is it they have the available cash to do that? And how many different locations do you hold your money? Is it really worth it to chase down the last $100?

Also - how often is this with money outside of a fixed CD ladder (like extra rungs on the ladder?)

(So many questions from this newbie - THANKS for any & all advice)

HOWEVER - seems like many people on this thread are frequently buying CDs as good rates show up. But how is it they have the available cash to do that? And how many different locations do you hold your money?

Also - how often is this with money outside of a fixed CD ladder (like extra rungs on the ladder?)

(So many questions from this newbie - THANKS for any & all advice)

I gather for many (as is the case with me) that in general a fair amount is kept in a high yield savings or money market account. When a good CD or bonus offer pops up, money can be moved around. With the high yield savings and money market accounts anywhere from 2.0%-2.4% there is little lost in having a good amount there and then taking advantage of good offers when they materialize.

Additionally, for me at least, my portfolio is heavily weighted towards fixed income with the bulk in CDs, munis, and treasuries and I have maturities continually (minimally twice a month) in addition to interest being paid almost daily. So I am buying new CDs monthly as funds become available.

Is it really worth it to chase down the last $100?

I am always on the lookout for bonus offers because the effective yield can be many times the yield on a CD itself or savings/MM account. For instance, back in October we had the Ally 1% bonus offer for keeping the money in place for 3 months. So, for 3 months, that's a bump in the yield by an additional 4%, on up to $100k. I just took advantage of the Discover savings account bonus for daughter (did it for wife and myself a year ago) - it's one of the best around - deposit $15k (or $25k), they credit $150 (or $200) bonus within 2 weeks, withdraw it all with no fees or penalty. That's 26% APY - two weeks for what would have taken 6 months in savings or a CD. HSBC checking offer is another really good one - deposit $1500, they give you $200 bonus. I think you need to keep that one open for 6 months, but still - we're talking 26% APY there as well.

In my view, it's not simply chasing down the "last" $100 - it's more a matter of how quickly you'll be given that $100? Lather, rinse, repeat.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I just checked my Ally account. The 14-month Select CD that I opened a couple of weeks ago, as a rollover from maturing CD, now magically shows an APY of 2.9%. So Ally did bump up the APY a bit, without me having to do a thing!

(See posts 203, 205 and 206 above for the gist.)

Thank you adrift! :flowers: I wouldn't have known about this without your comments.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom