Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019 - Please post updates here

NFCU = only game in town at the moment.
Scored on their 40 month 3.75% $150k max cd earlier in the year.
17 month ok to add cd 3.25% started in Feb.
And am sweating the 5 yr 3.50% holds till Thurs as I have 140k in route.
That should show up Wed-Thurs............

Pen Fed 3.4 5yr, Ally 2.75 1 yr, and Mountain America 3.25-3.5 5yr, were great 8-12 months ago. But no mas.
Did score with brokered 12 month 2.7% CD's at Ch Schwab though. Was able to sell them last week at 100+%. As Ch Sch CD's are falling like a stone.
Their 5 yr is barley 2% now.........
Am locking everything up I can up for 5 yrs. As things do not look too good going forward. I can sleep like a rock with a 3.5% average..Just my take.
No idea why we had the rate cut this month. And again in Sep. But here we are.
Politics I guess. Huge Trump supporter over here. Until it comes to interest rates.

Last edited:
NFCU = only game in town at the moment.
Scored on their 40 month 3.75% $150k max cd earlier in the year.
17 month ok to add cd 3.25% started in Feb.
And am sweating the 5 yr 3.50% holds till Thurs as I have 140k in route.
That should show up Wed-Thurs............

Pen Fed 3.4 5yr, Ally 2.75 1 yr, and Mountain America 3.25-3.5 5yr, were great 8-12 months ago. But no mas.
Did score with brokered 12 month 2.7% CD's at Ch Schwab though. Was able to sell them last week at 100+%. As Ch Sch CD's are falling like a stone.
Their 5 yr is barley 2% now.........
Am locking everything up I can up for 5 yrs. As things do not look too good going forward. I can sleep like a rock with a 3.5% average..Just my take.
No idea why we had the rate cut this month. And again in Sep. But here we are.
Politics I guess. Huge Trump supporter over here. Until it comes to interest rates.

Space Coast CU in FLA is the other game in a "small town".
I have 140k teeing up for them for this Monday after selling brokered CD's for a gain held at Fidelity.
Agree with you that 3.5% locked up for 5 years is the best route now (adding if not in bond funds or individual bonds).

Just transferred money from Ally to NFCU and purchased a 3.0% 18 Month CD

I'm out of both Ally and Marcus save for a couple hundred bucks. Put cash into NFCU 18 and 60 month CDs.

Ally still has a 1.9% sav... (down from 2.20% not long ago)...............

Anyone know of any add on CD's that are available? I'm selling a rental home but won't have proceeds for several months. I think my NFCU 2.2 add on has a $ limit. Will they let me open more than one?

3.5% 5 yr at NFCU ends 8/18/19.
(Got locked in this morning) :dance:

Curious where does it state the offer ending date on their site?
As mentioned previously, I am looking at a different similar product, but wish to know if one typically would know when the offer expires.

It doesn't. I called in this morning, and the IRA desk just got the word.
Always terrifying moving IRA money. Some take a day or two to wire.
Stodgy places still require mailed hard copy checks.
Vanguard was the worst. Good riddance to them... lol lol

Always terrifying moving IRA money. lol

We’ve also learned that lesson.

We have had one bad experience with a direct rollover to a credit union, where about $250k was wandering aimlessly in their mail trays for a few weeks. In the meantime, the interest rates we were chasing had dropped, but we were stuck.

They added to those shenanigans later by improperly coding that rollover as a taxable event.

My knees buckled upon receipt of that 1099-R.
(They issued a corrected 1099-R, but still....)

As a result, for our recent IRA funds move to NFCU, we used the once-yearly 60-day routine.

Everything went more smoothly, and we are very happy so far with our new credit union.

I completed the micro-deposit test from Vanguard to NFCU, but now it says, "You've completed the micro-deposit authentication process. We're now in the process of verifying your bank information. Once this process is complete, you'll be able to use this bank to move money from eligible accounts."

I hope this process completes quickly so that I can transfer the money to my NFCU savings. It said the same thing yesterday. But, then I'll need to wait for the transfer to NFCU to complete before I can start the CD there. I feel like I'm running close to the deadline here.

It doesn't. I called in this morning, and the IRA desk just got the word.
Always terrifying moving IRA money. Some take a day or two to wire.
Stodgy places still require mailed hard copy checks.
Vanguard was the worst. Good riddance to them... lol lol

Aha thanks.
I am actually traveling 2.5 hours next week to the local SUCU branch and handing them a check to take effect that day. There are no branches near me and one can't open it on the phone.
Of course, now I have to make sure the IRS treats it as 60 day rollover, since the check is made out to my DGF.

(Got locked in this morning) :dance:

How does one get "locked in"? I signed up and submitted all the paperwork to them on 8/1.... they mailed to Vanguard, Vanguard mailed out a check yesterday and the impression that I have is that worst case I get locked in when the check is received... perhaps even earlier.

Aha thanks.
I am actually traveling 2.5 hours next week to the local SUCU branch and handing them a check to take effect that day. There are no branches near me and one can't open it on the phone.
Of course, now I have to make sure the IRS treats it as 60 day rollover, since the check is made out to my DGF.

I think that when you make the deposit that you want to be specific that it is a rollover so they code it that way.

I think that when you make the deposit that you want to be specific that it is a rollover so they code it that way.

Agree. Fidelity stated the same.

One word of caution on the NFCU Certs - the 3% 18-month has a 180 day EWP, and the 3.5% 5-year has a 365 day (!) EWP..

Yeah, those are a bit stiff but I don't think I'll need the money in 5 years and they do allow partial withdrawals with the EWP applying only to the amount withdrawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there

Just finished our new memberships this morn. The gentleman I spoke to said they had no idea as to upcoming rate changes until they actually changed. He said as long as I had one of their reps do the transfer that we would be locked in on that date even if the rates changed the next day??

I like the GTE cu 3% 5 year add on cert. I opened with a 500 dollar balance and at any time in the 5 years I can add to it in any amount and get the 3 percent.

I view it as cheap “interest rate decline insurance “

If we follow Europe 3% will look awesome!

One word of caution on the NFCU Certs - the 3% 18-month has a 180 day EWP, and the 3.5% 5-year has a 365 day (!) EWP..

I had read that somewhere, but it wasn't a concern for me. I've never withdrawn a CD early in my life.

Yeah, those are a bit stiff but I don't think I'll need the money in 5 years and they do allow partial withdrawals with the EWP applying only to the amount withdrawn.
Good to know. I bought one a few weeks ago, thinking I will have no need, but you never know.

I had read that somewhere, but it wasn't a concern for me. I've never withdrawn a CD early in my life.

Us either, but I'm looking for a new home for some funds currently in VMMXX and some of those $s could be needed in <5 yrs if we ever do find a new house to buy..sure would be nice to get the 3.5% yield, though if the EWP weren't so severe..

If the NFCU special ends on the 18th, it's not looking promising for me. I'm still waiting on Vanguard to complete the verification of the NFCU account, which could be about a week, and then I have to complete a transfer to my NFCU account as well. I hate to miss out, and I expect a lower rate with their next special.

Back
Top Bottom