Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2020 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have this type of free cash available but this is a good (fraud) catch.
Good Job.

Thanks MJ. Gave out some info, but at least didn't send the monies. Would have been a disaster especially since it was my parents' monies.

THE STORY (long, and the mods should feel free to move it to another thread if they think it appropriate. Maybe start a Darwin award forum):

OK, first off, no blame to njhowie at all. This was a perfect example of "If it's too good to be true, it's not true". I've listed all the red flags I ignored, just for educational purposes. The first one was that the rates were too high, and they didn't drop when the Fed dropped the interest rate.
Sounds like the making of thrilling short story. "Found" money!

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry. It's a domain registered in Russia, which might be a bit suspicious for a DC area Wealth Management company.
Might be a "bit" suspicious? ;)

Sounds like the making of thrilling short story. "Found" money!

Well, I'm going to let T-Al write it. I'd like to put it behind me. I was talking on the phone to a friend about it today, and my heart started pounding and my hands started shaking again. It wasn't thrilling, it was devastating, although with a happy ending.

Well, I'm going to let T-Al write it. I'd like to put it behind me. I was talking on the phone to a friend about it today, and my heart started pounding and my hands started shaking again. It wasn't thrilling, it was devastating, although with a happy ending.
I should have written suspenseful but no fun experiencing it.

Got an email this morning Navy Federal is waiving the early withdrawal penalty on their CD’s. Maybe take some out and put in stocks! Lol.

Got an email this morning Navy Federal is waiving the early withdrawal penalty on their CD’s. Maybe take some out and put in stocks! Lol.

Of course they are, look for others to follow, we are making 3%+ on ours why would we take em' out.:rolleyes:

PS. I did detect an air of Sarcasm in your post. :)

Last edited:

I'm doing the opposite... while the 3.5% IRA CD that I bought last summer doesn't allow additional deposits they have opened a special temporary window from now until 4/30 to make additional deposits so I topped my IRA CD up to the NCUA limit... I'l skim off interest each year as needed.

Of course they are, look for others to follow, we are making 3%+ on ours why would we take em' out.:rolleyes:

Agree. I’m so glad we have those 3+% CD’s now. One thought I had was to put my immediate money (currently in MM) into the Navy 2.25% CD (we set up with $50 and it allows additional deposits).

I didn’t get the email but I see it listed among other temporary response measures to support members needs during the pandemic. It’s perfect timing for me to buy something on sale.

Edit: thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
I pulled funds from an NFCU certificate. Called them up and they needed a written request but told me to specify how to debit the EWP. WHAT?? I asked for clarification and had to affirm the the request was due to the pandemic (to bolster my emergency funds). Penalties waived.

Agree. I’m so glad we have those 3+% CD’s now. One thought I had was to put my immediate money (currently in MM) into the Navy 2.25% CD (we set up with $50 and it allows additional deposits).

+1 Just opened his and her NFCU 17-mo, 2.25% APR CDs with $50 minimum by credit card and transferring additional deposit money from Vanguard by wire tomorrow.

Also opened Roth for DW and seeded with $50 for 37-mo 3.0% APR and will transfer DW's Roth to that... I already have a 5-year tIRA CD from last summer with 3.5% APR.

I think 2.25% and 3.0% and 3.5% APR on NCUA insured ballast money is going to be very attractive over the next 17-37 months.... especially given the interest rate risk of bond funds if we ever get out of this mess.

ETA: Trying to decide for DW's Vanguard Roth account whether to close it/transfer entire balance or leave a little in it so we have it in case we ever want to transfer back to Vanguard later... thoughts:confused:

Last edited:
Getting ready to reinvest a current 2.90% CD that comes due this week, like most of us I figured that when this rate was over I'd be looking at 3% to 4%! How times change!

On a positive note, for many years I've had an unusual amount of cash invested in low performing CD's, with nearly every "expert" telling me not too. I'm guessing that many on this forum are like me and sleep better at night knowing they have a certain amount of cash compared to dealing with our daily huge stock market swings.

As for my other investments, this cash gives me plenty of comfort while waiting for its return.

Last edited:
+1 Just opened his and her NFCU 17-mo, 2.25% APR CDs with $50 minimum by credit card and transferring additional deposit money from Vanguard by wire tomorrow.

Also opened Roth for DW and seeded with $50 for 37-mo 3.0% APR and will transfer DW's Roth to that... I already have a 5-year tIRA CD from last summer with 3.5% APR.

I think 2.25% and 3.0% and 3.5% APR on NCUA insured ballast money is going to be very attractive over the next 17-37 months.... especially given the interest rate risk of bond funds if we ever get out of this mess.

ETA: Trying to decide for DW's Vanguard Roth account whether to close it/transfer entire balance or leave a little in it so we have it in case we ever want to transfer back to Vanguard later... thoughts:confused:

Hmmm. Never thought to open a 2nd 17/mo CD for for DW. I’ll do that too with $50.

As to the Roth how did you open with $50 without income? Must have been a transfer from existing Roth? I’d keep both open in case you change your mind and buy stocks (especially if the money is likely go to the kids).

... As to the Roth how did you open with $50 without income? Must have been a transfer from existing Roth? I’d keep both open in case you change your mind and buy stocks (especially if the money is likely go to the kids).

I opened the account with $50 to lock in the CD by charging the $50 to my credit card. Then I'll move her Roth at Vanguard into Navy Federal.... say that is $90k so her balance will be $90,050. Then I'll withdraw the $50 plus any interest out as a mistaken contribution so what will be left is the $90k transferred from her Roth.

Alternatively, I could take move her whole Roth other than $50 and treat th $50 as a rollover contribution and take the last $50 out of her Roth as a withdrawal.

Last edited:

I opened the 17 month CD last week, but it never dawned on me to open a second for DW :facepalm:. I guess I need to get her to apply. Hopefully it lasts that long.

I also have the 37 month 3% CD, but, again, did not think of DW. We have been treating her Roth as inheritance money for DS (very long term, all in the market, but maybe I will re-think that).

Thanks for another kick in the butt :D

Thanks pb4uski for the ideas. Just set up the 17-month CD for my wife. We have some 18 month CD’s expiring in Feb 2021 so if rates are real low then will be able to put it in her CD (for the last 6 months).

WRT opening accounts for spouses, I just remembered about the $50 bonus at NFCU for setting up your first IRA CD. Doesn't help me but DW will qualify when I open one up for her.

On NFCU site for the 17 month 2.25% cd, it says only one per member. But we have a cpl of them under our trust, wonder if they'd allow us to put a cpl under just our name, hmm? Forgot to call them today.

I notice that all the Andrews FCU CD specials have vanished. Glad I moved earlier to catch what I could.

[Mod note and request]

Apparently surprising many folks, mods are not all-seeing, and we do not read every thread every day every post. And nope, we don't read every "oops hey mods can you clean up on aisle 3 we put scam links on that post 2 pages back".

To get our attention, please use the report button. It's the little caution sign in the panel under the user info next to a post.

I've gone thru and scrubbed all the links to the scam site that I could find, but if I missed any, please use the report button and I'll get those too.

[Mod note and request]

Apparently surprising many folks, mods are not all-seeing, and we do not read every thread every day every post. And nope, we don't read every "oops hey mods can you clean up on aisle 3 we put scam links on that post 2 pages back".

To get our attention, please use the report button. It's the little caution sign in the panel under the user info next to a post.

I've gone thru and scrubbed all the links to the scam site that I could find, but if I missed any, please use the report button and I'll get those too.

I hadn't checked in a couple of days, but it appears the scam website has been taken down (finally). I hope some of my complaints to the FBI and FTC had something to do with that. But I never heard back from either of those organizations.

I opened the account with $50 to lock in the CD by charging the $50 to my credit card. Then I'll move her Roth at Vanguard into Navy Federal.... say that is $90k so her balance will be $90,050. Then I'll withdraw the $50 plus any interest out as a mistaken contribution so what will be left is the $90k transferred from her Roth.

Alternatively, I could take move her whole Roth other than $50 and treat th $50 as a rollover contribution and take the last $50 out of her Roth as a withdrawal.

I just did this plan as well. Instead of a credit card I wrote a check for $50 and did a instant mobile deposit to checking. Then minutes later opened the Roth CD (transferring from checking). Total process time was about 5 minutes all from home.

Wanted to do this today in case the rates change tomorrow. Now I need to decide how much I really want to put in there (using the method you outlined above).

3.14% on 2 year jumbo CD? Globe Limited Group

This rate seems suspiciously high in this market. Website says Globe Limited Group is an HSBC Company and FDIC insured. Sold a rental property and looking for something safe. Anyone have experience with them?

Be SUPER cautious, earlier there was a similar rate, and scam that nearly got one member for $250K.

Any web link ?
Why is it not with HSBC directly ?
If they ask for a wire transfer, sign of a scam in my books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom