Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2020 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best deal that I know of right now is Navy Federal's 37-month IRA CD special of 3% APY. But you need to be able to qualify to be a member and it has to be IRA money (can be traditional or Roth). $150k max IIRC.

Put DW's Roth into one of these a few weeks ago.

Great Deal!

Anyone know how much one can ACH out of NFCU when initiated from an OUTSIDE source/destination such as Vanguard? I know if initiated from NFCU to and outside destination is $5k per day. That would take quite a few transactions for $250k.

I don't know the answer to you question but if it is for the special it would usually be a wire or check as a trustee-to-trustee transfer. If you want to do a rollover, you could deposit a check at a local branch (Tampa)... or at least you could have pre-COVID.

I don't know the answer to you question but if it is for the special it would usually be a wire or check as a trustee-to-trustee transfer. If you want to do a rollover, you could deposit a check at a local branch (Tampa)... or at least you could have pre-COVID.

My local CU (Not NFCU) does not charge for wire transfers for old farts like me... again not sure about NFCU. But I do not have to worry about it for another year.

+1.

Basically what I did. Fill out the form. Send it to NFCU. On the form you can select check or wire transfer. As far as I could tell there were no limits on the amount, though I did it in two separate transfers due to funds availability. FYI it is an add on CD, so you can add more later up to the maximum.

EDIT to add: Just realized that the questions was a transfer OUT, not in.

Last edited:
So if you went in and changed each instant of a limit of 6 to 999 or 99 wouldn't it get you pretty close?
I never programmed professionally in COBOL. I'd like to think I'd have put this in a config file, with 0 meaning unlimited.

I was mostly an Assembler guy, but I did do some COBOL. As I remember (going back a really long time) most COBOL programs tended to have hard coded values. You ran them using JCL which might contain some run time PARM values, but not many. Most of the values were contained in the (I can't remember the real name) section at the beginning of the program, and if you needed to change one of those values you'd change it in the program, recompile it, and off you go. So it's probably not buried in the actual coding, and would only need to be changed in that definition section. At least in my really old experience.

So it sounds like it should be a pretty simple change.... acknowldging that things are frequently not as simple as they seem.

So if you went in and changed each instant of a limit of 6 to 999 or 99 wouldn't it get you pretty close?

COBOL used a PIC statement to define variable sizes and record layouts.
Here's an example of a zip code:
[SIZE=-1]ZIP-PLUS-4 PIC 99999X9999
[/SIZE]​
Where the "9"'s specify the data can be numbers.

So if the field for the transfers happens to look like this:
NUM_TRANSFERS_PER_MONTH PIC 9
They can't go past single digits without pain whether its hard coded or not.

So if the field for the transfers happens to look like this:
NUM_TRANSFERS_PER_MONTH PIC 9
They can't go past single digits without pain whether its hard coded or not.

So change the application and write and test a file conversion program. Nothing is simple, is it?

I also hope this thread gets back on track. Not that there are many opportunities just now but, historically it has been very informative and helpful.

Seems like the regional and local offerings are about all that is still happening - and mostly as bonus amounts, not higher interest. Not real exciting having a $150 bonus be on a 25-50k deposit with 15 debit card transactions and direct deposit and wearing a puce sweater vest on Thursday outside the posted branch between 10 and 11:30.
I just put a large chunk into Ally bank no penalty CDs with various titling to stay FDIC insured. Boring, but prepared.

I wonder how much further high-yield savings rates will inch down. My Vio accounts are now 1.6% (was 1.7% last week).

I have an Ally no-penalty CD maturing this month so I was looking at the options to roll it over. The yield curve is indeed screwy. The 11-month no-penalty CD rate is 1.5% (plus a 0.05% bonus for rolling it over, and this is for >$25k) while their 3-year "regular" CD with early withdrawal penalty is 1.55%.

So, I'm rolling it over to another no-penalty CD. The money has been slated for buying a new house, but we still can't find one we like besides the issues raised during the current situation.

Edit to add: I could put it in their savings account also at 1.5% but I figure the CD will lock the rate to no lower than that. If rates do go up, it's no penalty so I can move the money.

Last edited:
I have an Ally no-penalty CD maturing this month so I was looking at the options to roll it over. The yield curve is indeed screwy. The 11-month no-penalty CD rate is 1.5% (plus a 0.05% bonus for rolling it over, and this is for >$25k) while their 3-year "regular" CD with early withdrawal penalty is 1.55%.

So, I'm rolling it over to another no-penalty CD. The money has been slated for buying a new house, but we still can't find one we like besides the issues raised during the current situation.

Edit to add: I could put it in their savings account also at 1.5% but I figure the CD will lock the rate to no lower than that. If rates do go up, it's no penalty so I can move the money.

Makes sense.
I am doing the same in Ally, but still have higher rate no penalty CD's in the accounts.
Effectively their no penalty CD is another high yield savings choice.

Hi njhowie,

We’re writing to let you know that effective today, the rate on our Marcus high-yield Online Savings Account has been adjusted down to 1.30% from 1.55% APY.

Wow! That's a big move the wrong way.

Discover is still at 1.4%

Last edited:
I'm sure everyone else isn't far behind.

I expect they will all be hovering at 1.0% before year end.

Synchrony bank had dropped to 1.3% from 1.5% on May 5.

In 2013/2014 some of my accounts had gotten as low as 0.8% I think, and held there for a very long time, before very slowing going back up years later.

Better than the MM funds. Most of my have already dropped to 0.01%

Last edited:
I think you all have high expectations considering that fed funds futures were pricing in negative rates as early as November this morning. If you have access to Navy Federal, might be worth opening a 2 year "Easy Start" CD that allows additional deposits.

Perhaps a good time to lock in the 1.5% at Ally with their no penalty 11 mo CD?

My Marcus savings account--

6/27/19--2.15%
8/27/19--2.00%
10/4/19--1.90%
11/19/19--1.70%
4/15/20--1.55%
5/8/20--1.30%

Almost a point in less than a year. That's still better than my Chase savings account that is paying 0.02%. Wonder when they will cut that in half to 0.01%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom