Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #741
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Wow. Tough crowd. I don’t get much junk mail from AARP, I wasn’t advocating for joining to get the bonus, and I’m not trying to change your mind. I just thought it might remind some readers that didn’t know about it or never got around to signing up.
Sorry, I didn't mean anything toward you or your post. It is a useful tip for those who want to take it. But my math is still correct. And one of the complaints I've heard for some time here is that AARP membership causes a lot of mail from them and their partners. Maybe that's not so true anymore?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #742
Give me a forum ...

I dunno. I’m fairly immune to junk mail. We get a crapload but AARP doesn’t stand out.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #743
Give me a forum ...

VMMXX Prime Money Market fund adjusting Fees so returns do not turn NEGATIVE! I just saw this on Bloomberg.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #744
Give me a forum ...

I took the leap and snailed mailed the Dominion Energy Reliability Investment application today. From what I read it is akin to directly investing in Dominion Energy commercial paper... but administratively operates somewhat like an online savings account. Obviously no FDIC insurance. S&P BBB, Moody's Baa so some credit risk.

1.50% for balances up to $10k, 1.75% over $50k and 1.60% in between... so for me about 1% better than online savings... similar functionality but higher credit risk. Not sure how much I will go in on this but I wanted to at least establsh the account.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...9220d424b5.htm

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #745
Give me a forum ...

https://banking.citi.com/cbol/high-y...B1827C1BF5CF32

I don't care for Citi, but this is a 0.9% savings account, no fee with a $500 balance. Eyeball the fine print real well - I noted a $2.50 charge for ATM use and Citi is famous for gotchas. Still, 0.9%, FDIC insured...
Old 09-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #746
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Good find. I'd have to wonder how long the 0.9% will last give it is so much higher than other online savings accounts.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #747
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I took the leap and snailed mailed the Dominion Energy Reliability Investment application today. From what I read it is akin to directly investing in Dominion Energy commercial paper... but administratively operates somewhat like an online savings account. Obviously no FDIC insurance. S&P BBB, Moody's Baa so some credit risk.

1.50% for balances up to $10k, 1.75% over $50k and 1.60% in between... so for me about 1% better than online savings... similar functionality but higher credit risk. Not sure how much I will go in on this but I wanted to at least establsh the account.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...9220d424b5.htm
I have been considering investing in these corporate notes also. About ten years ago when on-line accounts were under 1%, I had accounts in GE Interest Plus (2009- 2014) and in Duke PremierNotes (2012 to 2016). I would limit my account balances to about $50K plus $1 to gain the highest interest tier, you would get that rate on the entire account balance. I will need to check if Dominion works the same way (my credit union does not in their tiered accounts). Of course , the GE demand notes are long gone, but Duke still offers the accounts, but not as generous as they once were. (https://www.duke-energy.com/our-comp...tes-investment). I have some CDs maturing in November that are paying 2.25% and will be looking for a place to park the proceeds.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #748
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Marcus moves to 0.60%

"We’re writing to let you know that effective today, the rate on our Marcus Online Savings Account has been adjusted to 0.60% from 0.80% APY"
Darn, I have a CD paying 1.8% that is maturing soon, I'll bet it matures just after Ally cuts the rates again
Old 09-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #749
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
https://banking.citi.com/cbol/high-y...B1827C1BF5CF32

I don't care for Citi, but this is a 0.9% savings account, no fee with a $500 balance. Eyeball the fine print real well - I noted a $2.50 charge for ATM use and Citi is famous for gotchas. Still, 0.9%, FDIC insured...

It has geographic limits also:

Unfortunately, this type of account is not available in your location.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #750
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
It has geographic limits also:

Unfortunately, this type of account is not available in your location.
Not available in my location either, though I'm in NYC & there are Citibank branches everywhere.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
And one of the complaints I've heard for some time here is that AARP membership causes a lot of mail from them and their partners. Maybe that's not so true anymore?
Quick anecdote: I want to work in the AARP Tax Aide program next tax season. The local person told me first step was to register as a volunteer on the AARP web site. Within minutes of submitting the form I got my first "verify your email address by clicking here" email from AARP. I ignored it and subsequently got 4 or 5 more through the evening. I finally clicked just to shut them up but immediately went on-line to remove myself from any emails from AARP. Haven't gotten one since. But I'll bet if I hadn't done that I already would be getting email solicitations for whatever they're selling. It particularly annoys me because I started the process to volunteer to work for free and they use the opportunity to market me! Grrrrrr....
Old 09-11-2020, 04:37 PM   #752

Back in the "old days" when NFCU was offering add-on CDs at decent interest rates, I jumped on the bandwagon. I moved some IRA bond money from VG to certs at 3% and above. At the suggestion of someone (on this board, I believe), I also got a few $50 non-IRA certificates as placeholders. Now that I have a few CDs maturing over the next few months, at least I can buy a little more time (10-12 months) at decent rates. I won't be buying a Porsche with the interest or anything like that, but I'm glad I bought the add-ons when I did.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:00 AM   #753

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
But I'll bet if I hadn't done that I already would be getting email solicitations for whatever they're selling. It particularly annoys me because I started the process to volunteer to work for free and they use the opportunity to market me! Grrrrrr....
We've been AARP members for over 10 years, have had our AARP online account from day one, and I log in probably 3 or 4 times a year. We might receive one email a year. Yeah, we get maybe 4 or 5 unsolicited marketing junk mail things annually, but it's under 10 total a year and so rare that I am just guessing at the numbers as it is so infrequent that it doesn't even register with me.

It's unfortunate that so many other folks have had negative experiences with them.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #754

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
We've been AARP members for over 10 years, have had our AARP online account from day one, and I log in probably 3 or 4 times a year. We might receive one email a year. Yeah, we get maybe 4 or 5 unsolicited marketing junk mail things annually, but it's under 10 total a year and so rare that I am just guessing at the numbers as it is so infrequent that it doesn't even register with me.

It's unfortunate that so many other folks have had negative experiences with them.
It is all in following through to reduce the mail you get from them. There are selections you make in your profile to do that. I too only get a few pieces a year from their advertisers (it isn't from AARP but they do collect a fee each time an advertiser sends a mailing).

- Rita
Old 09-17-2020, 08:29 AM   #755
Recycles dryer sheets

amex dropped to .6%
Old 09-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #756
Give me a forum ...

Oh great! That will be the lowest I’ve ever had from them. I think during the 2013-2016 period they didn’t drop through 0.7%.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #757
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Oh great! That will be the lowest I’ve ever had from them. I think during the 2013-2016 period they didn’t drop through 0.7%.

True. But they're doing it to serve you better.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
True. But they're doing it to serve you better.
Call 'em up. I understand that your call is important to them.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:08 AM   #759

I heard about this Dollar Bank promo offer this morning on the radio. I know it's good in OH, VA and PA.

https://www.dollar.bank/Personal/Workplace-Banking/Offers/Get-$400

The bonuses are paid out in steps, some as debit card rebates, some as checking account credits (hmm, what's the difference?) and then the last $100 at your one year anniversary. Checking account has a $5 monthly fee unless you have $2500 average collected balance or six payments https://www.dollar.bank/Personal/Ban...ation-Schedule

The bonuses are tied to the amount of direct deposits within 90 days.

I feel like somebody at the bank is going out of their way to invent new hoops to jump through! Dollar Bank is local to us and DHs pension direct deposit would get us the bonuses for that requirement. My Social Security deposit is already tied up from a previous bank promo (Key Bank $400) for a few more months.

We may go ahead and do this one. Our cash is sitting at DiscoverBank earning .60% as of this morning. I could park $2500 at Dollar Bank and get something out of it.

I just called Dollar Bank and asked some questions. You are issued a debit card and need to make $100 in purchases and then they refund $100 of that.

There is no credit check when you apply. There are verification questions based on public info.

"Average collected balance" can be satisfied by just leaving $2500 in there which is what I would do.

This promotion can all be done online, you don't have to go into a branch. This offer is for OH, PA and parts of VA in the Virginia Beach area.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:31 PM   #760
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Quite true.

I only buy brokered CD's when I know I will not need the money for the term of the CD.
LOL! Love your quote (but...easier said than done!): "Never slow down, never grow old!"
Closed Thread