Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 02:51 PM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
On a side note, does anyone know if the regular CD's offered by NFCU are add-on, like these specials? They still are offering 2% CD's, which looks pretty good right now, and I have some other CD's maturing over the next few months. If they are add-on, it might make sense to fund one now with seed money for the future additions.
Unless it says add-on, I don't think they are. That said, sometimes in the IRA season,( Dec 15-April15) they allow you to add new money to existing IRA CD's. This is year to year and not guarenteed(per CSR about 2 1/2 week ago). I was able to add to a 3.2% CD, so I was happy(It was not an add-on CD). My 3.75% was already full up to add on limit.(This was on a Roth Conversion)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 03:33 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just called Navy this morning and neither our non-IRA 3.5% CDs from 8/19 nor the 3% from 6/19 are Add-on. Bummer, as they are all small CDs so if we needed to fund something we would break a minimum amount. Going to have to stick money in the GTE 3% we've been holding in the back pocket. The 3% is now looking pretty good.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Just bought a 2.41% 60 month and a 2.01% 23 month CD this morning at a local bank. Not big, as I have my "CD monies" pretty much already locked up and committed. But something is better than nothing. And I'm filling in some of the blank spots on my CD ladder that I started a year or so ago.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I just called Navy this morning and neither our non-IRA 3.5% CDs from 8/19 nor the 3% from 6/19 are Add-on. Bummer, as they are all small CDs so if we needed to fund something we would break a minimum amount. Going to have to stick money in the GTE 3% we've been holding in the back pocket. The 3% is now looking pretty good.
I left them a secure message asking the same thing but I suspect that the answer is no because I bought mine the same time as you and I have a faint recollection of calling and asking back a few months ago when I was adding some money to my GTE Financial 3% IRA CD.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-09-2020, 11:34 PM   #145
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Current yields:
Fidelity SPAXX = 1.03%
Fidelity FNFXX = 1.00%
Fidelity FZFXX = 1.00%
Fidelity FDRXX = 1.08%

All will be sub-1.0% by month end.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:25 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Current yields:
Fidelity SPAXX = 1.03%
Fidelity FNFXX = 1.00%
Fidelity FZFXX = 1.00%
Fidelity FDRXX = 1.08%

Still have their premium MM fund FZDXX at 1.42%.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:28 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Still have their premium MM fund FZDXX at 1.42%.
No, it’s not yielding that. It’s down to 1.33% as of yesterday. These are all dropping fast.

Here is a useful Fidelity link to see all current yields https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mu...pricing-yields
Old 03-10-2020, 05:34 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Looked it up on the internet, but it appears to be at 1.33% on Fidelity.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:49 AM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

vmmxx now 1.53% - probably dropping soon
Old 03-10-2020, 06:55 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Discover Bank dropped to 1.6% when I looked at it yesterday.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #151

Waiting for our credit union's money market rate to drop from the current 1.65%. I don't think I've ever seen them drop rates in the middle of a month, but this month might prove to be an exception. Their one-year CD is 1.5%, but then they tend to offer good rates on their money market account while not so much on their CDs.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:43 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Anybody heard of an outfit called Fidelity Financial

They re running an ad in the Wash Post for 12 month CD @ 3.05 w/ FDIC. No website listed ...looks sketchy. I called them up and spoke to a rep. They offer brokered CDs from FDIC banks for taxable funds. They use some other product for IRA, probably a MYGA. Investment funds are made payable to the bank and not the broker so you don’t have an ongoing relationship with the broker. I’m curious/interested and might consider placing a tiny amour through them.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:47 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
Unless it says add-on, I don't think they are. That said, sometimes in the IRA season,( Dec 15-April15) they allow you to add new money to existing IRA CD's. This is year to year and not guarenteed(per CSR about 2 1/2 week ago). I was able to add to a 3.2% CD, so I was happy(It was not an add-on CD). My 3.75% was already full up to add on limit.(This was on a Roth Conversion)
Some of the specials are add one. Easy start CDs are always add one. The variable CD allows you to add money on the anniversary date.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 03-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #154
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just opened a 17 mo. at Navy Federal with $50.00
Pays 2.25%. $75k max dep. I believe.
As my last 17 month at NF is due in 3 months.
But it was at 3.25%
With the way things have been going, might as well.....
Cheap ins.

Hard to believe a 40 month was 3.75 150k max
and 5yr was 3.5% in 2019.............
Old 03-10-2020, 01:42 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

What looks Meh today will look great after awhile.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Went in yesterday and set up my Fifth Third checking account to get the $500 bonus, then came home and read that they had been doing the same fake account thing as Wells Fargo. Oh well, as long as I get my cash I'll be happy. Works out to 12.5% annually over the required 3 months. I'll do that as many times as I get the opportunity.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
Here is what I found out about my 3.5% NFCU Traditional IRA CD. It is not an add-on CD.... but, under a promotional add-on option they are currently allowing additional deposits until 4/30/2020. So I am in the process of doing the paperwork to top it up to the FDIC limit.

Quote:
Unfortunately, you will not be able to add funds to your IRA certificate ending in xxxx at any time because the certificate is a fixed term that is not at maturity. Certificates that allow additional deposits throughout their term are:
  • EasyStart
  • Special EasyStart
  • SaveFirst
  • Some promotional certificates

All other certificates have fixed terms, you may only make additional deposits within your 21-day grace period after maturity; however, we are currently offering a promotion IRA Add-On where you may deposit to your fixed term IRA certificate. The minimum we allow for IRA Add-On is $500.00 and there is no limit. Please note your contributions are subject to limits set by the IRS. The promotional IRA Add-On option will expire on 04/30/2020. After this date, you will not be able to add funds to existing fixed term IRA certificates until the 21-day grace period after maturity.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #158

Varo (fintech):
https://www.varomoney.com/savings-account/

1.92% savings - no requirements
2.8% savings:
Quote:
To earn 2.80% APY, meet these three requirements in the same calendar month:
  • Make at least five Varo VisaŽ Debit Card purchases in each calendar month,
  • Receive total direct deposits of $1,000 or more in the same calendar month,
AND
  • Keep a Savings Account balance up to $50,000. You read that right. We have a $50,000 maximum to earn our higher APY, but no minimum balance requirement.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:14 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Current yields:
Fidelity SPAXX = 1.03%
Fidelity FZFXX = 1.00%
Fidelity FDRXX = 1.08%

Fidelity SPAXX = 0.91%
Fidelity FZFXX = 0.95%
Fidelity FDRXX = 1.01%

I'm reading market expectation is 100% for another interest rate cut at next week's Fed meeting. Only question is if they cut 0.5% or 0.75%. This will likely push all HY savings accounts to 1.0% and lower soon after. All new CDs up to 5 years will likely go below 1%.

Things are about to get ugly very quickly.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Makes our ~4% from early last year look good. We are getting 3.82% average return.