Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2020 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ally Bank recently came out with a 13 month 2.1% CD special. They also raised their no penalty 11 month CD to 1.9% for $25K or mire. Was 1.85%.

I often park funds in their no penalty CDs at the beginning of the year while I await other deals.

Last edited:
Ally Bank recently came out with a 13 month 2.1% CD special. They also raised their no penalty 11 month CD to 1.9% for $25K or mire. Was 1.85%.

I often park funds in their no penalty CDs at the beginning of the year while I await other deals.

Thanks, just upped some low interest no penalty ones I had, and told couple of other folks (not on here) , so they could grab some more decent interest rates.

Live Oak Bank 2.15% APR for 12-month and 18-month CDs. Penalty is 90 days simple interest for withdrawals on CDs with terms less than 24 months. Interest is declared and paid monthly.

They are an internet bank,and focus on small business. Click on the personal tab for rates and terms.

- Rita

CIT bank. Have had some bucks with them for over a year, they did a free wire out for my account with over $25k, so that was nice. DO keep $25k with them to earn the full interest rate; they have tiered interest, which bit me once.
They have had several specials, current one is $300 bonus on top of 1.75% for $50k in new money. Existing account only has to keep those funds there for 30 days.

https://cit.com/cit-bank/savings-builder-account-bonus-spring/

Isn’t there a dedicated thread for bank bonus deals?

When I see a new post here I think I’m gonna find some killer CD offer. I’m not quite ready to jump through the bank bonus deal hoops yet (but may be getting close).

Gee. Sorry to get you all excited for nothing - This is a short term 1.75% account with some bonus money on top that brings it up to an interesting rate, but it's not a CD, just a Bank Special Deal. I just like making free money.

Wow, watching the 5 year treasury interest rate drop like a rock! I’m glad I already finished locking in rates on a few short-term CDs.

Wow, watching the 5 year treasury interest rate drop like a rock! I’m glad I already finished locking in rates on a few short-term CDs.

Yep.
Got the 1.9% no penalty Ally Bank CD, plus still have 4.5 years left on the GTE 3.30% 5 year CD and will add to it when my 14 month Ally CD matures.

I have been locking in what I can. Maybe rates will drop low enough that it will finally make sense to refi the mortgage.

I was going to ADD 50k for the $300 bonus but got this message when i tried.

(Maximum $300 bonus per qualified account).

and i like CIT Bank.

Hmm. I haven't tried to add my $50k yet but did get receive $300 back in early December from their last promotion. Were you in on the last Promo?Might be worth a call Monday to see if the language you quote is a denial of all bonus amounts from all promotions that exceed a total amount over $300 per account or a restriction of bonus awards for this one promo to $300. That is, no adding $50k + $50k + $50k to your account tomorrow and expecting a $900 bonus.

I'd prefer not to open a second account with CIT in my name or the gal's name just for this bonus - Quicken is getting crowded.

Hmm. I haven't tried to add my $50k yet but did get receive $300 back in early December from their last promotion. Were you in on the last Promo?.

Yes i was in the last Promo. I click on the $300 link and had to login to my account and got this message.

Unfortunately you are not eligible for this promotion.

You enrolled in a previous Savings Builder Promotion,

which makes you ineligible for this promotion. :(

I'm still sticking with the 5 year CD ladder in my IRA while holding my nose. I'm letting the higher yielding 7-10 year CD's ride even with a significant appreciation. Not much different than a bond fund.
For the short term in after tax, I'm rolling into Ally's 11 month no penalty CD's. After putting on a huge roof I'm anticipating significant additional capital improvements to our 25 year old house.

Last edited:
I'm still sticking with the 5 year CD ladder in my IRA while holding my nose. I'm letting the higher yielding 7-10 year CD's ride even with a significant appreciation. Not much different than a bond fund.
For the short term in after tax, I'm rolling into Ally's 11 month no penalty CD's. After putting on a huge roof I'm anticipating significant additional capital improvements to our 25 year old house.
Funny, same here. Rolling off CDs to update 25 yo home. Funds stored in Customer's Bank 2.25 APY.

Just got an offer from Fifth Third Bank for a $250 bonus for opening a checking account, with an additional $250 for getting the balance up to $15K and keeping it for 90 days. This may be the same offer Dtail was talking to me about at the SWFL get together. It sounds like a pretty good deal. Before talking to him I would have just tossed the offer in the recycle bin, but now I think I might go for it. Then I'll just write the check and close the account. Thanks, Dtail.

Just got an offer from Fifth Third Bank for a $250 bonus for opening a checking account, with an additional $250 for getting the balance up to $15K and keeping it for 90 days. This may be the same offer Dtail was talking to me about at the SWFL get together. It sounds like a pretty good deal. Before talking to him I would have just tossed the offer in the recycle bin, but now I think I might go for it. Then I'll just write the check and close the account. Thanks, Dtail.

My pleasure Harley.
Actually the Fifth Third Bank offer has morphed over the last few months from what I can see.
First it was 250 bonus for 500 deposit for 60 days.
Then 250 bonus for 250 deposit for 60 days.
Now it is your offer.
IIRC, their reps only get a commission if the account stays open for 90 days, thus the current offer version.

My pleasure Harley.
Actually the Fifth Third Bank offer has morphed over the last few months from what I can see.
First it was 250 bonus for 500 deposit for 60 days.
Then 250 bonus for 250 deposit for 60 days.
Now it is your offer.
IIRC, their reps only get a commission if the account stays open for 90 days, thus the current offer version.

Thanks for the reminder to check this out! I haven't received any flyers in the mail about this yet. May need to stop in to the local bank to see if they are offering it here. Nothing on the website that I could find.

I did the earlier one,

You might want to check when you do it, that they still have the same rules as before:

Being able to put the $15K into a MM account, to earn 1.5% interest instead of the zero interest checking account. The accounts are linked so it counts.
Might as well get the 1.5% interest on top of the bonus. :cool:

For me, at the time, the rule was put the extra money $20K into the MM and the MM would pay 1.75% , so I did. :dance:

Ally is running a "new" promo--
Special Promotional Offer Details
13 month 2.1% CD
Promotional term available through 3/31/2020

No minimum deposit to open

Interest compounded daily

Automatically renews into a 12-month High Yield CD

Your deposits are insured by the FDIC up to the maximum allowed by law

Early withdrawal penalty will apply

Ally is running a "new" promo--
Special Promotional Offer Details
13 month 2.1% CD