Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2022 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I go to the 'buy' page and enter FZDXX the investment minimum amount that's displayed changes depending on what account I've selected. $100,000 for taxed account, $10,000 for traditional IRA, $100,000 for HSA.

I didn’t see that. It’s a traditional IRA. Thanks.

They've changed that policy before with other specials, I've take advantage of it before. They start with allowing one special CD only and then a week or two later they open it up to one per category as in IRA/Share. In my case her specific wording was that I could open one in each category. Anyway I've arranged to transfer 1K to my Navy checking from another institution and either way I will also report back.

Sure enough, I received confirmation this morning that I now have two 33 month CD specials…one taxable and one IRA.

NASA Federal Credit Union CD Special Rates Rise Again
Deal Summary: Share Certificate Specials – 9-month (2.80% APY), 15-month (3.00% APY), 49-month (3.15% APY), minimum $10k deposit of new money

My $1000 transfer made it to Navy and I opened my second 33 month Special CD online. That was so easy, it took less than a minute and I'll be doing that in future instead of calling them.
Don't be surprised if they offer another shorter term special soon.

PenFed's 3% 2 year CD is looking pretty good right now, for those that don't have access to Navy or NASA credit unions. Any better deals on a 2 year non-brokered CD out there?

PenFed's 3% 2 year CD is looking pretty good right now, for those that don't have access to Navy or NASA credit unions. Any better deals on a 2 year non-brokered CD out there?

I don't know about CDs, but I could buy a 1 year treasury at a bit over 3% at Fidelity today. Notes that are maturing 18-24 months from now are closer to 3.25%

I noticed Schwab's "brokered" CD's have all move up "a little" in the past few days. For example, 1yr is 3.15 and 2yr is 3.35.

I'm not sure why folks are happy about these 3+% CD rates since inflation is ~9%. (maybe more)

Last edited:
I don't know about CDs, but I could buy a 1 year treasury at a bit over 3% at Fidelity today. Notes that are maturing 18-24 months from now are closer to 3.25%
And if in a high tax state, you get the no-tax benefit.

US treasuries just sold 52 week bills @3.2%...26&52 weeks have been hovering around 3% for months now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220810-073025.jpg
    Screenshot_20220810-073025.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 65
US treasuries just sold 52 week bills @3.2%...26&52 weeks have been hovering around 3% for months now.

Treasury rates dropping this morning due to better than expected (i.e. lower than expected) CPI print.

ETA: I was planning on buying the 6-month t-bill (auction date 8/15) but might now hold off....but will see how this develops over the next few days.

I'm not sure why folks are happy about these 3+% CD rates since inflation is ~9%. (maybe more)

+1

I suppose it's relative.

Having lived through the double digit inflation of the 70's and 80's, the current inflation rates scare me. At least back then you could get 4,5, 6% on various types of savings accounts.

I will stick to my ladder and see what the future brings.

Forecast is inflation to be around 6% this year, then drop into the high 2% range in 2023 and 2024. That’s why 4% - 5% bond yields, longer term look attractive and if you ladder them, you have little to worry about.

Already scored substantial 3.0% and 3.5% CD's at Penfed, 5 and 7 year terms. But have lots of dry powder still. Now worried about dropping rates ! Frozen in fear. Waiting and hoping for 4%.

Last edited:
How to buy US treasuries that are over 3%? I followed the ibond thread here and found it very helpful. Trying to see if there is a similar one for treasuries. I was debating between brokered CD and a treasury bill but for similar interest rates, US Treasuries seem like a no brainer because interest is not taxed. TIA.

How to buy US treasuries that are over 3%? I followed the ibond thread here and found it very helpful. Trying to see if there is a similar one for treasuries. I was debating between brokered CD and a treasury bill but for similar interest rates, US Treasuries seem like a no brainer because interest is not taxed. TIA.

Just to clarify. They are exempt from STATE and LOCAL tax.

Make sure you do the proper calculation. :)

I buy treasuries at Fidelity, not TD (where you have to buy iBonds).

You can get find instructions here: https://thefinancebuff.com/treasury-bills-cd-money-market.html

He covers all the major brokers.

This past Monday I bought a 6 month T-bill via auction that came in at 3.13% annualized. This was through Fidelity and their new issue treasury offerings.

This past Monday I bought a 6 month T-bill via auction that came in at 3.13% annualized. This was through Fidelity and their new issue treasury offerings.

Mine was the same through Treasury Direct. I bought a 12 month also at 3.325%. I'm using $ in Marcus that I won't need for at least a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom