BEST EVER Investment/Retirement Advice-Article or Video

Huston55

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Let’s compile some great advice on investing & retirement, and have a bit of fun while doing it. :D

Add links to what you consider the best (or extremely good) advice you’ve received during your investing life. The links should have real value to members (especially newbies) but, also provide some entertainment & humor along the way. I’ll begin with this link; it’s worth the time it takes to watch it. :clap:

Yep, saw that one when it first aired. Excellent, love John Oliver.

The advice was more long winded, but was essentially this:

Taking control of my own finances was the best thing I ever did.

Attachments

• funny-financial-advice-clipart.jpg
    funny-financial-advice-clipart.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Excellent! Thanks for posting.

Sorry I can't promise humor, but here is a page of video links that I go back to repeatedly: https://famafrench.dimensional.com/videos.aspx

My favorites include:
"Is This a Good Time for Active Investing? "
"Identifying Superior Managers "
Both of these are only five or six minutes.

This one:
"Q&A with Fama at the Fiduciary Investors Symposium "
is close to 40 minutes and quite wide-ranging. Every time I watch it I get something new from it.

But there are many others including, of course, a few duds.

The page is hosted by Dimensional Fund Advisors but there is virtually no sales promotion or at least none that I have detected.

Funny stuff. I soooo wanna go to Icelandic Elf School too... lol!!

Sorry I can't promise humor, but here is a page of video links that I go back to repeatedly: https://famafrench.dimensional.com/videos.aspx

My favorites include:

This one:
is close to 40 minutes and quite wide-ranging. Every time I watch it I get something new from it.

The page is hosted by Dimensional Fund Advisors but there is virtually no sales promotion or at least none that I have detected.

Sorry if this is considered thread hijacking but have a question from you active investing video. In my current 401k portfolio I have roughly 52% lined up in US stocks - 17% in Active and 35% in Index. Fees associated with Active are 0.457% and fees associated with Index are 0.066%.

If I am understanding the video correctly, you would expect the Index and Active to perform relatively the same, but shying to the side of the Index fund to outperform based on fees? Would it make sense then to dump more/all into the Index fund?

New to the whole "trying to figure out my own investments" world. Thanks to all who take the time to respond.

Sorry if this is considered thread hijacking but have a question from you active investing video. In my current 401k portfolio I have roughly 52% lined up in US stocks - 17% in Active and 35% in Index. Fees associated with Active are 0.457% and fees associated with Index are 0.066%.

If I am understanding the video correctly, you would expect the Index and Active to perform relatively the same, but shying to the side of the Index fund to outperform based on fees? Would it make sense then to dump more/all into the Index fund?

New to the whole "trying to figure out my own investments" world. Thanks to all who take the time to respond.

In the spirit of not hijacking the thread, the short answer is “yes.” The great links posted thusfar will tell you that.

MSUIndy, you will get better advice by posting in the Hi I Am... topic area. Include your portfolio details as well.

In my current 401k portfolio I have roughly 52% lined up in US stocks - 17% in Active and 35% in Index. Fees associated with Active are 0.457% and fees associated with Index are 0.066%.

Another Yes.

My favorites include:

This one:

Thanks Oldshooter, I enjoyed those with Fama and French.

VW

In addition to the actual fee difference, the active fund has additional trading costs that do not show up in the fees shown to you. In a taxable account, there would also be the tax drag of additional Capital gains or dividends from active trading.

Indexing is a long term benefit due to reduced costs- If you are expecting a one year result to prove the benefit, you will likely be disappointed.

Best to you,

VW

Two pieces of advice. keep both in mind with each decision one makes

1. You make your money when you buy and
2. You havent made a nickel until you sell.

If you always keep both of these in mind, you can probably avoid making some big mistakes.

Sorry if this is considered thread hijacking but ... Would it make sense then to dump more/all into the Index fund? ...
No problem, @MSUIndy. I'll comment on your question and bring the thread back to center by adding a few more links. I even remembered a funny one, so I'll start with that:

As others have pointed out, the answer to your question (as @Huston5 and @DrRoy have said) is "yes." But your expectation that your actively managed funds will do about what a passive fund will do, before fees, is incorrect. In that video, Ken French is basically presenting William Sharpe's 1991 paper: https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/active/active.htm In it, Sharpe shows that the average performance of active managers must underperform passive investing by the difference in fees. You cannot invest in the average though; you have to invest in a few specific managers.

The results of active managers vary all over the map. In fact, about 7% of them produce such abysmal results in any given year that the funds are shut down. Further, the empirical data in S&P's semiannual "SPIVA" reports shows us that active managers' results vary greatly and their average performance is much worse than a simple fee comparison would predict. @VanWinkel's point on trading costs is one of several likely reasons. So --- Drs Sharpe and French are optimists! I think this is a good link to the SPIVA reports: http://us.spindices.com/spiva/ but S&P's site is down right now so I can't check it.

Be sure to also study the Ken French video "Identifying Superior Managers." There is a SPIVA companion report card on "Manager Persistence" that IMO should be required reading for any investor. (Both S&P report cards come out every six months but the conclusions are always the same, so it really doesn't matter which versions you find.)

Last edited:
@OldShooter,

That is a great youTube video on the financial advisor.

I am sending it to several of my siblings and kids.

VW

Where are the customer's yachts? LOL

Attachments

• Dilbert.JPG
    Dilbert.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 13
The advice was more long winded, but was essentially this:

Taking control of my own finances was the best thing I ever did.

This is it in a nutshell. I volunteered with a guy from a big investment bank, he said it's all about assets under management.
I thought what about the return for the investors.
Both his sons are mutual fund managers........

Back
Top Bottom