Join Early Retirement Today

Big-Spending Boomers
Old 11-16-2010, 05:02 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Big-Spending Boomers

We need to watch our pocketbooks even more diligently -- the "Marketers" have discovered us.

Big-spending Boomers bend rules of marketing

Quote:
The traditional thinking among marketers is that older folks spend less, have little interest in new products and have brand preferences set in stone. But across the USA, the 77 million members of the Baby Boom generation — folks born from 1946 through 1964 — are turning that conventional marketing wisdom on its head.
Quote:
"Most marketing that targets Boomers presumes there's something wrong with them that needs fixing," such as age spots, wrinkles or erectile dysfunction, Thornhill says. "It's malady-based. For the most part, it's not accurate."
On the silly side, however, is the "What Generation Are You" quiz. I couldn't find an affinity with any of the questions and, therefore, it guessed that I was born ten years before I actually was.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Hum, the quiz pegged me at 1948 which is on the money.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting. I find recently that the marketing pitches are less and less believable. I always think that if the thing actually worked it would transform society and the inventors would be well known billionaires. Since this is never true- I know the thing doesn't work. Examples: weight loss gimmicks, metal bracelets that promise a better life, investment schemes, magic cremes, fuel additives, and the list could go on. This kind of thing has made me pretty cynical over the years. Not a good trait.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Okay. I wasn't paying attention as a teenager... not much has changed.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The marketing pitches I see aimed at boomers are usually designed to feed into their perceived generational uneasiness about getting old.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #6

I struggled through the quiz since I wasn't born or raised here, but I think I guessed correctly! It missed my age by just one year!

The "techie" marketing pulls my strings the most!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

It nailed it for me. Interesting.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

"It looks like you were born around 1965."

Nailed it...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

It guessed 1956; missed it by that much...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
Administrator

I struggled somewhat with the quiz, particularly sports personalities and toys. (I grew up in England).

However, it put me at 1956 which is only a year later than I was actually born.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

It said I was born in 1936 instead of my true birth year, 1948. I am sure that is due to my atypical childhood experiences; the quiz is probably very good.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

It was correct for me. Thanks for a fun quiz !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
1948 for me too, but I was born 6 years later.

With more questions, I think the granularity could be very good, and I think it works pretty well considering it's just a few questions.

They should probably be clear about 'remembering' - I'd assume they mean 'remember it happening in real time', not just 'remembering hearing about it'. Maybe they do say that and I missed it, but I played it as the first.

? Plaid skirts and knee socks? That kinda looked like the English 'mod' look to me (early British Invasion years - 62~65?. Or was it later? I was post-poodle-skirt, and pre-disco shoes in my teens, so nothing else fit. I don't really recall actually seeing that style here in the more conservative Midwest, but I do blame the mini-skirt in general for my poor grades in high school.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I struggled somewhat with the quiz, particularly sports personalities and toys. (I grew up in England).

However, it put me at 1956 which is only a year later than I was actually born.
I'm, right in your range, and I am sports agnostic, so I thought that would trip me up. Wasn't Cassius Clay world known, even to sports agnostics? That was who I clicked, I'm pretty sure the others were earlier/later than that. But my Dad was a boxing fan, so I might have picked up a bit by osmosis. I could see an English boy not getting Sandy Koufax, or Mickey Mantle, but Cassius Clay?

A middle-eastern friend of mine (maybe 10 years younger than me) told me that he knew of him growing up. But I guess nobody uses 'Mohamed' as a first name, so they always thought he changed his name to "Ali Mohamed". Which sounded strange to my ears.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #15

The quiz got my exact birth year. I'm impressed.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Interesting. I find recently that the marketing pitches are less and less believable. I always think that if the thing actually worked it would transform society and the inventors would be well known billionaires. Since this is never true- I know the thing doesn't work. Examples: weight loss gimmicks, metal bracelets that promise a better life, investment schemes, magic cremes, fuel additives, and the list could go on. This kind of thing has made me pretty cynical over the years. Not a good trait.
Actually, that's a very good trait to have. It keeps you from believing what appears to be true, as opposed what is actually true. Being cynical is a trait held by the wealthy (in particular, those who want to stay that way) because someone is always after your money. People who are trying to sell you something shouldn't be offended by questions about their products or services.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

It thought 1964 instead of 1960, but it's pretty close for just six questions.

I needed subtitles. Most of those photos elicited a "WTF are these people?!?" response, especially sports & movies.

I guess they couldn't depend on enduring hits, either. When I was a teen the big illicit thrill (hey, this was 1970s Pittsburgh) was watching Saturday Night Live. You couldn't watch it at home and you had to be back home by midnight so you had to be out babysitting. But "watching SNL" covers a pretty big generational swath, just like The Simpsons.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

I needed subtitles. Most of those photos elicited a "WTF are these people?!?" response, especially sports & movies.
Uh, if you mouse over them a pop-up will tell you who/what the are...
Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #19
gone traveling

I became curious about the quiz too though I'm an immigrant. So, it made me 3 years older than I am 1972
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #20

DW took the quiz and it missed by 8 years - the wrong way.

I'm going to find something to do out in the garage for a while...