Blow that dough (It's official now)

To those of you struggling to find a way to spend your money, just buy a boat.

They say you can make a small fortune with a boat. It's easy. Start with a large fortune, and buy a boat.

I might even know where you can find a captain :whistle:

It's not the expert's money, it's somebody else's money.

Well, they quote BlackRock. Usually investment firms have an interest in clients not spending, because spending cuts their assets, and hence their fees!

I have not finished designing and building my battery system for solar energy storage. Else, I would blow more dough to get more lithium battery to have a 100kWh bank in my garden shed.

Mo, mo, mo... More lithium battery...

Plus, it is hard to get upset about the Dow being down to 24,755. Simply amazing!
dilley dilley for sure.

Pretty cool, huh. :D With this market, sometimes I wonder if I am dreaming, hallucinating, or what. But whatever it is, I'll take it.
This sounds a lot like a "Whee!" to me! Duck everybody
We're doing our part. Upcoming ski trip to Whistler/Blackcomb in feb, first class air, slopeside lodging & all the perks.
That is an easy place to BTD.
Woo-Hoo, my theme - :)

Yeah Baby! Blow that dough!

I bought myself a Christmas present this year. A one of a kind hand made knife, mirror polished with grade AAA mother of pearl scales. Two grand.

Live the dream - :)
Our hero!
I am, however, contemplating something I'd written off as too expensive: a cruise to the Galapagos in 2020. (Why 2020? because I have two major trips per year planned already for 2018 and 2019.:D) On my favorite line (UnCruise), a single cabin is going to run about $13K after discounts (one for being a past guest, one if I put a deposit down at the end of a previous cruise, and I have one in March, 2019). Then there's airfare to Quito, Ecuador.

It is good to have goals!
We are taking a Copper Canyon Tour in March. Gotta get the VPW up to 2%!

With this market, sometimes I wonder if I am dreaming, hallucinating, or what.

As the great wit Mike Tyson once said "I don't know whether to be ecstatic or ludicrous"

hah I was just discussing this topic with my parents, about how people are ER'ing and then spending only a 1.5% WD.

They were like "that's us!" (except not the ER part, regular R). But they are annoyed that they even have to have a 1.5 because it's from RMD's... They are living nicely off SS and pensions, small trips and a big vacation every year, and a few splurges here and there.

I plan to increase our spending once we are closer to SS/MC as the HC wild card will be resolved (one way or the other) by then, but that's a long ways off...

To those of you struggling to find a way to spend your money, just buy a boat.

They say you can make a small fortune with a boat. It's easy. Start with a large fortune, and buy a boat.
+1.

Attachments

• Boating.jpg
    Boating.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 121
I plan to increase our spending once we are closer to SS/MC as the HC wild card will be resolved (one way or the other) by then, but that's a long ways off...

Amen. I am just about to start Medicare on 1/1 after 3.5 years of ACA coverage with a high deductible. The good news/bad news is that, after paying $25K in premiums over that period, the only thing the insurers have paid for were regular preventative tests and I've had some very minor Urgent Care visits that I paid for. I will be very glad when I'm not exposed to a $6K deductible and sketchy out-of-network coverage anymore. May The Force be with you.

Spent way more than budgeted this first year of retirement due to very unexpected expenses, some good, some not so good. However, the market has returned everything we took out! So I feel somewhat better as the new year approaches. This next year will hopefully be more on budget for us!

I'm still into trying to live high on the hog with a low withdrawal rate, preferably zero. I'm pretty close these days, once SS kicks in on top of pensions and some hobby income. We just laugh when we look at what we could spend on a 4% withdrawal rate. It just isn't us to even want to do that, though it is nice to know it is an option.

Last edited:
If spending brings joy - spend. As a contrarian, google "year of spending nothing". I paw through drawers hunting something and find piles of stuff we bought and haven't used. Possessions just weigh me down. I do note that many here spend on experiences, which seems different.

With the new tax bill eliminating deductibility of HELOC interest, we’ll probably pay it off before 1/1. No impact on NW, but definitely an impact on available cash.

Inspired by this thread, I ordered lobster tails and crab cakes for Christmas and NYE dinners. Of course, they were on sale with a special extra 5% off discount for ordering today - some habits are hard to break!

For decades a SIL and BIL have hosted the large Christmas dinner and paid for most, if not all, of the food. We'd of course bring a side dish but they paid for the bulk of it. Although they have pensions, their income is now less than one-half of what it was and they've been having a hard time adjusting.

So for the last few years we've sprung for the spiral cut Honeybaked Ham that for some reason SIL feels is necessary and traditional at that dinner. So now that $90 (delivered) 10 lb. ham is in the refrigerator thawing. It's good ham, but I am hard put to tell the difference between that and the ones we can buy for less than half that price at any of the local grocery stores. But what the hey, it's once a year, we can easily afford it, it makes her feel good and we like them, and we do enjoy seeing everyone at the party.

So here's to Honeybaked Ham!

Starting to add up the 2017 totals for spending. Yikes!:eek:

Big dental (not done yet) - $40 K

Other medical not covered by Medicare/Medigap/Part D - ~$8 K (mostly DW)

Assisting other family members (gifts, of course) - $14 K (rent, other bills, medical)

Deposits for DD's April 2018 wedding (finally!) - $8 K

I'M STARTING TO ACT LIKE ROBBIE!!
(Blow that dough!) :LOL:

Dilley Dilley!

With the new tax bill eliminating deductibility of HELOC interest, we’ll probably pay it off before 1/1. No impact on NW, but definitely an impact on available cash.

Yeah without the break its not as attractive to hold onto HELOC if you had no other reason. One of the clients I advise is thinking of doing this as well.

Starting to add up the 2017 totals for spending. Yikes!:eek:

Big dental (not done yet) - $40 K

Other medical not covered by Medicare/Medigap/Part D - ~$8 K (mostly DW)

Assisting other family members (gifts, of course) - $14 K (rent, other bills, medical)

Deposits for DD's April 2018 wedding (finally!) - $8 K

I'M STARTING TO ACT LIKE ROBBIE!!
(Blow that dough!) :LOL:

Dilley Dilley!

Wow!!! That's a lot. Look at it this way - - good thing all these expenses came up this year, with the market booming. Right now, most of us can afford to spend a little more than usual if need be. During a year like 2009, it would be more difficult I think.

Blow that dough! :LOL: Dilley Dilley! That sounds like a dill pickle to me, but hey, whatever..... ;)

Woo-Hoo, my theme - :)

Yeah Baby! Blow that dough!

I bought myself a Christmas present this year. A one of a kind hand made knife, mirror polished with grade AAA mother of pearl scales. Two grand.

Live the dream - :)

You rock!

I did treat myself to a Martini-Henry MK4 this past month; the seller didn't really know what he had. But other than that, no real drunken sailor expenditures yet.

My portfolio returned over the last QTR nearly twice what my annual "earned" income was during my last year of w*rk. I should buy a knife, yes? :D

_B

My situation seems to be that as I have achieved a level of affluence, I no longer enjoy things like international travel, and heavy restaurant meals. I seem to enjoy my own cooking and my own bed.
A lot of what I thought would be great fun upon retirement has turned out to be an opportunity to be uncomfortable.

I still like to eat out, especially certain ethnic foods that are a pain to do at home. We've certainly cut back though. We can usually eat better at home were we can control the ingredients and prep. As for travel, I haven't been to airport since FIRING 3 years ago. We have done a bunch of epic road trips though. I like the slower pace and flexibility.

For several years while working I would go scuba diving 3 times a year, and at that time looked forward to more when retired. However after about 10 years I got burned out on it since I would get a cold nearly every time I took a trip (and colds and scuba don't mix well). So I gave it up.

I feel your pain! Our summer kayak trip was epic and amazing. Upon return, it took more than a month to finally shake off the resulting cold/flu bug. Then there are the back issues. I'd love to push harder in my outdoor sports, but my body rebels, usually after the fact. One of my few regrets in retirement, wish I had left sooner...

You rock!

I did treat myself to a Martini-Henry MK4 this past month; the seller didn't really know what he had. But other than that, no real drunken sailor expenditures yet.

My portfolio returned over the last QTR nearly twice what my annual "earned" income was during my last year of w*rk. I should buy a knife, yes? :D

_B

Absolutely! You need to buy a knife. Or, whatever floats your boat. That kind of portfolio return is amazing. :)

Wow!!! That's a lot. Look at it this way - - good thing all these expenses came up this year, with the market booming. Right now, most of us can afford to spend a little more than usual if need be. During a year like 2009, it would be more difficult I think.

Blow that dough! :LOL: Dilley Dilley! That sounds like a dill pickle to me, but hey, whatever..... ;)

Yes, Mr. Market covered all plus more. I am grateful! Next year is "The Wedding" and Dad's daughter (@ 37) will be finally married off. :cool:;)

Yes, Mr. Market covered all plus more. I am grateful! Next year is "The Wedding" and Dad's daughter (@ 37) will be finally married off. :cool:;)
My only daughter's wedding was in Oregon, two weeks before I retired. :banghead: I had set my retirement date years before, and did not want to change it. And, she could only get the location reserved on that date. Oh well, it all worked out although I felt like I was 110 years old by the time I had her married off and I was retired.

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding. It's nice to know that one's daughter has a DH who is watching out for her, especially if she lives far away like mine does.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, we did blow a lot of dough this year. Move across country (on our dime), close to a full house renovation, new car, stocking up our new wine cellar, plus a few other shameful follies... it’s just that most of the money did not come out of our portfolio all at once this year. It had been set aside for those purposes over several years so I don’t feel like we broke the bank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom