Blow That Dough! - 2019

Wow, you got off easy, that's dirt cheap for a saddle! Did you get that used? Oh, and what kind of horse is a Bonneville? ;)

(For anyone whose memory might be anywhere near as bad as mine, I mentioned our horse expenditures many pages back in this thread! Luckily for me, I'm the tertiary caretaker, all I have to do is "pony" up the $$$$$...)
.....as in Triumph Bonneville motorcycle.

(For anyone whose memory might be anywhere near as bad as mine, I mentioned our horse expenditures many pages back in this thread! Luckily for me, I'm the tertiary caretaker, all I have to do is "pony" up the $$$$$...)

Sounds like me and my DW's horses.....400 bales of alfalfa hay every year, feed, vet bills, not to mention the $40,000 60x100 indoor riding arena with stalls/tack room across one end.

No horses for me, just a couple painted ponies to let the spinning wheels ride.

Just made the final payment of $10K for our Hawaiian cruise in March. To further blow dough, I have booked a flight in Oahu in an antique T-6 for another $2K.
We will be in a suite of 533 sq ft with a large balcony.Since we are traveling less, this fits well in our travel budget. It also includes free Internet, a bar setup, and a free dinner at one of the specialty restaurants.

No horses for me, just a couple painted ponies to let the spinning wheels ride.

My wife has a rescue Mustang that is the sweetest animal I know, My Mustang is Black, and has 300 horespower. We both enjoy them.

The last time we had Jamón Ibérico was earlier this year during our road trip through Spain and Portugal. I have already forgotten the taste. Buying an entire leg at Costco is a bit too much though.

Here's a video about this world-renowned ham, which is said to cost as high as $4,500 a leg.

I also picked up 2 tins of the anchovie stuffed olives - :)

Just ordered up a small chunk for Christmas!

I ordered a bunch of stuff from La Tienda for delivery this week. But not a big chunk of Jamon like that! Just a small package.

DH is still fantasizing about the whole leg. He’s been watching carving videos!:facepalm:

Woodworking is my main hobby. Now that I'm retired I built a small shop (300 sq ft) and I've enjoyed upgrading my tools. In the past few years I've upgraded the following.

Used Ridgid contractor saw to a new Sawstop PCS.
Used Ridgid bandsaw to a new Rikon 14 inch.
Sold an old radial arm saw and bought a new sliding compound miter saw.
Upgraded the dust collector with a new thein baffle and cartridge air filter.
New air filter for shop.
Upgraded to a free standing router table.
Cheap tabletop drill press to a floor model with variable speeds.

On Black-Friday I splurged and ordered a 16/32 drum sander and a midi lathe!

New toys to play with in the coming new year!

I blew a bunch of money on golf (upgrading clubs, full bag fitting) over the past few months, but overall wasn't that much as I mostly did pre-owned Callaways. Total was perhaps 2K which for golf is diddly.

Woodworking is my main hobby. Now that I'm retired I built a small shop (300 sq ft) and I've enjoyed upgrading my tools. In the past few years I've upgraded the following.

Used Ridgid contractor saw to a new Sawstop PCS.
Used Ridgid bandsaw to a new Rikon 14 inch.
Sold an old radial arm saw and bought a new sliding compound miter saw.
Upgraded the dust collector with a new thein baffle and cartridge air filter.
New air filter for shop.
Upgraded to a free standing router table.
Cheap tabletop drill press to a floor model with variable speeds.

On Black-Friday I splurged and ordered a 16/32 drum sander and a midi lathe!

New toys to play with in the coming new year!

Amazing! I bought almost the identical list to replace older stuff (did hate to give up my father's old Craftsman table saw for sentimental reasons) about 5 years ago. Only thing I'm not wild about is the Sawstop. PIA switching from dado to straight blade and back because of changing the cartridges. Yes, it's a safety feature but I'm more than able to grind off my fingers with router or any number of other unprotected blades. I personally think as long as you use the knife spreader (or whatever it's called) and a push stick and remember that saw blades trump flesh, an unprotected saw is just fine. My purchase was made pleasant because a friend had been working at a local woodworker supply store that was closing so I got either gently used demos or new with employee discount before they closed.

DH is still fantasizing about the whole leg. He’s been watching carving videos!:facepalm:

Yes, I have watched one video from Bon Appétit. It's not as simple as it seems. And it takes some work to clean off the rancid fat on the outside that protects the ham, in order to expose the edible interior.

Perhaps one should buy a leg of serrano ham to practice on first, before graduating to the more expensive iberico.

Use within a week of opening?

Some say a whole leg stays good for a month once opened, as long as you cover the exposed meat with thin slices of fat.

Last edited:
The 3 of us should have no problem dispatching the 24 oz chunk in a week - :)

Hamitizers!

Taking the DW and DD's to Oahu and Hawaii for 2 weeks mid-January. Luau's, snorkeling, submarine trip, appetizer cruise and Waipio Valley on horseback lined up.

Jamon Iberico;

49276291571_6a06be376b_o.jpg

Looks just like the advertised product eh?

The flavor is something new for us. I mean it's kinda like prosciutto but way deeper.

Worth a hundred bucks a pound! Imma gonna make it a new tradition - :)

How does one carve thin slices out of that block? You will need something to hold it down.

We went to visit those little free range acorn eating Iberian piggies in the mountains of southwestern Spain near the Portuguese border (Huelva). Plus the curing operation run by a multigenerational family. The countryside there looked just like the Texas Hill Country.
https://devoursevillefoodtours.com/behind-the-bite-jamon-iberico/

Yes, the flavor is much more complex than prosciutto. And goes so well with Spanish red wine!

Last edited:
We went to visit those little free range acorn eating piggies in the mountains of southwestern Spain near the Portuguese border.

Yes, the flavor is much more intense than prosciutto.

We have some of those free range, acorn eating piggies around here too! (LOL) I wonder if they are related?

THE WOODLANDS — Kathleen Settle was raking her lawn when her husband, Charles, blowing leaves by the street, called to her in alarm. Once again, as people in their neighborhood say, they’d been hit.

Feral hogs had dug all around the fire hydrant overnight, tearing up the grass in search of something to eat. They’d ravaged the yard in which the Settles took pride.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...s-a-senior-community-fights-back-14923184.php

Last edited:
How does one carve thin slices out of that block? You will need something to hold it down.

I first cut off a piece from the whole (3 to 4) oz I put the ham against a block of wood that guided the knife. The knife was a very sharp ceramic blade and by drawing the knife through the ham supported by the block I was able to shave some nice thin slices. I have done 2 appetizers so far and there are about 3 left.

Back
Top Bottom