Buy The Car, Or Rent The U-Haul?

If your stuff will fit in a car, why would you rent a U-haul vs. renting a mini-van or other car? U-haul will rent storage place from closet size to garage size if you need someplace to secure your items until you find an apartment.

I'd potentially wind up having to mail a few things with just a car (everything fit in the car I used to have when I moved cross country the first time; I've bought a few things since then, but only enough that it'd be more of a concern if I bought a smaller car than what I used to own), but the prices are comparable when renting almost any kind of car for a few weeks versus the smallest U-Haul here.

Assuming you are buying a new car why not buy it online from a dealership in the state you are moving to but take delivery where you are now so you can pack it with your personal effects. You can put temporary tag (usually a paper thing you put in the window) until you arrive in your new community.

If I bought the car before I moved, I'd be facing about $180+ in taxes and fees registering it in another state (if I read the TX DMV chart right).

If this is the best price, why not have it registered in TX when you buy it. The dealer you buy from in your current state can do that, they just have to find the tax rates for a TX address (assuming you can get one from a friend or relative, maybe a PO Box even?).

We used a ReloCube from ABF to move the kid to Grad School across the country. We stored the stuff with them until he had an apt. It wasn't all that expensive and huge on the convenience factor. Good experience.

"...mandatory death sentence for DUI convictions.."

:LOL:
That was the best part.

I thought you were allowed to drink beer and drive in Texas. Or is that only if your car doesn't have air conditioning?

Free in Texas

This could actually be a good way to have someone else do all the footwork for you. Just say you're thinking of moving to Texas, say you want a place between $XXX-XXX/month, and watch REWahoo start apartment searching in other states for you. You'll never find better comparative shopping! :ROFLMAO:

I just discovered that Zillow has a rental search tool (thanks to Seattle Bubble). It includes square footage and an estimate of how much similarly sized homes/apartments rent for in the vicinity. Doubtless someone is paying them to include their digs in the search but it is interesting never the less.

My concern is theft of contents. Thieves are known to frequent motels to steal from cars. Oh, and they steal from U-Hauls too. It may be easy to find a small storage place for a month to stash your stuff until you find housing, many offer first month free.

Do you have any reference for this. I have moved between 15 and 20 times from one coast to the other from south to north, including one move to Germany and another to Hawaii. I have never had a car broken into and they were normally packed heavy. I have always wondered when I park at a motel about the security of my car, so I was wondering if you have a reference for this quote. Not looking for an argument, just the data.

I've been pondering the same situation and am happy to read this thread. When I moved six years ago, I left almost everything behind, furniture especially, and mailed all desireable possessions to my new address. Breakables and valuables and financial files I brought with me in my car. I ended up buying new furnishings for about 3000K.

For this move I am in a similar quandry, go with what is cheaper or pay for the movers and keep my possessions. I have some things that I really don't want to give up and I know know how tiresome it is to shop and buy new furniture, etc. It took me a while and a made some immediate purchases of used furniture that I regretted and ended up replacing with cheap items.

Moving is complicated.

Last year, I moved from Boston to Phoenix. Same situation -- didn't have a car but needed to buy a car when I got here. I used U-Pack "pods" -- they are the smallest out there -- and the cheapest!! They have A+ customer service. Depending on where you live, it can take 3-7 days for delivery to your new home, so it's possible you will have found an apartment before the u-pack arrives. Also, if you haven't they will store it for free for 3 days and then its really, really cheap to store it on a monthly basis. Mail, UPS, or open a fedex GROUND account (for automatic 10% discount) the important stuff. The MOST important stuff -- buy a couple of cheap suitcases and try to fly an airplane with the least (or no) fees. The price of gas to drive is outrages -- plus the cost of car insurance at the place you purchase the car would probably be more expensive -- and then to pay taxes at both places and registration fees. You don't want to spend the time doing all of that!

Have you checked on a one way car rental? Some places allow that with an extra fee.

Depending on locations, try Craigslist for sharing a ride. I've given rides and helped transported items before. Just be safe about it.

moving

What I would probably do: Buy a car, sport ute or van. Move with all possessions (even if you have to buy a $200 utility trailer). You have 30 days to register so register in the new state. Rentals are a waste of money in that case. To me anyway.
Rent a u-haul, then rent a car when you get there? Then they would kill you on excess mileage bs. If you have time to shop you can buy just as cheap in your original location I'll bet.

Back
Top Bottom