car people - suggest a toy

Modern turbochargers have very little lag, if even noticeable.

And, they have a major positive in that they offset altitude increases in mountainous areas.

I am leaning toward a normally aspirated engine. I haven't driven any of these cars, but would be concerned about turbo lag.
The E46 M3 has a 338HP naturally aspirated straight-six engine. The E46 was built from 2000 - 2006. According to the M3 history page on Wikipedia, the 2007 - 2013 generation used the S65 engine, which is a naturally aspirated V8. I'm not really pushing an M3, but I if you like the look, I think they're worth a test drive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M3

Miata for sure. I've owned several and own a 2012 I bought new and modified to my taste.

Bullet proof, well designed FUN cars.

Lots of great cars suggested, can't go wrong with any of them. Another vote though for the Miata, especially if you're looking for a convertible. To me, it's the definition of a "toy" car. Instant smiles every time I take mine out.

A lot of nice cars out there- tough choices. I have had many luxuary cars from MBZ to Lexus and had a Porsche 911 AND a Honda S2000 at the same time. To Me, the Honda S2000 and my 2015 Toyota TRD Tacoma is the perfect fit. For speed and fun-S2K; for utility and outdoor fun- the Tacoma. Great around town as well for both.

The E46 M3 has a 338HP naturally aspirated straight-six engine. The E46 was built from 2000 - 2006. According to the M3 history page on Wikipedia, the 2007 - 2013 generation used the S65 engine, which is a naturally aspirated V8. I'm not really pushing an M3, but I if you like the look, I think they're worth a test drive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M3

2006-2008 Z4M has the same motor as the E46 M3. I owned the outwardly similar 3.0si coupe and thought the M Coupe was a beast by comparison. Lotsa fun, but a bit too much car for a daily driver.

BTW I'm 6'1" and fit comfortably in the Z4. When I tried Miatas I found myself staring straight into the top of the windshield and couldn't get comfortable. Just another data point.

Last edited:
Doesn't meet the price point but I'm picking up my factory-ordered toy on Monday. Dealer sent me pictures after prep.

Maybe an older, used Hellcat? Roomy, comfy and more power than you'll ever need.

Attachments

• IMG_8727.jpg
    IMG_8727.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8729.jpg
    IMG_8729.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8723.jpg
    IMG_8723.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 30
That is a good read, thanks for the link. Looking on the bmwusa.com certified & used car website I found several 228i and even the newer 230i cars that meet the OP's price point. The classic answer to the OP's question, at least with regards to BMW, is the M3. Fast, fun, and practical (backseat, trunk, etc.) My own opinion is that their ride is tuned too flinty for the car to be a daily driver on my state's rough roads. But, I haven't driven a recent M3.

My own answer to the OP's question was a BMW 535i with RWD and a 6-speed manual transmission. I say was, because last Saturday the engine seized up in my car for no easily identifiable reason (the car had oil and coolant.) Given it's age I'm looking at scrapping it rather than paying ~$5k to put a new engine in it :( It was not a very reliable car before this either, so I think buying an older, high mileage BMW is only a good idea if you like to work on your cars and have the time and skills to do so. There is a reason why something like half of all new BMWs are "sold" as leases!

Hi NoiseBoy .. you have to test drive a 228. I have driven a 335, 435, and the 5 series too .. it is nowhere as fun and as nimble to drive as the 228. And by the way, the 228 is faster than the 230, which is the successor to the 228. The 2015 228 is built differently than the 2016 228 (which is slower). I took it to the mountain and drove the twisty roads .. boy .. what a big grin on my face .. fun fun fun.

You can also get 2 adults in the back of the 228 that are less than 5'8' in height. The cargo is as big as my previous 3 series coupe. And lastly, I get 36 MPG on the highway and 25-26 MPG city driving . The weight balance of this car is almost 50-50 .. that's why it is fun and nimble. The center of gravity is well balanced.

And for $25K price tag, it only had 20,500 miles on the odometer. It's now around 24,800 miles after more than a year of use.

Spend a little on a tune $199 .. and get 300+ lbs of torque on a light chassis.

https://www.burgertuning.com/collections/shop-for/products/f-series-jb-quick-install-tuner

Last edited:
The Nissan Z car is one of the best values in a sports car. A lightly used 370Z will fit your price point, has a good 6-speed, 330HP, handles well, and is more comfortable than a lot of the other cars mentioned.

A 350Z is what I drive now, and I'm keeping it even after I pick up the Hellcat.

A 350Z is what I drive now, and I'm keeping it even after I pick up the Hellcat.

Is your Hellcat a manual? I did not think that was even an option. I had a 536 RWHP Camaro that was manual and the autos would eat my lunch, as M6 cars are tough to launch.

Yes it is! 6-speed Tremec trans, dual-plate clutch to handle the 717HP and 656 lbft of torque.

Manual was what sold me on this car. So much more involving than an auto.

Is your Hellcat a manual? I did not think that was even an option. I had a 536 RWHP Camaro that was manual and the autos would eat my lunch, as M6 cars are tough to launch.

The Hellcat has launch control that helps with that, push the button and release the clutch for a computer-assisted drag launch. Comes with line lock too for nice smoky burnouts to warm up the 305 rears.

The Hellcat has launch control that helps with that, push the button and release the clutch for a computer-assisted drag launch. Comes with line lock too for nice smoky burnouts to warm up the 305 rears.

It's a beautiful car, good luck with it and enjoy. My 2017 SS 1LE also had launch control, but after practice most folks can do better just turning all the nannies off and not using that feature.

I had not been to the drag strip in over 50 years, and my first time out ended up spinning like crazy through 3 gears and that was even using MT ET Street R tires, although I did not drop the tire pressure down enough. I did not have the patience or feeling in my feet to work on the launches, so sold the car and moved to an Audi RS5. That car launches like a rocket and handles like a go kart.

It's a beautiful car, good luck with it and enjoy. My 2017 SS 1LE also had launch control, but after practice most folks can do better just turning all the nannies off and not using that feature.

I had not been to the drag strip in over 50 years, and my first time out ended up spinning like crazy through 3 gears and that was even using MT ET Street R tires, although I did not drop the tire pressure down enough. I did not have the patience or feeling in my feet to work on the launches, so sold the car and moved to an Audi RS5. That car launches like a rocket and handles like a go kart.

My wife drives an Audi S5. Loves it. Nice blue that Audi sprays.

I looked at the Audi TTRS before buying the Hellcat, but it only comes with an automatic now, so it lost out.

Attachments

• 20170531_210400.jpg
    20170531_210400.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Ford Mustang convertible. Period.

If you live in a warm/hot climate the ONLY convertible to have is a hard top convertible, or easily removable hard top/sections otherwise you will boil. We live in Florida and have had 3 rag tops, Porsche, Ferrari & Jeep, never again.

Z4, other BMW, Mercedes auto hard tops are the way to go.

If you live in a cold area, what do you want with a convertible? :)

Last edited:
Maybe an older, used Hellcat? Roomy, comfy and more power than you'll ever need.
There is no such thing as to much power, IMO. My daily driver has over 700 Hp (Hellcat engine) and I need (well want) a lot more. When I first bought it, I thought it was awesome. Now, almost 18mos later, it's just "okay".

Get yourself a C6 corvette. Caution - they are tough to get in and out of.
Probably one of the main reasons I gave up on Vettes. It didn't seem to be a problem when I was in my 40's and 50's but once I hit my early 60's it became a real issue. It's must be because they started making them lower to the ground.:LOL:

Last edited:
There is no such thing as to much power, IMO. My daily driver has over 700 Hp (Hellcat engine) and I need (well want) a lot more. When I first bought it, I thought it was awesome. Now, almost 18mos later, it's just "okay".

You need a Nimitz class carrier. I think the 2 nuclear reactors combined push over 276,000 HP :)

You need a Nimitz class carrier. I think the 2 nuclear reactors combined push over 276,000 HP :)

:LOL: However, I'm sure my wimpy 707 HP will still out accelerate it.

My wife drives an Audi S5. Loves it. Nice blue that Audi sprays.

I looked at the Audi TTRS before buying the Hellcat, but it only comes with an automatic now, so it lost out.

Is that your garage? If so, I totally have garage envy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom