Case for taking SS early (62)?

My husband filed before FRA but older than 62. I think it's optimum for us. He gets 90% of what he would have got at FRA. I will delay mine until I'm either FRA or 70. So between the two of us we will be able to stretch this SS thing.
Another thing that I didn't know and read from the book by Janet Quinn Bryant , How to make your money last, retirement guide. If something happens to my husband and I'm at least 60, I will be able to get 90- 100% of his current SS. Not sure about the exact amount. But close enough. I can live on his SS and delay mine until FRA or 70.

I started collecting survivor benes as soon as I could, age 60. All I had to do was not remarry. I will wait until FRA and then collect on my own account which will double my bene.

Might as well collect her dough first, she's not going to.

At 60 you get his full x.71 . That would be more then his early benefit double cut because you filed early too. There is a floor in place to avoid being cut to much .

Last edited:
I rigged in a little more and I get .71 even in my 50s for survivor benefit, more after age 60-FRA.

But to collect before 60 you need to meet some special situations like kids or disability's ,etc

Right, I think I misread on another page. Still good to be able to collect at 60.

Survivor at 60 is x.71 off husbands full or x.81 at 62

Back
Top Bottom