Cash going into RE

I have a cash moat of about 4 years in bank savings/CDs. I consider it part of my bond allocation. I have never understood why people have investments that they consider to somehow be outside of their AA.

Until it is spent it is part of my AA.
For rebalancing purposes. Most people don’t include what’s in their checking or the funds withdrawn from investment accounts for current year spending when they rebalance.

Personally it works cleanly for me, because I only rebalance and withdraw a fixed % from my retirement accounts only regardless of what happens to the funds afterwards.

For rebalancing purposes. Most people don’t include what’s in their checking or the funds withdrawn from investment accounts for current year spending when they rebalance.

I understand people do it. If it is a small amount then I guess it doesn't matter. I consider cash part of my AA because it represents assets I have allocated to cash.

;)

I second the idea of short- and medium-duration bond funds. I have VCSH and VCIT, Vanguard ETFs, in several Fidelity accounts. VCSH pays 2.76% monthly; VCIT pays 3.14% monthly. Money can be moved with a click.

As with all investments, keep an eye on them. I'm not a fan of setting and forgetting.

Schwab now has 'retirement income funds' that pay monthly, and are based on your risk tolerance and how much is in the account. These accounts are quite good, and prevent a lot of anxiety - at least for me they do. Worth a look if nothing else.

I would count bank cash as part of AA. If that bothers you...just realize you may want to adjust your target AA to something different than your 60/40.

For us, we have rental properties that provide about 40% of our annual spending. The rest we are covering for the time being with bank account and some minor handyman income I'm making. We have plenty in TIRAs, but we don't want to take out too much to lose the ACA subsidy for now...so we are "working the plan" to try to keep AGI low.

You seem to be thoughtful and are just having the typical jitters many have when going from building wealth to depleting it...hang in there and you'll be fine.

Another option if you're still worried...determine how much of your spending is truly discretionary (travel, hobbies, etc.) and then if you have a bad year...cut some of that budget for the next year. That's what we are doing...if we have a bad year, we skip the $12k international vacation the next year.

So far we've only had one bad year...this COVID year. No one wants a handyman in their house during this and some of our tenants have been unable to pay or pay very late. But, we've been lucky in that our spending has gone WAY down due to the pandemic. We cancelled our Carribean cruise ($7k), have saved a ton on not eating out (we averaged $1,200/mo on meals out...and are now only spending $400 more on groceries...so $800/mo savings). As a result, we're still taking the international trip next year!

Where's that "blow that dough" thread lol.

Our financial plan has a special line for capital expenses. New cars in 2012 and 2016. House expenses in 2007 and 2019 (snowbird property and upgrade). In each case, we can quickly assess the long term impact of the expenditures and decide if it is worth it.

The property expenses have proven fortuitous by forcing sale of equities in a timely fashion.

What is AA? I wish people wouldn't use abbreviations,

I tried searching for a link for asset allocation information and could not find. Can anyone point me to one?

Convert balances in accounts that force you to take RMD into ROTH and keep the investing mindset. I don't think you have to change your mindset to start withdraw just because you retire. You have been doing well all these years so it worked for you. If you wish to start doing something different (road trip for a year, check out Iceland, etc.) in order to fulfill your dream or promises that can be costly, then plan ahead.

Maybe look into expanding the cash percentage of the portfolio so you have a bigger emergency fund if that allows you to sleep better.

People in panic (or angry) mode tend to make poor decisions and losing money is one of the effects.

Back
Top Bottom