CASH in CD's/Money Market or other investment options?

My thoughts are the Caveman's thoughts: What?!?

Your thoughts......given the current market? :confused:

I must be getting a little silly tonight, because when I read that I could almost hear Clint Eastwood saying, "Do you feel lucky? Do you?"

It's a blue light special on the market, or so some say. I am a bit of a "chicken" and not rushing to buy quite yet, though. Meanwhile in money market or CD's you can get 5% or more and that's a lot more certain.

I don't think anyone here has a crystal ball, or can tell by their analysis when the market will take an upswing. So, do you feel lucky? :)

We are moving more of our money toward cash. But we can get 6.95% in the bank in Australia, so for us we are happy to take the guaranteed return rather than risk loosing too much.

If your sick just take the return of the MM or CD and concentrate on getting better. Don't worry about the swings of the market. What I would do anyways.

I committed to a particular AA and slice n dice portfolio about 2 months ago. I just keep putting money in monthly, including a recently matured CD, in the funds that need to be filled up - mostly foreign right now in taxable. While I pay attention to what is happening in the market I'm not letting it influence my decisions. When the money shows up in the brokerage account it is invested the same day. I'm in it for the long term and so far sleeping OK and only time will tell if it was the right decision...

DD

Well, I keep putting in money because my 401(k) is automatically added to every two weeks.

With the money I save outside of that, I usually invest once every two months or so. I intend to keep doing that. I'm a buy and hold investor for the long haul.

I have 3-4 years of living expenses in Cd's and MM. My MM is VG Prime account. I am moving it to GMAC which has a higher yield, when you subtract the fund fee, and is FDIC insured. It also has an ATM card which is good for emergencies.

That cash is a safety blanket and no one likes a wet blanket.

;-)

I'm holding on to VG Prime MM balance. Having said that I started today DCA'ing into FSTMX.... no hurry as long as that 5% stays in place.

I invest for the long term. I truly could care less what the DJIA, an index consisting of only 30 stocks, does in any given day, week, month or quarter. Also, I hate CD's and "high yield mmk's". After factoring in taxes and inflation, you're lucky to break even.

I invest for the long term. I truly could care less what the DJIA, an index consisting of only 30 stocks, does in any given day, week, month or quarter. Also, I hate CD's and "high yield mmk's". After factoring in taxes and inflation, you're lucky to break even.

Right now, break even looks pretty good to me.

Back
Top Bottom