Verify my understanding of secondary market brokered CD

Earl E Retyre

Full time employment: Posting here.
Looking at Vanguard secondary market brokered CDs and I see the attached one available. My understanding is that this would be a 5.5 year CD (maturing 5/2030) which is being offered at a worst-case-scenario to yield 4.5%. The current highest bidder is offering 5.7%.

So, it is possible I could offer 5% and it is possible my bid gets taken. If so, it would essentially give me a 5%, 5+ year CD.

While it is callable, since the face value is $1.60 it should never be called.

Am I understanding this all correctly?

Would this not be a good deal at 5%? Even at the asking price of 4.5%, that seems to be a decent deal based on new offers right now.

Or am I totally confused in understanding secondary CD markets?

Attachments

• secondary-CD.jpg
    secondary-CD.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 30
That's what I see, but I'm not an expert. Curious of other's inputs too.

The yield to maturity is mainly the final payment at face value. For the next five years you’d get approximately a 2% annual yield on your roughly $80 investment.
My experience has been that the broker will accept prices within a few cents of the posted ask price but not dollars adrift.
Whether this is a good deal for you depends on whether you’re happy to wait five years for most of the gain to be crystallized.

I'm not sure I understand your statement "the face value is $1.60". The 1.60 appears to be the coupon rate, not the face value...right?

The yield to maturity is mainly the final payment at face value. For the next five years you’d get approximately a 2% annual yield on your roughly $80 investment.
My experience has been that the broker will accept prices within a few cents of the posted ask price but not dollars adrift.
Whether this is a good deal for you depends on whether you’re happy to wait five years for most of the gain to be crystallized.
Ah ... this is very helpful and I think I understand. My annual yield is low (2%), but when the CD matures, I would get the value of the CD as if I paid $100 (even though I only paid $80) which makes the average of all the years come out to the yield to worst (e.g., 5%). I get less cash flow for the 5 years but as long as I am holding until the end, then it is not a bad deal.

Back
Top Bottom