Charitable Causes

Lemonade

Dryer sheet aficionado
In reading another thread, several mentioned no heirs and leaving their remaining wealth to charity.

I have had the opportunity for the last 4 years to help a friend identify charities that she might send some of her QCD to. After losing a spouse to cancer, she sends to cancer charities. Also to local nursing school in honor of those who helped her spouse. Also to local pet rescue as her spouse always loved dogs.

So I was interested in what types of charities folks would leave their estates to, and if you want to share, why that charity?

Rather than name names, I thought broad categories might be interesting. If I knew how to make a poll, I'd break it down somewhat like this...

Education
Medicine/Hospitals
Veterans/Mental Health
Animals
Local civic and arts organizations
Large/broad help orgs (like Red Cross or Salvation Army)
Food/Homelessness
International help
Religious
Ecology/Audobon/National Parks/Nature
Women's/children's causes

Anyone care to share?

Edited: Thanks to athena53 for some additional categories

Last edited:
I'd definitely add religious. Not for everyone but that's where a lot of my donations go. This year I'll be contributing to a capital campaign at a church in my denomination- not my home church but a former US President was married there and it's on the National Register of Historic Places. They're also seeking grants, of course.

Also- Ecological (e.g., Sierra Club, Greenpeace). Domestic violence shelters.

SO many worthy causes.

In reading another thread, several mentioned no heirs and leaving their remaining wealth to charity.
I have had the opportunity for the last 4 years to help a friend identify charities that she might send some of her QCD to. After losing a spouse to cancer, she sends to cancer charities. Also to local nursing school in honor of those who helped her spouse. Also to local pet rescue as her spouse always loved dogs.
So I was interested in what types of charities folks would leave their estates to, and if you want to share, why that charity?

Rather than name names, I thought broad categories might be interesting. If I knew how to make a poll, I'd break it down somewhat like this...

Education
Medicine/Hospitals
Veterans/Mental Health
Animals
Local civic and arts organizations
Large/broad help orgs (like Red Cross or Salvation Army)
Food/Homelessness
International help

Anyone care to share?
I'm a local charity giver. I know there are many fine charity groups all doing a tough job trying to support their favorite charity.

I spent 10 years on a local Health Care/Hospital foundation Board of Directors. It is one that I feel very proud of and will also be a steward for them to keep Health Care a high priority in our community.

Helping locally to me makes a lot of sense and I can see the benefits with my own eyes. I have always seen the value in community support.

Our total estate when we cark it will be split between 3 charities equally.

Guide Dogs for the Blind
St. Jude's Childrens Hospital
Shriners Childrens Hospital.

Helping locally to me makes a lot of sense and I can see the benefits with my own eyes. I have always seen the value in community support.

Local is good. I've been fairly stingy with the major charities, not because I don't believe in what they do, but because I think they get all the attention and donations when disaster hits (and one seems to have a monopoly on payroll donations and a history of aggressive workplace solicitations:(). One of the things I love about my Donor Advised Fund is that I can give as a need arises or as I learn of a worthy effort in my own area. I've given to local churches, a domestic violence shelter, a faith-based school, the Ballet and an organization that helps people out of homelessness because they're all local and I can see what they do.

There is overlap. I donate monthly to a charity that offers low cost veterinary services for low income families. Is this primarily helping animals or the poor?

Lots of overlap...my category of veterans included mental health, but obviously many vets have other needs, and many with mental health issues are not veterans. Not an exact science, just genuine curiosity.

We haven't finished out bequeaths yet but will likely be a mix of our DAFs and a community foundation.

The DAFs can continue to donate to our usual charities (or wherever the successor advisors decide, we will leave that choice to them).

There is so many ways to give other than a non-profit charitable Group. One thing I want to do is set to give a voucher for 5$ off of a meal for people at the hospital Cafeteria. Many travel for care and for cancer people family that have to spend a few days here. They would be able to get a voucher for a credit on a meal and there would be no restrictions on who or why.
Of course, there would be a credit for a tax break for donating but that isn't why I give anyway.

Once we both pass away, our entire estate will be split equally between our church and a no-kill animal shelter.

I use QCD's to donate. My choices are Angel Flight West and my local religious institution.
I believe in the warm hand philosophy. I regularly gift part of my RMD to our 4 sons.

The biggest charitable piece of our estate will go to the local community foundation where the dollars can have real impact and administrative costs are low. (Total staff of 3.) (https://cof.org/foundation-type/community-foundations) We have discussed with them how we'd like our bequest used and are confident that our wishes will be honored We are also using QCDs to donate to our fund there but on a much smaller scale than what we expect the final bequest to be.

IMO there is nothing wrong with the large national charities like Red Cross (and I have volunteered with Red Cross) but we just feel that to national charities our money will be only a small drop in a large bucket. So we like "local." If you have charitable intent, I suggest you visit a nearby community foundation to hear their story.

Different subject: Federal tax returns of nonprofits, except for the very smallest, can be downloaded from https://www.guidestar.org/. Free registration is required but I have been registered for years and never received any unwanted email. The tax returns, among other things, show names and salaries for top level employees. For simple due diligence I look for exorbitant salaries and multiple family members on the payroll. I also look for suspiciously high expenses compared to amounts spent to support the nonprofit's mission.

Last year I decided I needed a more focus plan where to give so I came up with a prioritized list, though the priorities are pretty fluid. I expect this list to evolve, with things moved, added, and deleted over the rest of my life. It's my list, I don't expect everyone to have these priorities but I'm not going to listen for someone to tell me I'm wrong. However if you have a legit non-biased reason why any of my charities aren't effective towards my priorities, I will listen.

1) Environment: Environmental Defense Fund
Everything else is meaningless if this continues to go to hell.

2) Community organizations: local fire & rescue
These could save my life, and have saved lives of friends and neighbors.

3) Local poverty: Food bank, medical center that serves all, community fund
There is much poverty in my county and some good organizations that give aid to them.

4a) World poverty & suffering: Americares, International Rescue Foundation, Doctors Without Borders, The Clear Fund
These seem to address the areas with the most need and the least local services, due to poverty, wars or natural disasters

4b) Native American education & poverty
We've got a 3rd world country within our borders, of our making. I'm still trying to figure out how I can effectively help.

5) Diseases, with personal connection to or that have great impact on quality of life
Curing all diseases sounds great, but would lead to overpopulation and stress the environment further. My priority would be diseases that take a terrible toll on quality of life, like Alzheimer's (which my mother has) or ALS.

6) Other personal connections, like NPR and the local cat rescue organization

I see some other good causes mentioned in this thread that I will consider adding.

Different subject: Federal tax returns of nonprofits, except for the very smallest, can be downloaded from https://www.guidestar.org/. Free registration is required but I have been registered for years and never received any unwanted email. The tax returns, among other things, show names and salaries for top level employees. For simple due diligence I look for exorbitant salaries and multiple family members on the payroll. I also look for suspiciously high expenses compared to amounts spent to support the nonprofit's mission.

+1. I have a DAF at Fidelity, and they have links to GuideStar, Charity Navigator, Give.org and Giving Compass. I believe you don't even have to register with them to use these sites when you use Fido's links.

DW and I have no kids, so at this time our estate will go to extended family members and two charities. We basically give to the following 6 charities routinely with the first two named as bequest in our will, etc.

1) Buys land in-holdings (most commonly old mining claims) in Wilderness areas and converts the land back to public domain for inclusion into the surrounding wilderness.
2) Local domestic violence shelter.
3) Local charity that provides shelter, etc. for homeless youth and runaways.
4) Local charity that works closely with the BLM to educate and preserve our public lands.
5) Local food bank
6) Statewide charity that builds and maintains hiking trails in CO.

No QCDs for us, as Megacorp will match first $5,500 of donations each year for pension eligible retirees. I wonder how many other folks would be eligible for a match from former employer and don't even know about it(?).

Almost all local for DW and I.
- Outdoor recreation (this is also in my wheelhouse for volunteering)
- Organizations like hospice, etc where both the workers and clients have it tough
- Local foundation that spreads the good around the community (and adds a match)

Many years ago, DH and I became more intentional in our giving. We developed an annual budget; divided it in half and each select our preferred charities. I keep a spreadsheet. We increase this budget by a specific amount each year. While some of it is disbursed throughout the year, the bulk is distributed in November, through QCD's out of our IRA's. Our selections are relatively static, remaining the same from year to year. Where possible we give locally, or to local chapters of national organizations. The list includes:

Our local religious org
Several Illness Research Related 501c's
Local Animal Refuge League
Local PBS Station
Numerous Environmental Groups
Disabled Veteran's Group
Local Homeless Shelter
Local Food Pantry
Local Red Cross Chapter
Local Planned Parenthood Chapter
100+ Women quarterly recipients
My Alma Mata
World Wildlife Fund
Local Immigrant Welcome Center
Local USO

We either add a new cause each year or bump up our contributions to repeat orgs, so that over time our annual gift steadily increases.

By handling our giving this way, we don't feel guilty when we decline a request.

Our annual donations changed over the years. Currently,

Meals on Wheels
local Food Bank
Veterans of Foreign Wars
Disabled American Veterans
The Salvation Army
American Red Cross
local Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
The Humane Society
college alumni foundation
Susan G Komen breast cancer research

When I was w*orking, these charities received annual donations:
American Cancer Society
American Heart Association
American Lung Association
Easter Seals
St Jude’s Hospital

My current donations and name charitable beneficiaries are generally animal oriented.
I try to keep the bequests about equal.

Denver Dumb Friends League. I volunteered at their animal shelters for 18 years when I lived in the Denver area.
The Wild Animal Sanctuary. The largest sanctuary of its kind for large cats, bears and other large carnivores. I've contributed to their land purchases in SE Colorado and to their new wild horse rescue in northern Colorado.
The Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary. A beautiful place that is also conserving land for these great creatures.

Other local charities such as animal shelters and food bank are being integrated into the mix as well.

I'm a local charity giver. I know there are many fine charity groups all doing a tough job trying to support their favorite charity.

I spent 10 years on a local Health Care/Hospital foundation Board of Directors. It is one that I feel very proud of and will also be a steward for them to keep Health Care a high priority in our community.

Couldn't have said it better.

Charities supported out of income, whether earned or unearned.

Assets left at end of life go to the kids or their issue per stirpes.

During my lifetime I give to a variety of causes but my biggest donations go to food banks, in honor of my grandmother who always stressed that if people don’t have food, nothing else matters.

On my death, I expect the bulk of my estate will go to my brothers if they survive me but more likely to my nieces and nephews, with perhaps a gift or two to some other people significant in my life.

Our estate will go to our two children.
Currently we donate annually to three charities and chose within the category:
Animal based
Cancer based
International Medical based

Back
Top Bottom