Clark Howard/Early Retirement

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
Heard Clark Howard on the radio Friday.He mentioned he retired at age 31. He said he invested in stocks,had a travel agency he eventually sold and saved I believe 50% of his income. Does anyone have any info on exactly how he invested in the market to be able to retire in roughly 10-12 years. I don't think he's written an autobiograhy as yet. He's currently 52 and has obviously reaped tremendous portfolio growth from the 90's stock market boom, after retirement!

I agree he's still working but it's obviously what he wants to do. He has a "business" that lets him travel all over the world, look into anything he is interested in and can write it all off on his taxes. He has the ultimate legal scam as long as his income exceeds his negative cash flow most years. He does have a staff but radio people don't get paid much unless they are major names. Clark makes his money on his ad sales and publications.

He started and sold a business to let him do his own thing. It's the classic American dream. We also have a bunch of tech bubble millionaires/billionaires running around this country that got out with their cash before the crash. Some are even on this forum.

I listen to Clark Howard often. First of all Clark lives very frugally. I assume the money from the travel agency sale was sufficent for his needs at age 31. From his website :
"Clark founded a travel agency that he built into a very successful chain with locations across metro Atlanta. He sold the company in 1987 at 31 years old and retired. "

I seem to recall he worked for IBM while they paid for his Grad school. Perhaps he invested heavily in IBM as well. I know he started investing very early he talks of learning to read stock tables as a child from his Father.

He is working but is definetly by choice - he strikes me a a genuine very likable fellow who wants to teach others how to LBYM.

actually - to correct myself Clark can live very frugally . With a wife and children and owning at least two homes he does live well. He does however know how to stretch a dollar and frequently does so . (If only now to enhance his persona ? ) I think though like me, he enjoys snagging a deal and does not want to spend on things he sees a of little value .

Does anyone have any info on exactly how he invested in the market to be able to retire in roughly 10-12 years. I don't think he's written an autobiograhy as yet.
He's not ER'd-- the guy is working his butt off!

He interviewed Billy & Akaisha a while back. (Clark Howard Interview) He could've been hamming it up for the listeners at home, but my impression was that he didn't have a clue how they pulled it off.

Steps to becoming a successful demagogue (book writer, newsletter writer, or radio or internet personality):
  1. Invent story of your investing/business success and how you did it all before age 30.
  2. Reinforce step 1 by referencing 1 over and over in conversation….
  3. Gain a following of folks that would kill for you....
  4. Profit

Steps to becoming a successful demagogue (book writer, newsletter writer, or radio or internet personality):
  1. Invent story of your investing/business success and how you did it all before age 30.
  2. Reinforce step 1 by referencing 1 over and over in conversation….
  3. Gain a following of folks that would kill for you....
  4. Profit

I agree - he is working - he has multi million dollar book deal; radio show; is on the talk circut; and other enterprises. Nothing wrong with that but it is work.

I agree - he is working - he has multi million dollar book deal; radio show; is on the talk circut; and other enterprises. Nothing wrong with that but it is work.

Sort of what I call the Jimmy Buffett paradox - Margaritaville but actually work your butt off singing about it.

Or??

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh :cool:. Sure glad I found this forum or I'd still be an unemployed slacker instead of a high class ER.

Funny. This guy is not on the radio in our market. But I heard him when driving on a vacation a couple of years back and listened to his show as we drove through an area where his show was broadcast.

He sounded older to me than he looks. I go the impression he was in his 60's. Not sure why... his voice just seemed to sound a bit older.

He looks older in person ! He also has the middle age bulge....too many 25 cent hot dogs and cigarettes (I think he's a smoker).

He's ok.......but he wouldn't sound as smart without his research team doing all the work (a la Jim Rome)...........;)

High maintenance wife

Article in the paper said his boss lady has two Jaguars and a Lexus SUV. I love the show but now I think he is a bit hypocritical. Still is on the money on most things.:eek:

I listen to him fairly often. He's not the smoothest personality on the air, but he gives very solid advice and covers topics that most folks need to hear. No "hot" stock tips or urging people to write covered calls--just plain old low expense funds, save a lot, and let compounding do it's magic. Most of his show covers consumer issues (not investing), and he gives good advice there, too (though he's smitten by the Prius bug--alas, no one is perfect).

I don't know that I'd fault him for what his wife chooses to drive. Just because he's cheap doesn't mean his frau is wired that way.

Back
Top Bottom