Class of 2020

So mid-November it will be, if I can hold out that long.
I'm planning on leaving sometime between September of this year and January of next. Every time I walk out the door at lunch time for a quick walk around the block, I breathe in the outside air, see the sky and birds and fountains, and feel the stress release. The thought of working another 9 months seems impossible.

I'm planning on leaving sometime between September of this year and January of next. Every time I walk out the door at lunch time for a quick walk around the block, I breathe in the outside air, see the sky and birds and fountains, and feel the stress release. The thought of working another 9 months seems impossible.

Do you need to financially have to stay for 9 more months or just want to stay?

Do you need to financially have to stay for 9 more months or just want to stay?
My former company is considering an IPO next month, which will affect the ESOP valuation. Staying another 9 months is a hedge against falling ESOP valuation, which is about 20% of my portfolio. It won't cover all potential losses, but could help.

Yep, I understand that. Good luck.

Strongly considering October 2020.

Took a 6 month sabbatical about 4 years ago. It was completely awesome. Considered just never going back, but I got the offer I couldn't refuse, yada, yada, and here I am at Megacorp, actually having a pretty good time.

Stock vests throughout the year, but a pretty big traunch hits every September, which is why I'm looking at October.

$2.8M, but with expenses in the $90K/year range. Every calculator I use says "yep." I do have a bit of OMY syndrome, but when I took current job (three+ years ago), I said I'd stay for 3-5 years. October 2020 would be 4.5 years. Destiny!

I found my first financial plan developed a long time ago when I had just started at previous Megacorp (savings then: $1,500). My goal was to retire before I was 60. October 2020 I will be 59.5.

Everyone around me says "meh, you aren't going to retire. You'd be bored. You need a job. You'll just take a less stressful job. You won't last 6 months being retired." Me, I think I will do just fine.

Only thing holding me back from committing is the whole healthcare situation. If they pull preexisting conditions or put preexisting condition people into a pool with high deductibles and limits on what is covered or amounts covered, then I'll be forced to work until I'm 65, which would suck.

Thought I belonged in the class of 2021.

Then I found this forum and joined the class of 2020.

Then, people younger than me started retiring. And others died while still working. And then DW had a serious car accident.

Aha moment; time really is more important than money.

DW is recovering nicely. Replaced her car with a tank.

I have advanced the in the class to the September 2019 spot. Reserved our October cruise to the Mediterranean just last week.

Have not told anyone at work. Company policy is 45 days notice for retirement.

Not a day goes by without me thinking either, "That's the last time I have to do X." or "You poor slobs."

Looking forward to being self unemployed.

Last edited:
Thought I belonged in the class of 2021.

Then I found this forum and joined the class of 2020.

Then, people younger than me started retiring. And others died while still working. And then DW had a serious car accident.

Aha moment; time really is more important than money.

DW is recovering nicely. Replaced her car with a tank.

I have advanced the in the class to the September 2019 spot. Reserved our October cruise to the Mediterranean just last week.

Have not told anyone at work. Company policy is 45 days notice for retirement.

Not a day goes by without me thinking either, "That's the last time I have to do X." or "You poor slobs."

Looking forward to being self unemployed.

Amen to the time is more important than money comment. I have to remind myself of that often.

2022 is now 2020!!

For years I have been telling myself that August 2022 is the smartest option for my retirement, and it is very true financially, but recently I have been just feeling SOOO TIRED!!!

What I miss when I go in 2020:
- A big jump with the megacorp defined pension plan that would have hit in June 2022. Estimated loss: $18k per year for life.
- Tax hit from having to cash out all options and deferred pay immediately instead of over 10 years post retirement, as I won't hit the required years of service for the delayed pay. Estimated loss: $400k.
- Probably some $300k less in retirement savings due to 2.5 fewer years worked.
- Will no longer afford to continue as a major donor to my favorite charities, whom I have been able to help to the tune of $50k per year.

In other words, with our modest life style in LCOLA area we really did not have any planned need for the extra money anyway, but after being a super saver for decades it truly hurts to forgo amounts like that.

What I gain when I leave earlier:
- Become a full time dad for my kids and houseboy for my wife. To fully enjoy my family. This has been a source of depression for me as 12 hour exhausting working days in a high stress job have made me a consistently absent father and spouse. Even when I'm home physically I am often absent mentally.
- Get into healthier life style and better physical shape. Wanting to be a healthy and fun parent and husband for decades to come.
- Have time for myself to concentrate my own spiritual growth and formation.
- Take time to just enjoy and explore the beautiful and interesting world around us.

So, the planned day is February 1, 2020. 294 days to go. For some tactical reasons I can not resign until first of the year, so if they ask very nicely I would consider staying until May 1, but that's it!

Last edited:
- Become a full time dad for my kids and houseboy for my wife. To fully enjoy my family. This has been a source of depression for me as 12 hour exhausting working days in a high stress job have made me a consistently absent father and spouse. Even when I'm home physically I am often absent mentally.
- Get into healthier life style and better physical shape. Wanting to be a healthy and fun parent and husband for decades to come.
- Take time to just enjoy and explore the beautiful and interesting world around us.

These are largely the reasons I will be leaving too. This was all underscored by the recent, sudden and unexpected passing of my brother-in-law. He and my sister had just retired in the past couple of years and barely got a chance to enjoy their time together. The job he had consumed him and I wish he would have left years before. As my job began to do that to me I decided that enjoying this marvelous world, learning new things and caring for those close to me would be a much better use of time.
Congratulations to you on your decision and on being able to focus on the things that truly matter.

Still looking at Feb 20th next year as my departure date (2/20/2020).
After reading all the great advice on this site though, I've decided to shorten my notice time from originally 1 year, then six months, now 3 months. So that will be November 20th, which is still 7 months away. I know the 3 months after my notice will go fast, but these next 7 feel like they are dragging along!
Wrapping up 4 day weekend tomorrow and taking another one next Thursday to use up some vacation time accrued. They have been a great refresher but kind of a tease of what to come too!

2022 is now 2020!!

For years I have been telling myself that August 2022 is the smartest option for my retirement, and it is very true financially, but recently I have been just feeling SOOO TIRED!!!

What I miss when I go in 2020:
- A big jump with the megacorp defined pension plan that would have hit in June 2022. Estimated loss: $18k per year for life.
- Tax hit from having to cash out all options and deferred pay immediately instead of over 10 years post retirement, as I won't hit the required years of service for the delayed pay. Estimated loss: $400k.
- Probably some $300k less in retirement savings due to 2.5 fewer years worked.
- Will no longer afford to continue as a major donor to my favorite charities, whom I have been able to help to the tune of $50k per year.

In other words, with our modest life style in LCOLA area we really did not have any planned need for the extra money anyway, but after being a super saver for decades it truly hurts to forgo amounts like that.

So, the planned day is February 1, 2020. 294 days to go. For some tactical reasons I can not resign until first of the year, so if they ask very nicely I would consider staying until May 1, but that's it!

Much of this is true for me too. By the time I get home from my job, I don't have much left for my family- and they're so much more important. My boys are 12 and 15 now, and won't be around much longer. Teenage years need all of my attention and patience- not just what's left over after work. Kudos to you for trading money for what's really important.

I really could use another year or two of accumulation but circumstances are driving us to cut that short. I might not even make it to 2020 at this point though my spouse will. Fingers crossed.
It is looking increasingly like I won't make it to 2020. We signed papers on a home in a retirement community, and will likely be able to move in sometime this fall. That'll surely earn me a pink slip from megacorp - and I'll breathe a sigh of relief. Money will be a little tight, but nothing we can't overcome.

I am in the class of 2020 - looking at June, 2020. Told my boss so they could do some succession planning if they want. I will be 60 and wife will be 58. We have around $2.86Mil in investments (pre and post tax) and another $1mil in non-income producing real estate.

I am in the class of 2020 - looking at June, 2020. Told my boss so they could do some succession planning if they want. I will be 60 and wife will be 58. We have around $2.86Mil in investments (pre and post tax) and another $1mil in non-income producing real estate.
Welcome!

Aaargh! Just had a conference call with HR, and my coordinator explained that all retirement plans start on the last day of the month. My countdown timer went from 278 days to 303. :(

Last edited:
Aaargh! Just had a conference call with HR and my coordinator explained that all retirement plans start on the last day of the month. My countdown timer went from 278 days to 303. :(

Or you could just move it up a month:confused: :)

Or you could just move it up a month:confused: :)
I can't. The whole reason I haven't retired before now is because I wasn't old enough. My birthday is on the first so I thought I would retire the next business day, which is the 3. Dang.

Aw, bummer. Doesn't sound as bad as my 551 though... 18 months (including that darned extra day in February) from today... :)
I decided to wait till I'm "old enough" for the retirement package which includes some benefits. I have actually ended up staying 2 years longer than originally planned (I was in class of '18, but held myself back). When I reset my timer for that it went from 300 days to nearly 1000. It was so depressing I had to delete it. One more month is certainly better than one more year.

I decided to wait till I'm "old enough" for the retirement package which includes some benefits. I have actually ended up staying 2 years longer than originally planned

Very similar to my own circumstances that I waxed philosophical on this thread back in February. The golden handcuffs dilemma... The numbers all say "Go, you'll be fine.", but 551 days (used to) seem a small price to pay for the benefits I'll garner on that magical date. The one big caveat is that I swear the forces of the universe are conspiring to make my last 18 months the most miserable of my 30-year career. Literally. Managerial insanity ensues.

Back
Top Bottom