Class of 2020

2020, is doable. I would like to retire to get the stock grants and get locked in on the pension and simply go somewhere else for a few years and be productive. I guess I am afraid there is a hidden clause somewhere about noncompete in my defined pension and that is the only thing that keeps me in the 2023 class. Otherwise I would punch out.
Why would you go elsewhere for a few years? Financial reasons or just not ready?

Figure I better get on this thread. Planning on July 2020 right around my 46th birthday... giving myself the gift of freedom and I should earn just enough take home to cover my expenses for 2020 and allow me to max out my 401K one more year. Numbers work but I'm obsessively checking/rerunning them and definitely have a lot of anxiety/impatience.... going to be the longest 9 months of my life!

Figure I better get on this thread. Planning on July 2020 right around my 46th birthday... giving myself the gift of freedom and I should earn just enough take home to cover my expenses for 2020 and allow me to max out my 401K one more year. Numbers work but I'm obsessively checking/rerunning them and definitely have a lot of anxiety/impatience.... going to be the longest 9 months of my life!
Welcome to the thread!

Hi, Class of 2020. I feel like I have one leg in your class and one in the 2015 Class. I semiretired in 2015 to teach part-time online (flexible hours/days for 9 months) at half my salary, and while the purists don't call me retired, I certainly feel retired in comparison to my former work life.

It looks like the online gig will run out in May, so at that point I will be fully retired, even to the purists (paychecks will continue until Sept 2020).

In my case, this has worked out fine, since my 1/2 salary is equivalent to pretty close to what DW and I will pull down in SS, which I plan to take in 4.5 years. I can pull from DW's IRA in 3 years, so the next 3 years are the hole in the donut and I have enough cash in my 403b (and 8% of the portfolio in a brokerage account) to carry us to that point when I can pull from both accounts. I'll probably pull about 4.5-5% withdrawals for 5 years (with a lot of flexible spending in that withdrawal), but that seems manageable; after I draw SS it should go down to 3.5-4%, then drop even further when DW starts drawing.

Greetings!! Today is my LAST day at w*rk!! Retired officially tomorrow from all sources at age 49!! (although hubby & I still have a side gig selling jerky at beer/wine festivals, but down to only 5 shows per year)

On top of that, just signed closing documents for the sale of our home!! We bought our retirement home on a lake in July - and are living there while we wait on Mother Nature to be nice to get rolling on some renovations. Life is good!!

Greetings!! Today is my LAST day at w*rk!! Retired officially tomorrow from all sources at age 49!!

Class of 2019 is down the hall....

JUST KIDDING! Congratulations on your last day of work! I can't wait to be able to say that on 9/23/2020. The selling jerky thing sounds a lot more like fun than work. Enjoy!

Greetings!! Today is my LAST day at w*rk!! Retired officially tomorrow from all sources at age 49!! (although hubby & I still have a side gig selling jerky at beer/wine festivals, but down to only 5 shows per year)

On top of that, just signed closing documents for the sale of our home!! We bought our retirement home on a lake in July - and are living there while we wait on Mother Nature to be nice to get rolling on some renovations. Life is good!!
An early graduation. I'm jealous. [emoji16]

Joining class of 2020. DH and I will retire in November 2020. Plan is to move home from NCAL to SCal to our paid off home. DH pension will cover HC and everything else till I can access my 401k at 59.5.

We are looking forward to traveling and not working!

My story...retirement at 60

Welcome, Third Son - what's your story? :D

36 years working in the same field with different two companies. Married 34 yrs. Four kids graduated college and self-supporting. No debt. $2.2M in tax deferred 401K, $200K in tIRA, $72K in Roth $160K in taxable funds and $120K cash.

How's that?

Last edited:
36 years working in the same field with different two companies. Married 34 yrs. Four kids graduated college and self-supporting. No debt. $2.2M in tax deferred 401K, $200K in tIRA, $72K in Roth $160K in taxable funds and $120K cash.

How's that?

Sounds like a winning combination to me! :dance:

Well, it wasn't my resignation letter, but I did send an email notification to our SVP about my plan to retire in 2020. Felt weird to hit the "Send" button, but I did it...

Well, it wasn't my resignation letter, but I did send an email notification to our SVP about my plan to retire in 2020. Felt weird to hit the "Send" button, but I did it...
That's great that it is now officially 'out there'. For me, that was the first thing that made it feel 'real'. I'm getting close to my 2020 date - 122 days and counting! [emoji4]

94 days on my count down calendar. Successor in place- that was the last hurdle to clear before I could submit my retirement plan to the committee. Turning that sucker in next week. Happy Thanksgiving y'all! Lots to be thankful for today. [emoji16]

94 days on my count down calendar. Successor in place- that was the last hurdle to clear before I could submit my retirement plan to the committee. Turning that sucker in next week. Happy Thanksgiving y'all! Lots to be thankful for today. [emoji16]

Awesome you found a successor, hopefully they won't bail out this time.

Great news, ugg!

My development is that when I get back to work on Monday, I'll see my first countdown numbers under 300*... it's gettin' "real" as Coastbound noted above!

* on my "with PTO" countdown. This 'could' be messed with since I'm still officially an employee, but I don't think they will.

I’m pretty sure I’m a member of class of 2020. A week ago I informed work that I’m taking a one year sabbatical. But that one year may turn into 50.

I’m pretty sure I’m a member of class of 2020. A week ago I informed work that I’m taking a one year sabbatical. But that one year may turn into 50.
I'd love a sabbatical but my industry doesn't do those. Congrats to you though- when does yours begin?

Well I did it....

I released the hounds! Notified my boss and contacted HR. My retirement date is Feb 29 2020!

DW:58
no debt
four kids graduated with college degrees, three married
One income for 30 years
$2.8M saved

Let the conversions begin!

I released the hounds! Notified my boss and contacted HR. My retirement date is Feb 29 2020!

DW:58
no debt
four kids graduated with college degrees, three married
One income for 30 years
$2.8M saved

Let the conversions begin!

Your good to go, congratulations!

My date was supposed to be the end of December 2020, but that just changed as of today. I negotiated longer continued healthcare coverage in lieu of pay for the last six months so now my date is June 30th, 2020 and I get HC coverage for 74 months past my retirement date. The end is now really, really near.

I just turned my retirement papers in to HR. Won't hear back on comp package for 3 weeks. I am unexpectedly terrified. I thought I was over this.

I just turned my retirement papers in to HR. Won't hear back on comp package for 3 weeks. I am unexpectedly terrified. I thought I was over this.

Just relax. You are the financial person and sounds like you have thought this though by your previous posts.

Back
Top Bottom