Class of 2020

I turn 62 in Dec. ‘20. Plan on putting the house on the market and once it sells I’ll put in my notice. Retirement for DH and I means we will be moving to a lower cost of living area and hopefully finding p/t work. Maybe two days a week.

When I do retire I will have been working for 45 years. That’s quite enough.

Got the invitation to the retirement seminar at home office yesterday. I smiled the whole time I was registering for and booking that one. My countdown timer shows less than 500 days (493 to be exact) and the calendar on my desk says I only have 16 months to go. I think I'm gonna make it.

Got the invitation to the retirement seminar at home office yesterday. I smiled the whole time I was registering for and booking that one. My countdown timer shows less than 500 days (493 to be exact) and the calendar on my desk says I only have 16 months to go. I think I'm gonna make it.

Nice! Good luck I’m sure you’ll make it. Hoping for 01/01/20 myself which is OMY from our original plan. I think and hope we make it but some days are much harder than others. In the end I’m mentally ready for any path life deals us. So I think! Tons of life and living left and having ER in sight has made working far more palatable.

Joining the 2020 Club

Set a date of May 2020. We will both turn 57 that month. I have worked commercial construction for 40 years and my am I sore. Thanks to the economy this past two years we get to accelerate our RE. Looking to enjoy some time on the road seeing this great country and meeting wonderful people.

Hello!
Long time lurker and a member of the Class of 2020. My last work day will be May 31st or about 85 weeks. Not that I'm counting! I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering through this torturous countdown. It's been difficult to find ways to take my mind off it.
I will be a few months shy of 62 with around $1.6m in savings. I am undecided about SS. Not sure if I will wait till FRA or take my benefit at 62. No debt although DW and I have researched and settled on an RV to start traveling.
I worked in the retail business for the first 25 years of my career. ALOT of hours for relatively low pay. For the last 18 years I have worked in the auto industry. Great pay and benefit but assembly work takes a toll on your body. I will receive a pension from the company but have not included that in my current nest egg.
I look forward to revisiting this thread from time to time. Thanks!

Our plans have changed since finding this board. I've taken in some really valuable information here. We plan to ER with my last day being Dec 2, 2020. That gets me the full month of benefits and ACA enrollment at the same time. I'll be 59+3mos , DW will be 58. Shes been a SAHW (no kids) for most of our 33 years together so I think we've done pretty good for ourselves. No real reason to quit other than 30 years at the same old grind.

my retirement date has changed several times these past few years but I too now will be joining the class of 2020. with an exit date of March 15, 2020.

I'll stop working on Feb 15, burn up FTO on the books, collect a hopeful bonus check on or around March 12 and never look back. Spouse wants to keep working for another 3-5 years so that will make things easier.

at last! :dance:

So if my last day of work is 12/31/20 and my first day of retirement is 1/1/21, am I part of the class of 2020 or 2021? I thought 2021, but now I am not sure.

I semi-retired in 2015 at 57 to work part-time online, moved to Reno (and feel retired). But my part-time on-line gig ends in 2020, so I guess I have at least one foot in the 2020 class. Good luck to you all.

So if my last day of work is 12/31/20 and my first day of retirement is 1/1/21, am I part of the class of 2020 or 2021? I thought 2021, but now I am not sure.
My last planned work day is 12/31/19 and I'm considering myself part of the class of 2020.

I'd rather be first in the class than last!

LOL- I posted that post wine. Please excuse- at least his/her countdown timer says less than 365 days. Mine says 395...

At least I am down to the point where I can say,” I am retiring next year.”

I can almost see the end. Its next year.

I just bought my retirement truck.

We will make the move to our new/more moderate climate LCOL area home later this year. I will commute back to w*rk and keep a small apartment in the city until my obligations are over in 2020.

The finances are all in order. I went with a bond tent strategy to deal with sequence risks. Its actually paying off since I bought a lot over the last year and they've been going up with the drop in rates. I managed a small gain in 2018 in spite of everything.

From here I am going to dollar cost average my interest, dividends and new money back into more equites to get to my long term AA.

The big question mark is health insurance. We'll have coverage until the end of 2021. I've talked to several brokers and I know what we'd have to pay today for coverage, but all of that will change by 2021 anyway. There's plenty in the budget to cover it.

Looking forward to travel, adventure, bicycling, hiking, learning, teaching and having new routines.

My last day at work will be January 22, 2020. My company gives us a lot of paid time off at the end of the year, plus 2 floating holidays on January 1 and MLK day on Jan 20. By staying until mid January instead of leaving in December, I get 2 extra weeks of holiday/vacation pay. I plan to give notice right after the first of the year. I will have been here 17.5 years. DW retired two years ago and works PT from home 10 hours per week.

If my company continues to be the veritable cesspool to work for that it is right now, I don't think I'll make it to 2020 (my original date), much less 2022 (my current plan).

I don't seem to get anything right. I was "scheduled" for October 2018 but have now deferred to October 2020 (on my 62nd birthday). I've got a few more things to do work-wise to but a bow on my career and my job isn't very stressful so it's attractive compensation for what I do. While I once thought that I'd have much to do when I retired, my interests have changed some and I'm concerned about being bored. I know that I'll need to be more active. DW and I are considering relocating and not sure where we want to be when we grow up. Money shouldn't be an issue for us so my top priority needs to be fitness (to prolong health) and a plan for the future to keep things interesting for DW and me.

Part of my count down is the last time list. Last week it was buying my last pair of steel toe boots. This week last set of tires for the work truck. Whats next?

Back
Top Bottom