CNBC or NPR?

I listen to Marketplace Money podcasts but honestly I find them to be elementary and targeted at a young 20-something audience just starting out.

If I must choose a business TV network, I would pick Fox Business Network over CNBC. FBN is not carried on as many systems as CNBC, but I like Stuart Varney, Charles Payne, and Charlie Gasparino. Maria Bartiromo just moved over there.

CNBC in the morning, NPR in the evening.....best of both worlds.....watch evening news on NPR as well.

CNBC or NPR?

For me, neither.

I listen to Marketplace Money podcasts but honestly I find them to be elementary and targeted at a young 20-something audience just starting out.

If I must choose a business TV network, I would pick Fox Business Network over CNBC. FBN is not carried on as many systems as CNBC, but I like Stuart Varney, Charles Payne, and Charlie Gasparino. Maria Bartiromo just moved over there.
In my market Maria follows Imus on FBN in the morning.......Imus doesn't really turn me on to business news or FBN........CNBC and NPR are much, much better than FBN in my opinion......I do miss Maria on CNBC

The only news I watch on TV is local news, not much business news there.

I get most of my news on the net, but sometimes I listen to The Wall Street Journal this Morning on my iPhone via podcast. It's always waiting for me in the morning. It's an hour show, but the podcast is only about 35 minutes long (no ads).

They also do a weekend show that's included in the podcast that I like even better.

No news except maybe USA Today occasionally on iphone app.

CNBC or NPR?

For me, neither.

No news except maybe USA Today occasionally on iphone app.

We all know that professional investors cannot beat the market, even with all this "information" like we see on CNBC, NPR, and more. We know watching this stuff will add nothing to our bottom line or our well being, but a lot to our anxiety. But we watch anyway, myself included.

Now for my first year in retirement I have made a promise to myself to stop watching this c*ap as much as possible. I am going to devote more of myself to discovering what "real" life is. I have had enough of all this other nonsense.

CNBC. "On" at 5:30 AM and in the background all day till market close.
Kelly Evans is smart as a whip and better looking than Maria.
Miss Larry Kudlow.

CNBC and NPR, but prefer Bloomberg to either. CNBC now produces the Nightly Business Report or PBR, so I hope NPR will remain independent. The Planet Money Series is good.

We all know that professional investors cannot beat the market, even with all this "information" like we see on CNBC, NPR, and more. We know watching this stuff will add nothing to our bottom line or our well being, but a lot to our anxiety. But we watch anyway, myself included.

Now for my first year in retirement I have made a promise to myself to stop watching this c*ap as much as possible. I am going to devote more of myself to discovering what "real" life is. I have had enough of all this other nonsense.

I think some investors can beat the market, not consistently or every year but in the long run. However, I do not think it comes from following the news day to day, but by formulating a long-term strategy after their better prognostication, even if the latter is based on the same news that everybody is seeing.

I am not all tuned out of the news though. I do get headlines from the Web, particularly Bloomberg, and may read some linked articles if they appear interesting. But as I do not day trade, most of the daily news is not actionable for me.

Last edited:
CNBC or NPR?

For me, neither.

Same here, other than watching "American Greed" and "60 Minutes on CNBC" once in a while (which is not the point of this thread). The last time I listened to NPR was more than 5 years ago when I was working and my coworker/friend would drive us to place to eat for lunch and he had it on his car radio. I would not know where to find it on my own car radio, and I prefer pop music and a 24-hour local news station anyway.

CNBC. "On" at 5:30 AM and in the background all day till market close.
Kelly Evans is smart as a whip and better looking than Maria.
Miss Larry Kudlow.

I go with Netflix until market close.

NPR for me. Never watch cable news if I can help it.

Can't stand FBN. Seemingly, they turn every financial news into political ones (Dem, Obama beating). They should leave politics to Fox News and focus on finance news.

Marketplace is really stories about business, not really something that claims to prognosticate the future, like FBN or CNBC. And a person really has to listen or read a variety of news stories if they want to attempt to 'connect the dots' for themselves.

The people on FBN and CNBC remind be of an old quote about being cool from the 1970's 'you're not cool if you think your are"

I find virtually nothing enlightening about the constant babbling on CNBC, FBN, etc.

Give me NPR, Marketplace (which is actually not NPR but is American Public Media/APM), or Nightly Business Report for stories with substance to understand what's really going on.

For me, Marketplace is much better when there is a sub for Kai Ryssdal. He's got a sort of "attitude" I find really annoying.

I am sad to say that most of our (US) news outlets have become info entertainment and there are few signs of true journalism (as defined in dictionary). I tend to watch/listen to NPR, BBC, Pete Dominick and Michael Smerconish.

I have never listened to Marketplace, nor known where NPR is on the radio dial (wait, I do not even have a radio handy), but from the descriptions above, it's not a bad show.

Still, I can read an article and get the same info in much less time than what it takes to listen to a talk show. So, surfing the Web for info is my preferred way of getting the news, financial or otherwise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom