Consulting after Retirement (fun with names)

stepford

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As I circle the drain ever closer to FIREday at the end of the year I've had a couple of requests to consult during my afterlife. If I do so I guess I'll need to come up with a name for my (1-man) laser sciences consulting corporation. My current favorites:

LOGOS
(sounds all serious/philosophical, until I reveal it stands for Lazy Old Guy Optical Services)

or even better:

Principle of Least Action
(Physicists will think it means I'm a serious Quantum Mechanic, but friends will realize it refers to my work ethic)

I could come up with lots more, but I've probably killed all potential business already.

If you are forming a Corp this doesn't apply, but if you are just consulting as a proprietorship, it's easier to just use your own name. Otherwise, you usually need to get a DBA and setup bank accounts using that, etc.

I consulted for an old boss just as a sole proprietor using my own name. That's the easiest way to go. You can get an EIN from the IRS and set up an Individual 401k, but that was pretty simple.

I did some optics consulting earlier this year and just did it under my own name as a sole proprietor. Forget the company names, just consult under your own name and it keeps the taxes simple.

If you do choose a DBA, it is not a good idea to have a flippant name.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

If I do so I guess I'll need to come up with a name for my (1-man) laser sciences consulting corporation. My current favorites:

LOGOS
(sounds all serious/philosophical, until I reveal it stands for Lazy Old Guy Optical Services)

or even better:

Principle of Least Action
(Physicists will think it means I'm a serious Quantum Mechanic, but friends will realize it refers to my work ethic)

I could come up with lots more, but I've probably killed all potential business already.

Diffraction Limited is taken.

forget the name... watch out for violation of employment contracts or using information/techniques from prior employment. Those previous "works for hire" might not be usable in consulting.

OOPS

Optimal Optical Professional Services.

OCULAR

Optical Consulting Utilizing Ludicrously Ample Remuneration.

-ERD50

Jesus found me when I retired. He suggested First Universal Church of Knowledge but it's ok to use the initials.

Back
Top Bottom