Costco AMEX Replacement Card

Fascinating - I just got this in an mail (it's not spam, the links are all back to ancestry.com). :

Ancestry wants to make sure you are aware of Costco's partnership shift from American Express to Visa.

Our records indicate that your Ancestry account has an American Express card on file that may be impacted by the change. If you have the American Express Costco Co-brand Card on your Ancestry account, it will not work after June 20, 2016. Please update your Ancestry account with a new credit card immediately to ensure continued service.

Apparently there are a lot of us out here who are about to switch cards...

I received mine just before Memorial day and DS got his on Monday this week. Same last name and his was sent to our address. Not sure the order they are being printed and mailed :confused:

I did see that they are mailing the cards up to the 17th of the month and Costco says the members WILL have them by the 20th. I guess that will be via speedy delivery since the 17th is a Friday and Monday is the 20th :D

I received mine just before Memorial day and DS got his on Monday this week. Same last name and his was sent to our address. Not sure the order they are being printed and mailed :confused:

I did see that they are mailing the cards up to the 17th of the month and Costco says the members WILL have them by the 20th. I guess that will be via speedy delivery since the 17th is a Friday and Monday is the 20th :D

I still haven't received mine. I was wondering if the cards are mailed out in the order that people "joined". I've only had mine for 1 1/2 years. So, my thinking is, people that had the Costco/Amex card longer got theirs first. Did those of you that received them have the cards for a long time?

OK - good to know. Yep - still don't have ours, and it's the 10th. But sounds like we should week or a couple of days later.

I still haven't received mine. I was wondering if the cards are mailed out in the order that people "joined". I've only had mine for 1 1/2 years. So, my thinking is, people that had the Costco/Amex card longer got theirs first. Did those of you that received them have the cards for a long time?

We've had our card at least 3 years if not 4 - probably 4.

I thought no it's some other random order. It's not geographic since my two neighbors got things at different times from me.

I've been a Costco card holder for 16 years, pretty much since they started with AMEX. My son is on one of my memberships, but I didn't add him till he was 18 since he couldn't have a membership until then, so me 16 years, him about 8 years. So maybe it is length of membership? Since I got mine just over a week before he got his.

I just activated my card on the Citi website and found a statement that said any remaining balance on the Amex after June 19th would be transferred to the new Costco Visa. This was news to me, I thought I needed to pay off the Amex by the 19th and the start using the new Visa.

I'm taking a day trip on the 19th and usually fill up my gas tank in the morning as I leave and in the evening when I return. I thought I would need to use a different card, so am happy that the Costco Amex can be used that day.

Have you called?

No, because they are still mailing cards out until June 17.

I got the credit card agreement from Citi, so I know I'm on the list. The credit card agreement letter got to me much later than my neighbors.

I have other cards I can use at Costco, but if I don't get my card by the 19th, I'll definitely be stopping by that booth and letting them know!!!

BTW - I just found out that my BankAmericard Cash Rewards now does 2% at wholesale clubs. It's 2.2% for me because I get a 10% bonus for redeeming into my checking. Limit $2500 - and we spend more at Costco annually than that.

Last edited:
We will be traveling on the 19th-20th so asked a Costco manager which to use when. She said that the Costco Amex card expires at midnight on the 19th, use the new card thereafter. She said not to worry about Amex card payments until the 20th, it will all transfer at midnight.

Mine showed up today. I was not able to add it to ApplePay, most likely because it's not valid for another week. But it's nice to know that it did show up prior to the 20th.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Got my card today. Turned out to be my brand-new Amazon card. One small step for a man...

My Costco card suddenly showed up in the mail yesterday. No warning, but no complaints either. By the way does anyone know if I can add an adult son to the Costco membership and get him a card too?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My Costco card suddenly showed up in the mail yesterday. No warning, but no complaints either.

What do you mean no warning? Didn't you get the prior several communications that told you to expect it?

According to Costcos site
household card is available to any cardholder's spouse, domestic partner or any immediate family member over the age of 18 and living at the same address.

You get one additional card. Sounds like quite a few people share a membership with a parent even though they don't live at the same address, so Costco must not enforce the address thing carefully. Seems like it could get messy with a shared credit card though. Both members are going to be on the same credit card.

My Costco card suddenly showed up in the mail yesterday. No warning, but no complaints either. By the way does anyone know if I can add an adult son to the Costco membership and get him a card too?
Our second Costco membership card has been used by one daughter, then another, neither of which lived nearby. Never had a problem.

I got my card today and went online for the confirming. It just seems like they are cutting it close.
We'll probably crash their site when we can finally go online to register our accounts.

I got my card today and went online for the confirming. It just seems like they are cutting it close.
We'll probably crash their site when we can finally go online to register our accounts.
We got our cards a while ago, but we set them aside to activate Jun 20 - that's how we interpreted the instructions.

I was at Costco today, and a rep (Costco or Citi?) was meeting people at the door asking if they'd received their new cards. I said yes, but we were holding them until Jun 20. She said 'the letter wasn't worded well, and we'd like you to activate your card ASAP. You can't use it until Jun 20, but you can activate as soon as you get it.'

Sounds like they're trying to avoid an activation "crash" and too many new cardholders were/are waiting like we were.

So we activated this morning, though we couldn't set up autopay or other account features (yet)...

There's little you can do with the new cards but activate them. We've had our cards for 2-3 weeks. We've also had a Costco membership since before we were married. I called them a week ago, because DW's card came with her maiden name. They told me to call back after the 20th. They can't do anything before then.

I probably shouldn't tell DW. She might decide to keep it. :)

We have 2 cards, one for me and another for DW. I would like to get a third for DS. Haven't figured that out yet. I think they will want $100 for this and I would be willing to pay that if I must, just can't find the verbiage on their website on how to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We got our cards a while ago, but we set them aside to activate Jun 20 - that's how we interpreted the instructions.

I was at Costco today, and a rep (Costco or Citi?) was meeting people at the door asking if they'd received their new cards. I said yes, but we were holding them until Jun 20. She said 'the letter wasn't worded well, and we'd like you to activate your card ASAP. You can't use it until Jun 20, but you can activate as soon as you get it.'

Sounds like they're trying to avoid an activation "crash" and too many new cardholders were/are waiting like we were.

So we activated this morning, though we couldn't set up autopay or other account features (yet)...

The letter that came with my card said to "Go to citi.com/CostcoSetup to confirm receipt of this card" I had to enter some info so they would know it was me. After entering that info, it said the card was ready to use on June 20th. You have to go online on or after June 20th to register/login to change anything on your account, like mobile apps, banking info. Don't remember the exact wording on the web site. I thought the letter with the card was worded well, It says "Follow these important steps" "1. Go to citi.com..."

Regarding adding someone to your account, I wanted to add my sister but they said she had to have the same address as me.

My card has been 'active' for a few weeks. What a pain! The little CC keeps jumping up and down every time I pass Costco saying "I do it! Use Me! Me Too!" I keep stuffing him back into my wallet but he leaps out again and again. I fear the little CC may get violent if he finds out he's not on Apple Pay.

Back
Top Bottom