Costco AMEX Replacement Card

Got it today in MI. Tried to confirm on web and it didn't like my input. Tried to call but hung up after 5 minutes of waiting.

Got it today - southern CA.

They give you the option to receive other offers from Citi - I declined. In the FAQ it said they did not pull credit reports - just transferred the account. It also punts on the "what is my interest rate" - which indicates that transfers with the account (and is based on credit score). No matter for me- this will be my go to card for Costco and auto fuel... and will be paid in full every month.

Northern Calif-just got ours today. It looks like we should use the new Costco VISA for everything except. groceries. For that, we'll use the AMEX Blue Cash everyday card (up to 6000.00 is 3% back on groceries) I didn't see anything on the Citi VISA for that high on groceries. Am I missing anything?

Has anyone tried using the new cards yet? We haven't got ours yet, but I'm curious if the June date is really a hard date for any usage, or just marketing with Costco (since they won't take it until then).

I got the Citi mailer today. Two features that the new card does not have are the double warranty and one year loss/theft protection. ..........
And with Fidelity also dumping AmEx, I will soon be AmEx-less. That added warranty was a nice perk, though I've never used it.

And with Fidelity also dumping AmEx, I will soon be AmEx-less. That added warranty was a nice perk, though I've never used it.

Thought that was a Costco service not from AMEX. Are you talking about the extended 2 year warranty on electronics? I'm a fairly new Costco member, is this what you mean?
Costco Concierge Services

One other item, this is the first card I've had that doesn't have "raised numbers" for the account - guess I won't be using an imprint machine with it ;-)

Gosh, I was just trying to remember the last time I saw anyone use an imprint machine. I'd guess early 1980's but I really don't know.

Thought that was a Costco service not from AMEX. Are you talking about the extended 2 year warranty on electronics? I'm a fairly new Costco member, is this what you mean?
Costco Concierge Services
What I meant was that AmEx extends your warranty on anything you buy with the card up to an extra year, independent of Costco.

Doesn't VISA also offer an additional year of warranty? I believe this is a function of a VISA Signature card.
http://blog.credit.com/2011/12/how-extended-warranties-work-on-credit-cards-49431/
http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/compare-extended_warranties-1273.php

With my Costco AMEX going away, I recently decided to get the AMEX Blue preferred cash card. The clincher was a 10% rebate on all wireless telecom company charges, including new equipment, through the end of 2016, limit $200 in rewards. So I got 10% back on my new iPhone, and we're paying all our wireless bills through Dec. I will probably even prepay where I can.

That and the 6% back on groceries at major supermarket chains, and 3% at major department stores.

Last edited:
Thought I would have received the Citi replacement card by now. Nothing, yet.

We received ours.

We normally pay off the last statement balance plus most of the charges made during the month following, prior to the payment due date. I think this time, we'll only pay the last statement balance. I have visions of AMEX sending all the charge transactions for the next statement period to Citi, but not sending payment info. It would be difficult to prove you paid extra since we'll lose access to AMEX after June 19th.

We normally pay off the last statement balance plus most of the charges made during the month following, prior to the payment due date. ...........................

Is there some advantage in doing this?

Is there some advantage in doing this?

The only advantage is it keeps your % of credit card use lower. A spike up in utilization might drop your credit score a point or two. It also keeps my bank balance low. I try to make payments shortly after funds enter my account. My thoughts here are that if my bank account gets hacked, their "check" may bounce because there aren't enough funds in the account to cover it.

We have not received the new VISA card. However, we have accepted the AMEX Blue Cash card.

Received ours today w/same credit limit. Need to call AmEx to get another card as I really liked and used their car rental coverage when renting cars internationally.

Anyone figured out who/how to pay for the last AMEX statement? My payment is due 6/22. AMEX has cancelled my autopay and Citi won't allow setup to start until after 6/20. The statement says to pay Citi. Citi says to pay AMEX.
The best I can figure after several rounds of talks......before 6/20 , pay AMEX
manually; 6/20 and later , pay Citi and if you pay by mail, good luck with the uncertainty of when it will arrive.

Back
Top Bottom