Could someone help explain these Mutual Fund expenses?

I have a hard time taking seriously anything that a fat guy with a diet book has to say... ;)

I'm at this time reminded of the semi funny bit about the problems with persistence. That a crack team of experts took regular and detailed examinations of president bush over the last 7.5 years. At every measure he was alive and president of the US.

They therefore surmised that he was immortal and would always be president.

Soooooooo...

Yeah, even Oprah is over Dr. Phil. But even Dr. Phil didn't apply the past performance mantra to the stock market.

We are not talking about the average mutual fund vs the index, we are speaking about a particular fund which has already proven to have beaten that same index year after year. ..

If I go to my favorite restaurant for a steak dinner every anniversary because it has always been consistently a great meal, why would I avoid next year because it may not be?
I swear, I'm trying to find some sort of relative comparisons that just might hit home with some people.
How about this one, I've been happily and faithfully married to my wife for twenty-six years now, should she now assume this is the year I start cheating on her because there's no way we can keep up this streak?

LOL at the analogies, and I think there is some truth to what you say.

I am not a fan of the efficient market theory, best case markets are weakly efficient. But when the value of company changes by 10% over night when the company missed earning estimates by a penny, or the value of 50 year old companies goes down 50% for the first 6 months and then triples over the rest of year, I can't believe the market is particularly rational.

I think investing in general and stock picking in particular is a skill and some people are much better than other. I think that skill extends to people not named Buffett, Lynch, or Bill Gross. Some of these people (or computer programs) work for mutual funds. So I think is possible for some money managers to beat the market over long periods (i.e. achieve Alpha) even counting the additional expenses associated with trading.

The problem for me is I think the structure of mutual funds make them a lousy way to try and achieve over average returns.

First of all while I think stock picking is a skill and over the long-term good stock pickers will make more money than bad ones. Luck plays a huge factor, or timing is everything. You can do the most sophisticated fundamental analysis or sharpest technical analysis but if a hurricane hits or the price corn takes off the guy who had a gut feel to do the opposite looks like the genius. So the first hurdle is establishing a track record where you can be reasonable sure that a money manager success is based on skill and not on luck. It seems to me 5 years is minimum and 10 years is prefered (to see a bull and bear market.) to figure this out.

After 10 years the secret is out and lots of money will be rushing to the fund. So if even the manager is really skilled it is harder to beat the market running a 15 billion fund than a $1 billion. This is my biggest problem with most of the American fund family and to some extent DFA.

The biggest issue to me is that the real competitive advantage/secret sauce to a mutual fund is the people and/or computer program and I as outside investor have little insight. Sure we know the name of the fund manager and his/her tenure, but maybe that isn't why the fund did well over the last 5 years. Maybe the real alpha of the fund consisted of two very bright recent MIT grads, who tweaked a trading program, and they've gone on to greener pasturers.

In someways, I think you have a better chance of achieving above average returns by finding a great broker and letting him buy individual stocks. Over course you also have a excellent chance of losing your shirt with this approach.

To go back to the anniversary steak analogy, let me ask Art the opposite question, if you went back one year and the steak was horrible would you still go back the next year? how many years of bad steak would it take before you determined that you'd need to find a new steakhouse?

Several years ago a 3 gay friends of mine opened a Thai/Pacific restaurant.
The food was fantastic and it opened to rave reviews and quickly became the It spot, complete with multi page newspaper and magazine articles. This lasted for about year or so , then the gay couple broke up, and this hurt the service. Next the Parisian trained terrific chef started drinking, and finally he died in a tragic accident. Outwordly the place remains the same, same charming host, menu, decor. But now it is just an average Thai restaurant on the expensive side. After 1/2 dozen not great meal over 6 months, I basically stop going. But I still run into out of town people who come to Hawaii two to three times a year, they remember its terrific past performance, and still go hoping for an awesome meal. I wonder at one point will the figure out that they didn't go there on a off night.

It seems to me that active mutual funds are pretty similar. It takes time to figure out ones are really good and not just lucky, but it is even harder to figure out when they stop being special..

I am not a fan of the efficient market theory, best case markets are weakly efficient. But when the value of company changes by 10% over night when the company missed earning estimates by a penny, or the value of 50 year old companies goes down 50% for the first 6 months and then triples over the rest of year, I can't believe the market is particularly rational.

I think investing in general and stock picking in particular is a skill and some people are much better than other. I think that skill extends to people not named Buffett, Lynch, or Bill Gross. Some of these people (or computer programs) work for mutual funds. So I think is possible for some money managers to beat the market over long periods (i.e. achieve Alpha) even counting the additional expenses associated with trading.

The problem for me is I think the structure of mutual funds make them a lousy way to try and achieve over average returns.

First of all while I think stock picking is a skill and over the long-term good stock pickers will make more money than bad ones. Luck plays a huge factor, or timing is everything. You can do the most sophisticated fundamental analysis or sharpest technical analysis but if a hurricane hits or the price corn takes off the guy who had a gut feel to do the opposite looks like the genius. So the first hurdle is establishing a track record where you can be reasonable sure that a money manager success is based on skill and not on luck. It seems to me 5 years is minimum and 10 years is prefered (to see a bull and bear market.) to figure this out.

After 10 years the secret is out and lots of money will be rushing to the fund. So if even the manager is really skilled it is harder to beat the market running a 15 billion fund than a $1 billion. This is my biggest problem with most of the American fund family and to some extent DFA.

The biggest issue to me is that the real competitive advantage/secret sauce to a mutual fund is the people and/or computer program and I as outside investor have little insight. Sure we know the name of the fund manager and his/her tenure, but maybe that isn't why the fund did well over the last 5 years. Maybe the real alpha of the fund consisted of two very bright recent MIT grads, who tweaked a trading program, and they've gone on to greener pasturers.

In someways, I think you have a better chance of achieving above average returns by finding a great broker and letting him buy individual stocks. Over course you also have a excellent chance of losing your shirt with this approach.

To go back to the anniversary steak analogy, let me ask Art the opposite question, if you went back one year and the steak was horrible would you still go back the next year? how many years of bad steak would it take before you determined that you'd need to find a new steakhouse?

Several years ago a 3 gay friends of mine opened a Thai/Pacific restaurant.
The food was fantastic and it opened to rave reviews and quickly became the It spot, complete with multi page newspaper and magazine articles. This lasted for about year or so , then the gay couple broke up, and this hurt the service. Next the Parisian trained terrific chef started drinking, and finally he died in a tragic accident. Outwordly the place remains the same, same charming host, menu, decor. But now it is just an average Thai restaurant on the expensive side. After 1/2 dozen not great meal over 6 months, I basically stop going. But I still run into out of town people who come to Hawaii two to three times a year, they remember its terrific past performance, and still go hoping for an awesome meal. I wonder at one point will the figure out that they didn't go there on a off night.

It seems to me that active mutual funds are pretty similar. It takes time to figure out ones are really good and not just lucky, but it is even harder to figure out when they stop being special..

You make some great discussion points here, and I'll try to answer some of them.
First off, understand that I have lunched with many, many mutual fund managers at several mutual fund companies, and I've had the opportunity to grill some of these guys on their strategies and stock picking methods. I've met some who were very cocky, and ultimately run out of the business, and some who spoke so far over my head that I just took their word for it that their strategy made sense. However, I've never met with another fund company like American Funds, when it comes to their stock selection methods. Unlike Fidelity who hires bright young kids out of college with little experience, American Funds managers have an average time on job of 23 years. These people are some of the most boring and down to earth you will ever meet, and you'd never suspect these people of being worth millions. To answer your question of how they handle taking in additional billiions is simple, they don't. American Funds does not have any single manager funds. They are totally a team effort and what happens is, if necessary, one of their analysts will get the opportunity to become a manager, and HE or SHE will take on the money as if it is their own separate account. Each works independently, however, when the time comes to sell a fund, it is first offered to all other managers if they'd like to add to their position.
The selection method of picking stocks is unlike any other I've ever seen. Before buying ANY stock, they go to that company directly and spend three weeks at their HQ going through the books, and observing day to day operations. So, they're not reading charts or studying fundamentals from afar. IF they buy a stock, it's with the commitment to hold it for at least one year, and if they wish to sell early, they must present the reason. I swear, it's the closest thing you'll ever see to a true communism type environment, as everyone seems to be working toward a greater good.
To get employed with the company, it takes an average of 12 interviews and even the lower level internal wholesalers are graduates of Ivy League schools. I had lunch with one girl, who was a graduate from Dartmouth and I asked her why in the world she'd want to take such a lowly job considering her degree. She told me she had this same discussion with her father, but if you get in with this company, the opportunities to a secure retirement are incredible, and each employee seems to grasp this.
It's probably one of the greatest companies no one knows about (the other is Lincoln Electric).
Anyway, not to be a commercial for them, but I also at one time was a non-believer. However, while they may not over-perform during the wild market swings, they hold up incredibly well during the market tanks, and historically, this is where the difference is made.

As to your restaurant question, IF I only go to this restaurant once a year, then after one bad meal, (I may make the manager aware and see how he handles the situation), or in the following year I will probably discuss with my spousal as to whether she'd rather try a different restaurant or give the fave another chance. If I were a regular, and quality had dropped off, I would scratch it off my list.
BTW, how is The Willows these days? Still consistently good?

I agree, but the key word is SOME managers, not the majority........:)

The inherent beauty of the index model is to "but the whole darn market", which in effect "covers the bases". An index manager is always 100% invested in the market, come heck or high water. However, in a bear market, they have no place to hide..........

I have had those concerns with American Funds for several years. However, they seem to be weathering it better than other fund families. They have been criticized for NOT closing their funds, but they believe their process of having large management teams, along with holding stocks for LONG periods of time and low expenses helps them. However, their betas are low and you don't see plummeting downsides like you do in other funds in a bear market. Also, they were about 20% in cash in 2000-2002, which they were widely criticized for. However, I had not ONE complaint from anyone about that........;)

I think alpha is tough to find. Some of the "alpha" of Peter Lynch was stock purchases based on hanging out at shopping malls and noticing traffic patterns of where women shopped. Hard to put that into an algorithim............:D

That may have been the case before the Internet and broadband became vogue, but today there's a LOT of tools that the average investor has access to levels the playing field substantially.......:)

You've hit it on the head. I think it's about expectations. For instance, all of my and DW's IRA monies are in American Funds. In a bull market, a Vanguard Index fund may very well beat my return, as a matter of fact they probably will. In a bear market, my American Funds do better than probably 80% of all funds, because of their conservative management. Overall, those portfolios have a beta of .78, versus a market beta of 1.0.

I KNOW I am giving up some return, but I am content with that. In our taxable accounts, I own individual stocks and ETFs, and that's where I take risk. If our qualified monies just chug along at 7% or so, we'll have WAY more money that we need in retirement.

I submit my way of doing things probably sounds idiotic to the intelligent folks on here, but the bottom line is AF has made me a TON of money in the past 9 years, and I don't sweat a goofy market because I am confident they know what they are doing............;)

This is a pointless argument. Art and others simply haven't reviewed the data that points overwhelmingly to the advantage of indexes. You cannot have this conversation with them - I've tried several times.

what I think is continually getting lost in the discussion. We are not talking about the average mutual fund vs the index, we are speaking about a particular fund which has already proven to have beaten that same index year after year. Hence, we are not picking lottery numbers for a one time hit, nor are we trying to pick that needle out of a haystack, we are doing exactly what you are asking for....using historical facts and basis to pick those funds that HAVE outperformed on numerous occasions.

What you continually FAIL to understand is that performance does NOT persist. You cannot look at a 1,5,10 year record and be assured that it is a good fund. The history book is littered with fallen superstars (latest being Bill Miller). So in many ways, you are indeed looking for that proverbial needle in a haystack, and the odds are dramatically stacked against you.

If you're going to state your reason for buying the index, that the index has outperformed most funds over time, then why in the world wouldn't you use that same reason for selecting those funds that haven't?

You have it precisely backwards. Most funds have underperformed the index, not the other way around (index outperforms most funds). Subtle but important distinction.

Whatever, it's your returns. I just hate to see a whole group of people gathering false information from someone so closed minded.

Of everything you say, this is the one statement that gets me upset. I don't have to be open minded - I was at one point and through reason and logic have determined that active investing is a losers game. When you call us out in that manner, it leads (a whole group of) uninformed investors to think that they can 'beat the market' and that leads them to make poor decisions such as:
-market timing
-manager selection
-choosing funds based on past returns
-choosing funds based on m* rankings

How many more academic studies need there be to show you that you have much better odds betting on the outcome of a coin flipping game than picking an active fund to 'beat the market'?

To continue to promote such wrongheaded ideas in the face of massive evidence to the contrary just amazes me.

The inherent beauty of the index model is to "but the whole darn market", which in effect "covers the bases". An index manager is always 100% invested in the market, come heck or high water. However, in a bear market, they have no place to hide..........
The fundamental difference between your approach and mine is that I focus on asset allocation to determine my risk level whereas you rely on the ever-shifting whims of a fund manager (market timing).

In other words, you have no control over your AA where I have precise control.

To have a meaningful comparison of stats such as beta, we need to do it across a whole portfolio - not at an individual fund level. The beta of your fund at 0.78 is a meaningless number because your fund holds 20% cash - of course it should have less beta. You can easily do that yourself by holding 80% eq and 20% cash, at MUCH lower cost. This is not rocket science.

The name of the game for me is getting the highest return (compound annual growth rate) for each unit of risk I engage in.. and there is no better way to do that (bar none) than a carefully selected portfolio of low-cost index funds.

For what its worth, I don't consider your approach 'idiotic' - selling AF is your bread and butter and to some extend you need to 'eat your own cooking'. I just think that your method of moderating your risk exposure is not cost-efficient.

Last edited:
The name of the game for me is getting the highest return (compound annual growth rate) for each unit of risk I engage in.. and there is no better way to do that (bar none) than a carefully selected portfolio of low-cost index funds.

Hmmmmmm....... by picking a portfolio of index funds and varying the composition of the fund over time instead of just going with VTI, aren't you doing the same thing as ArtG and FD? Trying to outguess the market and focus in specific areas? (Talking domestic only here.)

The fundamental difference between your approach and mine is that I focus on asset allocation to determine my risk level whereas you rely on the ever-shifting whims of a fund manager (market timing).

It's obvious you didn't read my post completely.......:rolleyes: In our taxable accounts, I have complete asset allocation............

And I have made the decision to let the fund managers to control the risk in our QUALIFIED accounts. If the manager chooses to go to cash in a bad market, my risk is lowered. If the managers have 0 cash in a good market, I have no problem with that. If you have a problem with that, well, that's your problem........:D

To have a meaningful comparison of stats such as beta, we need to do it across a whole portfolio - not at an individual fund level. The beta of your fund at 0.78 is a meaningless number because your fund holds 20% cash - of course it should have less beta. You can easily do that yourself by holding 80% eq and 20% cash, at MUCH lower cost. This is not rocket science.

Again, you did not read my post. I said the beta of my PORTFOLIO was .78, NOT an individual fund.........:rolleyes: Also, currently my AF are NOT 20% in cash, but they were from 2001-2002 ..........;)

For what its worth, I don't consider your approach 'idiotic' - selling AF is your bread and butter and to some extend you need to 'eat your own cooking'. I just think that your method of moderating your risk exposure is not cost-efficient.

I don't need to sell any AF. I manage accounts using options, ETF's, and individual stocks and bonds. I have very little mutual fund business at all. I am positive I am taking more risk in my taxable accounts than you are, but that's my business, and where I am going to get alpha.

Much as you decided to buy an asset allocation of index funds, I decided to put my money in non-index funds. As long as my methodology meets my expectations, I have no plans to change it.

I guess I don't fit the bill of the "normal" FA stereotype as folks on here perceive. I'm NOT the guy promising to "beat the index", and never have. Yet, my business continues to grow........:D

Hmmmmmm....... by picking a portfolio of index funds and varying the composition of the fund over time instead of just going with VTI, aren't you doing the same thing as ArtG and FD? Trying to outguess the market and focus in specific areas? (Talking domestic only here.)

Don't ask questions like that, we all know Innova is smarter than any of us on here...........;)

This is a pointless argument. Art and others simply haven't reviewed the data that points overwhelmingly to the advantage of indexes. You cannot have this conversation with them - I've tried several times.

What you continually FAIL to understand is that performance does NOT persist. You cannot look at a 1,5,10 year record and be assured that it is a good fund. The history book is littered with fallen superstars (latest being Bill Miller). So in many ways, you are indeed looking for that proverbial needle in a haystack, and the odds are dramatically stacked against you.

You have it precisely backwards. Most funds have underperformed the index, not the other way around (index outperforms most funds). Subtle but important distinction.

Of everything you say, this is the one statement that gets me upset. I don't have to be open minded - I was at one point and through reason and logic have determined that active investing is a losers game. When you call us out in that manner, it leads (a whole group of) uninformed investors to think that they can 'beat the market' and that leads them to make poor decisions such as:
-market timing
-manager selection
-choosing funds based on past returns
-choosing funds based on m* rankings

How many more academic studies need there be to show you that you have much better odds betting on the outcome of a coin flipping game than picking an active fund to 'beat the market'?

To continue to promote such wrongheaded ideas in the face of massive evidence to the contrary just amazes me.

WOW! I don't know where to start here. How about with these two sentences....

If you're going to state your reason for buying the index, that the index has outperformed most funds over time,

and this...

Uhhhh, isn't that exactly what I said? I say the index is overperformed and you say the funds have underperformed. It must be subtle because I don't get it.

Anyway, you talk about finding that needle in a haystack and how difficult it is, but that doesn't mean the needle isn't there, does it?
So, if the needle is indeed American Funds, then can't you still be stuck by it? If I were to hand you that needle and tell you to be careful it's sharp, are you going to stick it into your hand saying, "bahhhh, you couldn't possibly have found this".
I'm curious, but how many years of negative returns from the S&P would it take before you'd say, "hmmmmm, maybe I should be invested elsewhere"?
It seems so odd, but a bad year in an index fund doesn't bother you at all because it's an index? However, a bad year from a different fund drives you mad. If a 1,3,5,10,20, inception of the fund returns doesn't get your attention, then it seems to be clear cut proof that you don't want success. It's crazy to me. You have just stated conclusively that you would rather pay less for mediocrity than pay a bit more for more money in your pocket.

by picking a portfolio of index funds and varying the composition of the fund over time instead of just going with VTI, aren't you doing the same thing as ArtG and FD? Trying to outguess the market and focus in specific areas? (Talking domestic only here.)

No. Choosing what asset classes to invest in is not the same as choosing a fund based on past performance.

If one were to strictly follow capital markets asset allocation, your equities would be 55% foreign and 45% US. There are many valid reasons for tilting away from that, not the least of which involves the fact that I'll be spending USD and not foreign currency. Thus, I choose a 60 US / 40 Foreign allocation.

There are similar reasons for tilting to small, value, and REIT that do not involve market timing, manager selection, or morningstar ratings.

My point there is that once I decide I want 60/40, using index funds ensures I get exactly that. If I buy an active US fund for my 60% slice, I may find that the manager in his infinite wisdom decides to invest 20% in foreign equities and 10% in cash and still call his fund 'US large company fund'. At that point I've lost control of my asset allocation, and as we should all be aware, over 90% of portfolio returns is driven by the choice of asset allocation.

Art, just curious, why do you care so much about whether we like index funds or managed funds? Good for you being so successful in choosing whatever you have your money, in all seriousness. And good for me and others who are comfortable in what we have our money in.

WOW again!
First off, you have precise control?? Really did they ask you about adding AVB or GOOG to the S&P 500? Did you give them the OK to remove MOT? What control do you have over any mutual fund? At least with a managed fund you get to pick the manager.
And you say getting the highest returns is the name of the game, but when we show you that your method DIDN'T get the highest returns, you just give a big ol' HRRMMMPPHHH?
It seems the name of your game is spend the least money possible and the heck with returns.

I guess I don't fit the bill of the "normal" FA stereotype as folks on here perceive.

Nope, I see very little tar and only a few feathers ;)

I think this is another one of those discussions that will never be dominated by data and minds wont ever be changed. Where I think concern is generated is where the participants feel there is a large body of uneducated lurkers reading the thread who may be swayed to the dark side. And both sets of participants think the other side is the dark side.

You either think you can beat the system or you dont. A large portion of that decision rests on your level of predictive belief in a handful of economic and psychological trends.

Some people seem to think they can be successful with this or just feel better with someones hand on the wheel and making direct decisions. Some people seem to think they can be successful by making few changes and decisions and just letting things take their course.

The data seems to suggest that the latter course, over time, risk and expense adjusted, has a more likely chance of success on average than the former.

But there are those outliers, and there are the out and out liars. Those bug the heck out of people who just feel like theres some way to out-do the herd and they really want to be on that horse. Plus that passive investing is so dang boring.

Carry on...

Art, just curious, why do you care so much about whether we like index funds or managed funds? Good for you being so successful in choosing whatever you have your money, in all seriousness. And good for me and others who are comfortable in what we have our money in.

Well, as I explained earlier, it bothers me when someone posts something as fact, and others blindly accept it as value. Couldn't I ask the same question as to why those arguing with me care that I like American funds? It takes two different sides to have a debate. Just because you disagree with my side, doesn't mean I'm arguing any differently.
I read on another thread that one poster is going to wait until another poster gives them the signal that they should dump their stock. What I find interesting is that this same person will proudly exclaim that they have no need for professional assistance, and yet they're using free advice offered by someone they've never met?
I've read a lot of useful information on this site and believe me I appreciate all opinions, even if I don't agree with them, but some of the logic used on here just befuddles me at times, and arguing factual evidence in the face is one of those times. JMO

I'm curious, but how many years of negative returns from the S&P would it take before you'd say, "hmmmmm, maybe I should be invested elsewhere"?
It seems so odd, but a bad year in an index fund doesn't bother you at all because it's an index? However, a bad year from a different fund drives you mad. If a 1,3,5,10,20, inception of the fund returns doesn't get your attention, then it seems to be clear cut proof that you don't want success. It's crazy to me. You have just stated conclusively that you would rather pay less for mediocrity than pay a bit more for more money in your pocket.

You are clearly suffering from the 'Protestant work ethic'. You believe that by working harder, you can pick managers / stocks/ funds / whatever that will outperform a simple index.

Let me pose a question. How many large-cap funds will deliver good returns when the S&P is negative? Do you not understand the the s&p is a proxy for the US large market as a whole? In any given year, we expect that 50-60% of funds will beat the S&P. That goes down over time in a fashion quite similar to how the outcome of a coin-flipping contest would go. Performance does not persist. The odds of the S&P500 being negative several years running while active funds invested in the SAME category of stocks offering nice returns is essentially nil.

The other comparison we need to make is your fund should not be compared to the S&P 500 (which I don't even hold, BTW), but rather a proper basket of US stocks including large cap, small cap, reit, etc. Need to consider the portfolio as a whole.

You cannot buy better returns, and you cannot identify winners in advance. Again - some reading of the academic research would almost certainly give you better long-term investing results.

Well, as I explained earlier, it bothers me when someone posts something as fact, and others blindly accept it as value. Couldn't I ask the same question as to why those arguing with me care that I like American funds? It takes two different sides to have a debate. Just because you disagree with my side, doesn't mean I'm arguing any differently.
I read on another thread that one poster is going to wait until another poster gives them the signal that they should dump their stock. What I find interesting is that this same person will proudly exclaim that they have no need for professional assistance, and yet they're using free advice offered by someone they've never met?
I've read a lot of useful information on this site and believe me I appreciate all opinions, even if I don't agree with them, but some of the logic used on here just befuddles me at times, and arguing factual evidence in the face is one of those times. JMO

Fair enough. As someone who doesn't know her beta from a hole in the ground (yet still more financially savvy no doubt than 90 percent of my peers), this argument is just fascinating to me.

But I think the person who said they would dump their stock when someone else gave them the signal was probably kidding :) -- and interestingly enough that stock probably wasn't in an index fund?

You are clearly suffering from the 'Protestant work ethic'. You believe that by working harder, you can pick managers / stocks/ funds / whatever that will outperform a simple index.

Let me pose a question. How many large-cap funds will deliver good returns when the S&P is negative? Do you not understand the the s&p is a proxy for the US large market as a whole? In any given year, we expect that 50-60% of funds will beat the S&P. That goes down over time in a fashion quite similar to how the outcome of a coin-flipping contest would go. Performance does not persist. The odds of the S&P500 being negative several years running while active funds invested in the SAME category of stocks offering nice returns is essentially nil.

The other comparison we need to make is your fund should not be compared to the S&P 500 (which I don't even hold, BTW), but rather a proper basket of US stocks including large cap, small cap, reit, etc. Need to consider the portfolio as a whole.

You cannot buy better returns, and you cannot identify winners in advance. Again - some reading of the academic research would almost certainly give you better long-term investing results.

Well I wrote out a long answer, but what the heck. It doesn't matter how many times or how many ways I point out we're discussing apples and oranges. Nevermind.

First off, you have precise control?? Really did they ask you about adding AVB or GOOG to the S&P 500? Did you give them the OK to remove MOT? What control do you have over any mutual fund? At least with a managed fund you get to pick the manager.
LOL. When I make a decision to have part of my portfolio invested in large-cap US stocks, the index will precisely stick to my objective. If GOOG meets criteria for large-cap US stock, its added. Remember - returns are driven largely (>90%) by choice of ASSET ALLOCATION, not individual security picking. Reason I index is because that is the most reliable way over the long-term to achieve the highest returns.

But there are those outliers, and there are the out and out liars. Those bug the heck out of people who just feel like theres some way to out-do the herd and they really want to be on that horse. Plus that passive investing is so dang boring.
Good point. It used to bug the heck out of me that no matter how sophisticated the analysis some REALLY smart people do, there is no way to earn excess returns. It seems that if you work hard you should get the outcome you seek, but financial markets simply do not work that way. I know that to some here, it looks like I've thrown in the towel with regard to seeking higher returns... but the data has come down strongly on the side of passive investing and no matter what I think or feel that won't change that.

Gambling and speculation are exciting. Investing shouldn't be.

BTW Art - don't take it personally - this has nothing to do with us as people, its strictly about investing philosophy and the pursuit of debate. If this thread has served the purpose of getting people to think more about why they are invested in the funds they've chosen then we both had an impact.

Other thing is - no matter who is right/wrong, we're probably not talking about huge orders of magnitude as to where we'll end up (many roads to Dublin).

innova.....Check out INTC and MSFT on 11/1/99, the day they were both added to the DOW 30. What have these stocks done since being added.
Using the criteria that, I guess they deserve to be added so I should own them in my portfolio seems like a really whacky reason to own stocks. JMO

It is unfortunate, no doubt about it. There is a fair amount of research in the index circles right now about whether or not cap-weighting is the best method of indexing - some are arguing for equal-weighting instead, but thats really a whole other topic. There were certainly a lot of tech companies entering the S&P that year whose market caps would later prove to be substantially less.

How many people in 99 could predict the return to an investor those stocks offered from 99-08 though? To be fair, there were probably a fair number of active funds buying them up at the time as well. It was the 'new economy' after all - nobody wanted to miss out.

Back
Top Bottom