Credit card suggestion

Discover isn't an option because I need universal acceptence -so mastercard or visa works. Already have an amex so amex is out of the question!

Interesting thread still though...

I haven't found most rewards to be equivalent to cash...anyone know of a case where points better cash?

For example, my oooold amex gold card - i had points built up from 5 years of similar spending to what I use now - and I cashed them in for something like 25 home depot cards - equal to about $700 - that took 5 years - the costco card gives me $400-500 cash each year...i don't need air miles or hotel, so those are pretty much not helpful to me. Only other thing I could think of would be gas rewards, but the costco card gives me 3% on gas so that is hard to beat too...

Hi!

I needed a VISA card to make purchases overseas, and one vendor in particular didn't even take Mastercard. So I signed up for a Fidelity 1.5% cash back VISA. I just got it recently, so am not sure how much hassle it will be to get cash or put it in a investment account, but it seemed like the best option for me at the time.

Discover isn't an option because I need universal acceptence -so mastercard or visa works. Already have an amex so amex is out of the question!

Interesting thread still though...

I haven't found most rewards to be equivalent to cash...anyone know of a case where points better cash?

For example, my oooold amex gold card - i had points built up from 5 years of similar spending to what I use now - and I cashed them in for something like 25 home depot cards - equal to about $700 - that took 5 years - the costco card gives me $400-500 cash each year...i don't need air miles or hotel, so those are pretty much not helpful to me. Only other thing I could think of would be gas rewards, but the costco card gives me 3% on gas so that is hard to beat too...

All of mine give cash back...

Cap One nets to 1.25% for all purchases

One chase is 5% for gas and groceries

Another chase is 3% for various select groups (but they do not change)

Discover is 5% on their specials and change and are limited big time (not used except for these items).....

Now, I have used the Discover to buy a gift card with a value of $50 for $45 on a place I use all the time... to me, this is as good as cash... but all others are cash...

I do not want to get a Fidelity etc. where they make you open up an account... I had Emigrant Direct and found out that you need an account with them to get the better rebate... used them one month... hmmmm, wonder what their rebate is now...

OK... checked and they don't seem to be rebating anything now...

Last edited:
OK. I've had the Costco amex for a couple of years. I've been using it more lately. I've never seen a rebate check. Um, duh, how you get the geetz?:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Texas Proud said:
One chase is 5% for gas and groceries

Which one is it? I see Saphire has something like this but that was just for 3 months...?

Which one is it? I see Saphire has something like this but that was just for 3 months...?

Old one they do not offer anymore.... had heard it was going to be cut like the Citi 5% card, but it never was... hope this does not jink it

OK. I've had the Costco amex for a couple of years. I've been using it more lately. I've never seen a rebate check. Um, duh, how you get the geetz?:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

OMG seriously!

They send it attached to your February statement - it's one of the papers so you should have your most recent statement now - check the stack of papers and one looks like a check - you take it to the membership counter and they cash it or they tell you to go to the regular check out cashier and they cash it for you...

OMG seriously!

They send it attached to your February statement - it's one of the papers so you should have your most recent statement now ..........

Wow, thanks for pointing this out. I have autopay and tossed my statement already. I called and they will reissue the coupon for me.

Wow, thanks for pointing this out. I have autopay and tossed my statement already. I called and they will reissue the coupon for me.

Do I get a reward!

i guess good karma will do! :angel: I've neglected my Feb statement before but never again!

I've got over $3000 in credit toward a new GM car on our GM Mastercard. We don't buy GM anymore so we haven't been using the card. I wish there was some way to transfer the credit to someone else. We used it quite a bit in the past - negotiate our best deal and then apply the credit when it came time to pay for the car.

5% rebates on ALL spending, no limits, for the first 6 months:
AARP
If there is a better card out there, let me know.

My that AARP cards is pretty nice, since it includes 0% APR for the first 12 billing cycles.

I am sticking with my Schwab 2% rebate card and the Costco AMEX card. I am expecting the Schwab card benefits to get cut soon since FIA took it over.

This Fidelity Amex looks like the best deal out there: 2%.

I hate the "changing categories", points and all the BS marketing scams.

I've had that one for about a year (based on info posted here) - and I like it.

QUESTION: Seems like the only way to get that 2% is to have an eligible Fidelity account to xfer the rewards into. That's OK, but I can't find one with a balance requirement of less than $2,000. Since I move the rewards out right away, I don't want to mess with one with cap gains, so I put it into a MM type at low interest rate of course.

So if I figure that $2,000 isn't providing me with a 4% real that I should be able to count on long term, that's like losing $80 a year (more if you include long term inflation). That effectively cuts into the actual rewards. Still a good deal for me, but I was wondering if there is a better way to deal with this.

-ERD50

I've got over $3000 in credit toward a new GM car on our GM Mastercard. We don't buy GM anymore so we haven't been using the card. I wish there was some way to transfer the credit to someone else. We used it quite a bit in the past - negotiate our best deal and then apply the credit when it came time to pay for the car.
I used my GM Mastercard bonus to buy my last new car in 1998. I had to buy a new car on short notice because the car I was driving (Chevrolet) was stolen while I was at w*#K at MegaCorp in beautiful downtown MyTown. I wanted a Saturn (which was a hot number in 1998). I discovered the GM Mastercard bonus could not be applied to the purchase of a Saturn. So, I bought a Cavalier since I could use the bonus.I'm still driving the Cavalier. It has been a great car, very reliable and economical. I also own a Buick Lesabre and a full size GMC pickup, but I won't be buying any more GM vehicles.

I used my GM Mastercard bonus to buy my last new car in 1998. I had to buy a new car on short notice because the car I was driving (Chevrolet) was stolen while I was at w*#K at MegaCorp in beautiful downtown MyTown. I wanted a Saturn (which was a hot number in 1998). I discovered the GM Mastercard bonus could not be applied to the purchase of a Saturn. So, I bought a Cavalier since I could use the bonus.I'm still driving the Cavalier. It has been a great car, very reliable and economical. I also own a Buick Lesabre and a full size GMC pickup, but I won't be buying any more GM vehicles.

I used the GM card three years ago to lease a Saturn. Had only $400 built up this time but didn't buy GM, so what to do with the $400? Not all cards are the same, but I was able to redeem mine for cash. Have to take it in $50 increments but I was not aware of this feature. Just got the check last week. Check it out.

Another question. I've noticed that a fair number of Airline credit cards are offering free checked baggage. Anyone taken advantage of this at $40 to $50 per round trip flight this could add up.

I am sticking with my Schwab 2% rebate card and the Costco AMEX card. I am expecting the Schwab card benefits to get cut soon since FIA took it over.
I'd had a FIA MasterCard for a number of years at 1.25%. When FIA came out with their Amex card at 2% it gave us an extra boost because Costco accepts Amex from other providers. We used to pay cash or check at Costco and suddenly we could start using an Amex.

So now FIA is rebating us 2% for using our Amex at Costco, which has darn near doubled our credit-card use and more than tripled our rebates.

I'd had a FIA MasterCard for a number of years at 1.25%. When FIA came out with their Amex card at 2% it gave us an extra boost because Costco accepts Amex from other providers. We used to pay cash or check at Costco and suddenly we could start using an Amex.

So now FIA is rebating us 2% for using our Amex at Costco, which has darn near doubled our credit-card use and more than tripled our rebates.

Nords, thanks for the creative thinking. My brain normally shuts down when I
hear AMEX or Discover bc many of the local places esp restaurants don't accept them. We use the Costco AMEX but never thought about other AMEX.
I assume the FIA is a flat 2% for everything like the Schwab card is?
I vaguely recall that PenFed had some kind of AMEX too.......FIA is better?

I assume the FIA is a flat 2% for everything like the Schwab card is?
I vaguely recall that PenFed had some kind of AMEX too.......FIA is better?
The only reason we even got the FIA Amex is because FIA was pushing its 2% rebate. I asked Costco about their Amex (not as good a deal), mentioned FIA's Amex, and Costco said they'd take anyone's Amex. Considering that we're at Costco weekly for pizza & fro yo, our credit card spending just about doubled on groceries & gas.

It's 2% for everything, no games or quibbles. The rebate is credited to our Fidelity account quarterly. About the only places not taking Amex around here are the state DMV, Taco Bell, and little hole-in-the-wall restaurants.

FIA did game us a little-- they gave us the Amex but the Amex's credit limit was taken out of my pre-existing FIA Mastercard's credit limit. So my FIA credit limit didn't actually rise, and my FIA credit limit (all obtained since I've retired) is substantially less than my limit on my USAA card.

I rarely use the USAA card because it has a lower rebate, but I keep it expressly for its high limit and its being a separate issuer from FIA. I take it on the road in case FIA suspends their card for a travel-related fraud alert.

I have an AMEX business card that gives 3% cash back on gas (was 5%), cell phone charges and office supplies, 1% on everything else. Would love to find a card with the 5% cash back on gas. Anyone have that card? I would like an alternate card to the AMEX card because a lot of gas stations don't accept AMEX.

Back
Top Bottom