Credit Freeze - Experian

Dog

Full time employment: Posting here.
I finally sat down and set up a credit freeze for DH and I using the Clark guide many of you recommended. The process went well for Transunion and Experian. Exquifax was a different experience. After entering all information including CC information, there was an error at the final step for processing a credit freeze for both DH and I :(

Should I be concerned? Has anyone else had this experience with Equifax? Should I try it again or send via registered mail as the second option. Are DH and I exposed if we don't have a freeze at all three agencies?

The Clark Guide said Transunion may have issues placing a freeze online, but it processed for both of use without issue.

No but I had a similar problem with transunion. Did you call the toll free number to see if it was frozen?

I did not know if mine was frozen or not when that happened to me. Just recently I unfroze all my accounts and discovered that it had been frozen. Because I couldn't unfreeze it without the code they would have sent me if the freeze process wouldn't have been fouled up. So the asked me questions before they would send a new number. except my mortgage has been sold to someone I didn't know, so I didn't know the answer. I looked on a experian credit report and found he answer, so I may call and try to get a code again.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
I recently unfroze my credit and was blown away at how impossible it would be to do over the phone. I forgot where I put my codes (found them in the password safe where they belonged later). When I called virtually all the questions were impossible to answer - nit-picky little details about dates when mortgages were paid off years ago, how much the initial loan on a car was years ago, and on and on. I gave up in frustration. Luckily I found the codes and proceeded without issue online. Do not lose your codes. I just hope that my refreeze which has already taken effect continues with te same unlock codes since none of them sent me new ones.

I just left Experian's site and tried to enter a new credit card (ShopSafe) number in both our accounts. Both attempts failed without explanation - the button to submit simply didn't work. No where on the form was a "you need to fill this in too" notice. Since I am covered under the OPM and another free watch, I wondered if the monitoring services could place a freeze on your account such that some updates like those in the profile could not be modified. I have received no email from Experian or any of the watch businesses that someone tried to make a change.

I just left Experian's site and tried to enter a new credit card (ShopSafe) number in both our accounts. Both attempts failed without explanation - the button to submit simply didn't work. No where on the form was a "you need to fill this in too" notice. Since I am covered under the OPM and another free watch, I wondered if the monitoring services could place a freeze on your account such that some updates like those in the profile could not be modified. I have received no email from Experian or any of the watch businesses that someone tried to make a change.
I don't understand what you were trying to do. You were entering your own card? They already have everything issued under your SSN don't they? I'm worried that there may be things that are not really me. Can't imagine worrying that they missed something that is me.

I don't understand what you were trying to do. You were entering your own card? They already have everything issued under your SSN don't they? I'm worried that there may be things that are not really me. Can't imagine worrying that they missed something that is me.

I interpreted this as that OP provided a CC number as payment for the freeze.

Many states allow the credit bureaus to charge for the service.

-gauss

I interpreted this as that OP provided a CC number as payment for the freeze.

Many states allow the credit bureaus to charge for the service.

-gauss
duh. I shoulda seen that.

Correction. It was Equifax that was the issue for me. Experian and Transunion credit freeze were successful. I'll try to call Equifax to resolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

No, not a real credit card number, a BoA ShopSafe number for purchased services. It wasn't in the login, it was on the profile page. I tried changing my mother's maiden name and nothing else and it wouldn't let me do that either. That's why I asked the question since there are several people on the OPM credit watch programs at this forum.

Back
Top Bottom