Current choices for Cash Back Credit Cards

I don't believe there is a subcategory for medical on the BOA cash rewards card. Additionally with one card, you would be limited to 2.5k per quarter or 10k per year out of the 40k expense.

BOA also has a Premium Rewards card that one can effectively receive 2.625% back with the caveat of having 100k at ML/BOA. This card does have a $95 fee, but if you travel then $100 of baggage costs are reimbursed each year, plus your breakeven point would be below the 40k expenses vs. the Fidelity 2% card.
I did get another BOA cash back card yesterday, so that we will now have $5000 in quarterly spending available at the 5.25% reward level for on line, or other qualifying category and 3.5% for groceries/clubs. We use our Chase to autopay Telcom and cable/internet which earn 5% rewards. Everything else earns 2.625% on the BOA premium, which costs $95/yr, with a $100 annual credit for airline baggage costs.

The 2.65% cash back seems like the best deal if we went with the premium card at BofA. Finishing up a home refinancing, so plan on applying for this and the amex card soon. I really like the idea of using these high cash back cards to buy gift cards. I think we could end up with 5% back on majority of our consumer spend.

BOA also has a Premium Rewards card that one can effectively receive 2.625% back with the caveat of having 100k at ML/BOA. ....

I like this card, but will point out to folks, the BOA cards % back increase by having some $$ at ML/BOA, does take some time to get 'activated'.

Perhaps this was because I was new to ML, or because of their method of calculating the Preferred Rewards level based on the previous 3 month average amount of money.

I think it took about 3 months for the "Preferred Rewards" to assigned to my accounts.

Once you are in, though it is great !

Rewards....

"Chase is making a big splash in the world of rewards credit cards with the introduction of a brand-new card on September 15 – and it’s a doozy. The Chase Freedom Flex℠ is the latest addition to Chase’s Freedom credit card line, offering a truly unique cashback program that combines rotating 5% categories with ongoing 5% and 3% categories as well.
If there was one word to sum up how to describe Chase Freedom Flex℠’s suite of rewards, it would be generous. Right off the bat, Chase Freedom Flex℠offers quarterly rotating 5% cashback categories for things like grocery stores (not including Walmart & Target), internet and phone services, streaming services and more. However, most cards that have 5% cashback categories only offer 1% cash back on purchases outside that category."

https://www.comparecards.com/guide/...id=0169423e-d2b3-4a32-aea2-e80c27fa6278&mta=1

omni

"Chase is making a big splash in the world of rewards credit cards with the introduction of a brand-new card on September 15 – and it’s a doozy. The Chase Freedom Flex℠ is the latest addition to Chase’s Freedom credit card line, offering a truly unique cashback program that combines rotating 5% categories with ongoing 5% and 3% categories as well.
If there was one word to sum up how to describe Chase Freedom Flex℠’s suite of rewards, it would be generous. Right off the bat, Chase Freedom Flex℠offers quarterly rotating 5% cashback categories for things like grocery stores (not including Walmart & Target), internet and phone services, streaming services and more. However, most cards that have 5% cashback categories only offer 1% cash back on purchases outside that category."

https://www.comparecards.com/guide/...id=0169423e-d2b3-4a32-aea2-e80c27fa6278&mta=1

omni

I was nagged on this one the other day. I just don't like ones that require so much baby sitting. It is hard enough to remember Amex, Apple and the Amazon Prime visa, but after that it is just the regular 2% on the Fidelity card. And, rotating categories means you can't just eventually memorize it. This is why we don't use our Discover card that has the same time of concept

omni

I posted about this card in post #34. I got mine yesterday.

I posted about this card in post #34. I got mine yesterday.

The Chase Freedom Flex card would be a good card to pair up with a Discover It card if the rotating 5% deals occur in different quarters of the year. Imagine 5% off groceries for 6 months and no fees to be paid. :dance:

That said, the 4th quarter's 5% is Walmart and PayPay. Walmart is just far enough away that I rarely shop there. I hardly ever use PayPal.

Last edited:
I don't believe there is a subcategory for medical on the BOA cash rewards card. Additionally with one card, you would be limited to 2.5k per quarter or 10k per year out of the 40k expense.

BOA also has a Premium Rewards card that one can effectively receive 2.625% back with the caveat of having 100k at ML/BOA. This card does have a $95 fee, but if you travel then $100 of baggage costs are reimbursed each year, plus your breakeven point would be below the 40k expenses vs. the Fidelity 2% card.
Florida Blue let's you pay your insurance premium at CVS stores or at Dollar General. They scan a bar code, then you pay with your credit card. This was set up because they did not take credit cards directly until a couple of months ago.

It goes through as a drug store transaction. I set my BoA Cash Rewards card preferred category to drug stores, and receive 5.25% back (3% plus bonus) up to $2500 per quarter.

I don't know if this is an option for you, but it might be worth looking into.

Florida Blue let's you pay your insurance premium at CVS stores or at Dollar General. They scan a bar code, then you pay with your credit card. This was set up because they did not take credit cards directly until a couple of months ago.

It goes through as a drug store transaction. I set my BoA Cash Rewards card preferred category to drug stores, and receive 5.25% back (3% plus bonus) up to $2500 per quarter.

I don't know if this is an option for you, but it might be worth looking into.

Is this still an option?
I thought I noticed now that they take a credit card payment, I didn't notice this barcode option anymore.
Perhaps I missed it.

Is this still an option?
I thought I noticed now that they take a credit card payment, I didn't notice this barcode option anymore.
Perhaps I missed it.
Yes, I just did it Tuesday. Look at the "pay in person" option, the select "print bar code".

The Chase Freedom Flex card would be a good card to pair up with a Discover It card if the rotating 5% deals occur in different quarters of the year. Imagine 5% off groceries for 6 months and no fees to be paid. :dance:

That said, the 4th quarter's 5% is Walmart and PayPay. Walmart is just far enough away that I rarely shop there. I hardly ever use PayPal.

So far, the Freedom and the Freedom Flex have the same quarterly rewards. I don't see Chase offers on the Freedom Flex though, only the Freedom.

Discover It's 4th quarter is 5% at Amazon, Walmart, and Target (which is only handy if you don't have the Target card).

This quarter, Chase Freedom is Amazon and Whole Foods Market, while Discover It is restaurants and PayPal. This quarter, I set up Netflix and Hulu (on their new annual plan) for payment via PayPal using Discover. Before next month's billing, I'll add the Freedom Flex card to PayPal and make it the default payment method for the 4th quarter to get the 5% cash back through the rest of the year on Netflix.

(BTW, Amazon appears to be well stocked with hair clippers of all types now. I ordered a rechargeable yesterday using the Chase Freedom. Local stores are still out of stock on those and might only have one corded to choose from.)

Yes, I just did it Tuesday. Look at the "pay in person" option, the select "print bar code".

Okay now I see it. The site design was changed a little and now I had to hit "Other ways to pay" option first before giving me that option.

Back
Top Bottom