Declining life expectancy

retiredunder50

Recycles dryer sheets
Has U.S. life expectancy maxed out? Decline is first in decades

New study shows something is going on. Maybe it's the newer generations with increasingly sedentary lifestyles, obesity, food additives/pesticides/hormones/antibiotics, chemicals in the water and air, increasing frequency of exposure to various imaging energy from dental and medical to full body airport scans, sitting in front of glowing screens all day, continuously holding devices close to body with multiple RF emitters in cellular, wifi, bluetooth, and other bands ... who knows? Maybe people should reconsider retirement planning and social security withdrawal strategies? It’s sad that given all the money we spend on health care, we are only number 43 out of 224 countries for life expectancy.

part of the reason that it's low compared to other countries is our neo-natal mortality

part of the reason that it's low compared to other countries is our neo-natal mortality
And differences in how live births are counted.

There's no need to look at unknown/fringe causes for declines in US longevity, the problems are well known. The increase in opiod-related deaths is a factor not mentioned in the article that may be playing a part.

Take a look next time you are at the mall or out in public anywhere. Note the number of morbidly obese people you see as compared to a couple of decades ago. No wonder even with advances in medical care, we see a decline.

Yep. We are fat. And that leads to heart health issues. Cancer mortality is actually decreasing, while coronary disease is claiming more lives. Our convenience-based lifestyle includes a diet of fake food products and processed food, and we sit all day instead of walking around.

Should we expect insurance companies to start charging less for LTC premiums and to start paying out more for annuities? just kidding

On PBS I saw an interesting discussion that included a map of US obesity rates by state/county, plus a map of antibiotic use rates. There was strong correlation between the two maps. Correlation does not mean causation, of course, but it says to me intestinal microbes may have a big say in how big our guts get. The speaker advocated daily consumption of various acidic foods like yogurt and sauerkraut because they boost friendly bacteria associated with maintaining a healthy weight. Doing so has helped me.

Take a look next time you are at the mall or out in public anywhere. Note the number of morbidly obese people you see as compared to a couple of decades ago. No wonder even with advances in medical care, we see a decline.

Heard on the radio this morning that a mall Santa, somewhere, had been castigated, and almost or perhaps fired, for suggesting that the overweight youngster on his lap "Lay off the hamburgers for a while".

At one time the Santa may have been applauded, "Listen to Santa, son", but nowadays he's denigrated.

Heard on the radio this morning that a mall Santa, somewhere, had been castigated, and almost or perhaps fired, for suggesting that the overweight youngster on his lap "Lay off the hamburgers for a while".

At one time the Santa may have been applauded, "Listen to Santa, son", but nowadays he's denigrated.
When I was a kid Santa was considered to be fat. These days he just sort of looks normal.

On PBS I saw an interesting discussion that included a map of US obesity rates by state/county, plus a map of antibiotic use rates. There was strong correlation between the two maps. Correlation does not mean causation, of course, but it says to me intestinal microbes may have a big say in how big our guts get. The speaker advocated daily consumption of various acidic foods like yogurt and sauerkraut because they boost friendly bacteria associated with maintaining a healthy weight. Doing so has helped me.
Do you make your own sauerkraut?

I think sauerkraut that you can buy in a supermarket has no live organisms that might help gut health.

ha

We can point out on many factors but most developed countries have higher life expectancy with similar health issues like mentioned above. However our Healthcare is most expensive in the world yet obviously not the best.

There's a strong correlation with dihydrogen monoxide, so that's my guess.

In my part of the country, just about everyone can be found inhaling the same blend of gases I use to fill my tires with. Can't be good for you.

The increase in opiod-related deaths is a factor not mentioned in the article that may be playing a part.

Rising morbidity and mortality in midlife among white non-Hispanic Americans in the 21st century

"Midlife increases in suicides and drug poisonings have been previously noted. However, that these upward trends were persistent and large enough to drive up all-cause midlife mortality has, to our knowledge, been overlooked. If the white mortality rate for ages 45−54 had held at their 1998 value, 96,000 deaths would have been avoided from 1999–2013, 7,000 in 2013 alone. If it had continued to decline at its previous (1979‒1998) rate, half a million deaths would have been avoided in the period 1999‒2013, comparable to lives lost in the US AIDS epidemic through mid-2015. Concurrent declines in self-reported health, mental health, and ability to work, increased reports of pain, and deteriorating measures of liver function all point to increasing midlife distress."

Do you make your own sauerkraut?

I think sauerkraut that you can buy in a supermarket has no live organisms that might help gut health.

ha

Store bought has worked well enough for me. It seems to be feeding the good intestinal bacteria already there. If needed, active-culture yogurt can introduce more good bacteria though I wonder what percentage survives all the way to the large intestine.

Note that as suggested above and in many news postings the life expectancy of 45-54 year old non college educated whites has appeared to decrease due to booze and opium (oxycodicne and hydrocodine etc) pills recently.

Probably being caused by too much medical treatment. People who are not sick but there is money is treating a condition so more people are told they need drugs for a disease they don't have or might get 30 years from now.

I know this is exactly how I was treated until I got wise and stopped seeing doctors when they wanted to see me. My health improved and my medical bills plummeted. Sick and dying at 29. healthy as a g/d horse and not suspiciously still not dead at 60. Drugs have consequences and unnecessary drugs have the same consequences. Most people for all the crabbing they do about health care seem to lionize doctors and lack a healthy skepticism.

And differences in how live births are counted.

There's no need to look at unknown/fringe causes for declines in US longevity, the problems are well known. The increase in opiod-related deaths is a factor not mentioned in the article that may be playing a part.

Suicides are also up, about 20% between 2005 and 2014. https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

Back
Top Bottom