Declining life expectancy

Do you make your own sauerkraut?

I think sauerkraut that you can buy in a supermarket has no live organisms that might help gut health.

ha

Store bought has worked well enough for me. It seems to be feeding the good intestinal bacteria already there. If needed, active-culture yogurt can introduce more good bacteria though I wonder what percentage survives all the way to the large intestine.

Grayhare - the store bought has no live organisms in it, it is pasteurized as part of the canning/bottling process.

If it has helped you it isn't due to any probiotics. And cooking home made sauerkraut is gonna wipe out the live stuff too. But the Vitamin C takes some time to breakdown, so it could still be a good source of that.

I started making my own sauerkraut in small batches. It's easy, but I just don't eat much cold/raw, so I doubt I get any real benefit, so it's probably not even worth the small amount of work it takes, other than just to do it to do it.

-ERD50

I think sauerkraut that you can buy in a supermarket has no live organisms that might help gut health.

ha

The kimchi I get at the supermarket still has live organisms in it. It is very fizzy when you first open it. I use it as a condiment and find it easier to include in my diet than sauerkraut.

Grayhare - the store bought has no live organisms in it, it is pasteurized as part of the canning/bottling process.

That's OK since the idea behind sauerkraut isn't to introduce live organisms but rather feed the existing ones. The good intestinal bacteria like an acidic environment: acidophilus.

More than sad. Shocking, embarrassing, and scandalous, given the resources spent on health care.

Maybe the reason we spend so much on healthcare is we are so out of shape. Could it be that if we were in shape, it would not only be cheaper, it would lead to a longer lifespan.

We put it down to prevalence of obesity, fast foods, prepared foods, and junk foods. That and the combo of no exercise/physical activity. We are constantly amazed at how large the portions are in so many restaurants and how they like to pile on the french fries. Yuk.

Helps the Social Security Trust Fund stay solvent.

I welcome the shorter life expectancy. The world population increase is out of control. We are running out of resource. I say live shorter but happier. :whistle::hide:

If it has helped you it isn't due to any probiotics. And cooking home made sauerkraut is gonna wipe out the live stuff too. But the Vitamin C takes some time to breakdown, so it could still be a good source of that.

I started making my own sauerkraut in small batches. It's easy, but I just don't eat much cold/raw, so I doubt I get any real benefit, so it's probably not even worth the small amount of work it takes, other than just to do it to do it.

-ERD50
You can find store bought sauerkraut with live organisms.

You can find store bought sauerkraut with live organisms.

Yes, Bubbies is a good one. It needs to be kept cold so has not been heated and canned. There are other brands with live organisms. The prices are generally higher on the fresh stuff.

Obesity has been around for 20+ years. What is new in the last year or two?

Drug overdoses?
Mass shootings?
Obamacare?
Prices for essential drugs?

It has to be something recent?

Not to mention breathing air that is 78% nitrogen. The government should do something!

Could be. Could also be opioids, as Samclem mentioned. There's a strong correlation with dihydrogen monoxide, so that's my guess.

Obesity has been around for 20+ years. What is new in the last year or two?

Drug overdoses?
Mass shootings?
Obamacare?
Prices for essential drugs?

It has to be something recent?
Good point!

Every morning, when I wake up, I have this ominous premonition that my life expectancy has been shortened by one axial rotation.......perhaps I'm just paranoid?

This decline in life expectancy correlates with the Gluten free craze. Coincidence?

Not much difference during first two weeks, including hospital care between US and Finland/Austria (best in class)

Substantial differences between states. Very substantial differences between best in class countries and USA at age one based on socio/economic status and access to health care.

Last edited:
What are the organisms that are supposed to be in sauerkraut and kimchi? Are they the same and how do they get there?

A very long time ago, probably when my mother was feeling ambitious, she made kimchi but I don't recall her adding any kind of starter culture.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

ha

So buy your sauerkraut fresh in the deli or meat department..usually comes in 2 lb bags.

Every morning, when I wake up, I have this ominous premonition that my life expectancy has been shortened by one axial rotation.......perhaps I'm just paranoid?

Quit sleeping on top of the axle and you'll be fine.

Or, put it in reverse and you'll be a toddler in no time...

:rolleyes:

so does kimchi have natural probios in it?

Back
Top Bottom