Join Early Retirement Today

Do you Autopay your Monthly Bills?
Old 12-07-2023, 02:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you Autopay your Monthly Bills?

I have a new responsibility in retirement where I now am paying the utility bills.
Presently I am paying house bills monthly on-line. I am wondering if should I set up autopay for most of bills? Do you trust the bank and or credit card pay method on-line?
Healthy Lifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2023, 02:40 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been doing this for over a decade and never once had a single problem.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:42 PM   #3

Yep. Autopay for gas, electric, water, land line, cell phone, alarm company, internet, streaming services, and probably some other things. Been that way for years.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:43 PM   #4

I have autopay for anything possible. No issues, unless I have messed something up.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:44 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Autopay, autodeposit, paperless on everything (*) for decades. No problems ever that I can recall. If there had been any problems, I'm sure they were fewer and of a smaller magnitude than when I was doing things manually where there are more opportunities for error IMHO.

(*) Except year end tax forms, which is something I just need to get over.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:47 PM   #6
Administrator

+1 on autopay for everything I can. Never had a problem.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:48 PM   #7

Some are on direct debit. Most of the rest of our expenses get put on one CC. I have been meaning to put that on automatic for a while.

Handful of irregular bills are processed through online bill pay. Once a year or so I have to write a paper check.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:53 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Done it since early 2000’s. Most are credit card charges. A few are bank bill pay. Most of those are electronic but apparently the bank is still mailing a monthly check to our city water/sewer and HOA. Over 13 years (current house) I’ve had to deal with a lost in the mail check once for each.

I also autopay my estimated taxes via EFTPS.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:04 PM   #9

We've been doing this for years.

We prefer putting it on a CC if we can - 2% kickback and actually pay it next month.

Some only have a direct debit option.

Our local water department requires a check. The local sewer folks joined the modern age this fall, so we're down to one check.

Ooops, that's wrong, our propane vendor also requires a check. But we usually prepay for the year to get the discount. They're really just a big farm in the area that used a lot of propane and decided to start selling to their neighbors.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:06 PM   #10

I let the company or entity bill a credit card wherever possible so as to maximize credit card spending incentives. Some places will not me let use credit cards so, so I let them debit from my checking account -- gas company, city water, T-Mobile cell phone, etc.

Most everything is on autopay for my simplicity and has been for years. I let them initiate payment so that I don't have to.

HOWEVER, I do manually pay all my credit cards every month rather than let them pull from my bank. I prefer to double check things on the cards first. But I do pay them all by initiating payment from my bank online account.

This has been my routine for many, many years.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:07 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Just switched my last monthly bills, electric and finally water, to my Chase CC. I still manually pay the card from my bank account monthly. It gives me a chance to quickly look at the outgoing amounts in one place. I haven’t switched over the semi-annual/ annual insurance and property tax bills yet.
tutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:09 PM   #12

Another one who has been doing it for as long (before 2000) and for as many accounts (nearly all now) as I can. Withdrawals and withholdings from IRAs are also automated for the year.

Never a problem. A bit of a pain when a credit card is replaced, as you need to go into each autopaid account and change the number, but that really doesn't take that long.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I have been doing this for over a decade and never once had a single problem.
+1, but 25 years for me. The only minor issue is depending on how you do it...either direct from checking or with a credit/debit card. If with a card, and your card is lost/stolen, then you have to contact each vendor and update them...a bit of a pain...I had to do that once.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveyoga View Post
I have autopay for anything possible. No issues, unless I have messed something up.
+100. We've used autopay for at least 15 years, longer in some cases. Not just monthly bills, but taxes, registrations, insurance, and anything else possible. We are disapppointed when we have to pay any other way e.g. mail or hand written checks (what an unnecessary PITA). Most of ours are direct billpay from bank checking, but we use a CC if there's no other option.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:23 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
HOWEVER, I do manually pay all my credit cards every month rather than let them pull from my bank. I prefer to double check things on the cards first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutan View Post
I still manually pay the card manually from my bank account monthly. It gives me a chance to quickly look at the outgoing amounts in one place.
I double check all charges and do autopay on all my credit cards. The latter doesn't preclude the former.

In the very very rare case of a charge that is incorrect, it's very easy to dispute the charge. The CCs typically give you a conditional credit while the dispute is in progress, so it doesn't need to be paid, doesn't accrue interest, etc. In all cases I can recall, the conditional credit becomes permanent after a month or so.

In the larger picture, even as I have everything on autopilot, I still try to maintain the discipline of doublechecking everything. I used to do so religiously to the penny with every account on every statement. This year I've slacked off on a few of my smaller accounts with very few transactions. I still do a once-yearly reconciliation on every account to the penny.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:55 PM   #16

I also manually pay the credit cards. I want to review those. Also sometimes the balance can exceed what’s in the checking account and I need time to move funds around.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:58 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Have used autopay for years. Would recommend a CC or Paypal rather than deduction from you checking account for reasons stated above and for ease of handling disputes.
timbervest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I use autopay as much as possible. I try to “push” payments from my Bank of America checking account using ebill if available. I also autopay via Fidelity 2% cashback for every biller that accepts. I avoid letting billers pull funds because if I need to change accounts I would have to update each biller.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:04 PM   #19

Autopay all the way. I pay credit cards manually online but they are set to autopay at the end of the month in case I happen to be in a coma or in jail someday
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:08 PM   #20

Nope. DH pays the utilities.

I review all bills before paying them - and "push" rather than authorize a "pull." Most bills (other than taxes) are on my credit card(s).