Do you love your home?

Our salt box 80's home is very nice (and recently upgraded for the most part), though no Better Homes and Gardens material. It is in a rural area in the Hudson Valley Region of NY on 10.5 acres of wooded land with a stream and a bridge and is set back 700 feet into the woods from the road.

It has been great as we have worked all these years and it has been a wonderful retreat to come back to each day and on weekends, surrounded by woods and wildlife.

That said- when we retire we want to move to New Hampshire where our only child lives because it is too secluded here for aging and we want to be in some kind of community where other people are around, yet still in a rural type area.

But it is hard to find something there in our price range as our home here has barely appreciated due to market conditions and we need the money from the sale of our home to buy something in New Hampshire.

Not sure what we are going to do. We have lived here since 1987. The home was being built when we bought it.

Last edited:
Our salt box 80's home is very nice (and recently upgraded for the most part), though no Better Homes and Gardens material. It is in a rural area in the Hudson Valley Region of NY on 10.5 acres of wooded land with a stream and a bridge and is set back 700 feet into the woods from the road.

It has been great as we have worked all these years and it has been a wonderful retreat to come back to each day and on weekends, surrounded by woods and wildlife.

That said- when we retire we want to move to New Hampshire where our only child lives because it is too secluded here for aging and we want to be in some kind of community where other people are around, yet still in a rural type area.

But it is hard to find something there in our price range as our home here has barely appreciated due to market conditions and we need the money from the sale of our home to buy something in New Hampshire.

Not sure what we are going to do. We have lived here since 1987. The home was being built when we bought it.
Having lived in NH for 35 years I would look at the property taxes you'll be paying. Here is the link to property taxes by town. https://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/municipal/property-tax-rates.htm
Good luck in your search for a home.

I like our home. Do I LOVE it?? Not really. It's where we raised the kids and they enjoyed it. Nice lawn and quiet street. Pretty much the American Dream. But if I could do it over, I would have stretched my resources and got a lake front home.

DW and I bought into a brand new 55+ condo community of SFH's 5 years ago. The house is great being just the right size, energy efficient, all outside maintenance handled by professionals, etc. But in the end it is just a house. Even better is the new community of friends and neighbors I've come to really appreciate. Just finished pickleball and setting up the clubhouse for this evenings Oktoberfest dinner and party. Bowled once, golfed twice this week (with a beer afterwards with the rest of the 4some). Went out to lunch once, and dinner twice with different groups. So I think it is best to say I like my house and love my home.

Back
Top Bottom