Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does taxable dividend income qualify you to have a Roth IRA
Old 04-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Osaka
Posts: 17
Does taxable dividend income qualify you to have a Roth IRA

My understanding is that I can't have a Roth IRA because I work overseas where I don't pay American taxes on my income although I'm a US citizen.

So when I saw these funds mentioning "taxable dividend income" (specifically I was looking at Vanguard Equity Income Fund Investor Shares (VEIPX)), it got me wondering whether having this taxable income wouldn't in turn allow me to have a Roth IRA. Would it, and if so, is that something that would be worth doing?

RichoRosai is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,692
I am not at all sure of the IRA rules regarding wages outside earned out side the US.

However, unearned income such as interest or dividends DOES NOT make one eligible for any type of IRA Roth or traditional
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
MichaelB's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of Florida Man
Posts: 38,018
When you work overseas you are entitled to an earned income exemption of $85700 - wages and salary for which you do not have to pay US income tax. This income is not eligible for ROTH contribution. Any amount you earn additional to this is eligible for ROTH.

As CLIFP pointed out, unearned income - interest, dividends, capital gains - is not eligible for ROTH or any other type of tax deferral.

Regards, Michael
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roth 403(b), Roth IRA and 'earned income' ERD50 FIRE and Money 16 02-24-2008 08:00 PM
Roth IRA Income limits podey Young Dreamers 4 12-14-2007 05:33 PM
Need advice: traditional 403(b) vs. Roth 403(b) vs. Roth IRA vs. taxable account Silhan FIRE and Money 12 06-07-2007 10:08 AM
Trusts to shield your income/qualify for assistance -- maybe not pedorrero Health and Early Retirement 35 04-13-2007 02:25 AM
Roth IRA Income Limit changes RatherBeFishn Other topics 13 03-13-2005 10:09 AM

» Quick Links

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:52 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.