Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2022, 09:39 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just received the electric bill. On-peak rate: 21c/kWh. Off-peak rate: 7.6c/kWh.

Nothing unusual here. Did not see any notice of rate increase either. Yet, I am sure SRP has to run or buy from thermal plants and cannot escape the higher cost of fuel. What's going on?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2022, 09:41 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
I just saw a video that somewhere in Florida they are instituting a min charge of $30-ish for everyone. Ticked of the solar crowd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Years ago we had semi-remote property in a different mountainous area that Did have on grid electric. They made us sign a contract that stated we would Not use any solar on that property. Couldn't blame them as the electric company did pay for initial infrastructure. That is unless they received some kind of gov subsidy for the initial infrastructure.
Up in my high-country boondocks home, the minimum service charge is $31/month.

Down here in the metropolitan, the minimum charge is $20/month.

I say that's fair, and do not complain.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-22-2022, 05:03 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I can see several Solar owners banding together to evade this ploy. Half a dozen solar home owners go off-grid but run HD extension cords to a central house that still has connection. They pay the central house guy for his power they need at night to run their TV, AC and a couple of lights. They pay his $30 connection fee. They all meet up occasionally to laugh and throw a party "on" the electric company's dime. YMMV
Then someone gets caught and goes to jail!
Old 06-22-2022, 05:58 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I can see several Solar owners banding together to evade this ploy. Half a dozen solar home owners go off-grid but run HD extension cords to a central house that still has connection. They pay the central house guy for his power they need at night to run their TV, AC and a couple of lights. They pay his $30 connection fee. They all meet up occasionally to laugh and throw a party "on" the electric company's dime. YMMV
That's classic cheap old-man stuff
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:24 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Nah, nobody needs to go to jail. The utility company just comes and disconnects that guy with the service. No more electric juice for y'all.

No more TV at night. No more partying. Everybody hustles to install batteries, or to run a generator at night.

This living off-the-grid thing is doable, but takes some work, and some money too.

Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What law would that be breaking? I'm sure the electric company wouldn't like it, but is there a law forbidding sharing of electricity? I actually did that very briefly with a neighbor years ago when they had a fuse-box issue. They needed to keep their fridge going and I had a commercial grade 3-prong extension. Worked like a charm for several hours. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
That's classic cheap old-man stuff
Guilty as charged, your honor.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old Yesterday, 06:51 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Just received the electric bill. On-peak rate: 21c/kWh. Off-peak rate: 7.6c/kWh.

Nothing unusual here. Did not see any notice of rate increase either. Yet, I am sure SRP has to run or buy from thermal plants and cannot escape the higher cost of fuel. What's going on?
I think in Arizona rate hike request have to go through a state commission and it can take time. My local paper mentioned that Tucson Electric Power recently submitted a 12% rate hike increase and if approved would go in effect in Sept 2023.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I think in Arizona rate hike request have to go through a state commission and it can take time. My local paper mentioned that Tucson Electric Power recently submitted a 12% rate hike increase and if approved would go in effect in Sept 2023.
Sep 2023!

By that time, either the utility is bankrupt or the world is awash in fossil fuel after everyone drills, drills, drills. Things are changing so fast, a year is an eternity.

Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What law would that be breaking? I'm sure the electric company wouldn't like it, but is there a law forbidding sharing of electricity? I actually did that very briefly with a neighbor years ago when they had a fuse-box issue. They needed to keep their fridge going and I had a commercial grade 3-prong extension. Worked like a charm for several hours. YMMV
No meter? Theft.
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
No meter? Theft.
Read my post again and see if you still see anything illegal. If so, I'll 'splain it in shorter sentences and smaller words.

Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

No, not criminal. Only against a contract.

And then, only if habitually done.

Old Today, 07:03 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Read my post again and see if you still see anything illegal. If so, I'll 'splain it in shorter sentences and smaller words.
As NW-Bound says, depends on the contract. But even so, I can't imagine any way to run power from one house to the other and be code compliant.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:20 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
As NW-Bound says, depends on the contract. But even so, I can't imagine any way to run power from one house to the other and be code compliant.

-ERD50
Running power to a house is different than running power to a fridge and a couple of lights in house that is off grid with solar panels. "Energizing" a house through even a heavy duty extension cord would probably be a very bad idea. Running your neighbor's fridge is just being neighborly if their power goes out. I'm suggesting just a matter of degrees. Heh, heh, at this point, I'm willing to agree to disagree. I just thought it was a good way to stick it to the electric companies who are now trying to make their money on "connection" fees since folks continue to cut back on electricity and are adding solar panels. YMMV

Old Today, 09:59 AM   #95

Quote:
Running power to a house is different than running power to a fridge and a couple of lights in house that is off grid with solar panels. "Energizing" a house through even a heavy duty extension cord would probably be a very bad idea. Running your neighbor's fridge is just being neighborly if their power goes out. I'm suggesting just a matter of degrees. Heh, heh, at this point, I'm willing to agree to disagree. I just thought it was a good way to stick it to the electric companies who are now trying to make their money on "connection" fees since folks continue to cut back on electricity and are adding solar panels. YMMV
Hard to run a full house.

But not uncommon to upgrade the main panel in order to run a circuit to a sub-panel on an outbuilding (e.g. garage) via buried conduit.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:28 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Hard to run a full house.

But not uncommon to upgrade the main panel in order to run a circuit to a sub-panel on an outbuilding (e.g. garage) via buried conduit.
Heh, heh, that's way more complicated than I had in mind. I'm thinking just running a HD cord to your neighbor's fridge so they can remain off the grid at night (avoiding the ridiculous connection fee for a service they would rarely use since they have solar panels.) YMMV

Old Today, 10:34 AM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There may be a lot of things wrong with "sharing" power with neighbors, especially if you are charging for the power. I would read your contract with the power company and see what it says in that regard. Tampering with their metering equipment is certainly an issue and I would guess they have a restriction on reselling their power provided to you (are you now a electric supplier on your own?).

And, as always, liability issues.
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There may be a lot of things wrong with "sharing" power with neighbors, especially if you are charging for the power. I would read your contract with the power company and see what it says in that regard. Tampering with their metering equipment is certainly an issue and I would guess they have a restriction on reselling their power provided to you (are you now a electric supplier on your own?).

And, as always, liability issues.
Tampering with meters was never part of the equation. Meters were never mentioned. You don't need a meter to run a HD extension to your neighbor's fridge.

WAG: If a tree down the street knocked out your neighbor's power, you'd all let your neighbor save their food by running an extension to their house. Well, maybe some of you wouldn't.

Old Today, 10:55 AM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Tampering with meters was never part of the equation. Meters were never mentioned. You don't need a meter to run a HD extension to your neighbor's fridge.

WAG: If a tree down the street knocked out your neighbor's power, you'd all let your neighbor save their food by running an extension to their house. Well, maybe some of you wouldn't.
No issues with emergencies. I have a gen set and do the same.
Old Today, 11:17 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Heh, heh, that's way more complicated than I had in mind. I'm thinking just running a HD cord to your neighbor's fridge so they can remain off the grid at night (avoiding the ridiculous connection fee for a service they would rarely use since they have solar panels.) YMMV

I would not call the connection fee ridiculous. The utility companies are responsible for the power lines and a lot of equipment to connect our homes to the grid.

Industrial-quality equipment is expensive. I needed a good 240V/120V transformer, and the following 1.5 kVA transformer costs $330. The sucker weight is 38 lbs, so shipping cost is another killer.

I was fortunate to find a used one locally for less. The thing is a far cry from China-made transformers you get on eBay.

The distribution transformer that's pole-mounted up in my high-country home got to cost a bit of money.