ESOP rollover at retirement

theloneranger

Recycles dryer sheets
I know this has come up before, but I cannot find it.
What is the term for the process whereby one can take advantage of a low stock basis when rolling over an ESOP?
Specifically, I have several hundred shares of stock in an ESOP plan with a basis of $7 per share and a current value of $35 per share. I need to get out of the company stock when I retire next year and minimize the tax consequences.

I believe the term you're looking for is "Net Unrealized Appreciation". Assuming you can withdraw from the 401K penalty-free, you could transfer the shares of company stock from the 401K into a taxable account -- paying ordinary income taxes on your original cost basis -- and then you can sell the company stock held for more than a year at favorable long-term capital gains rates. This is a good strategy but it needs to be done just right, because a mistake could be quite costly.

You can research this over on the Fairmark Forum which is handled by a great bunch of CPA's. Considering the time of year that it is (April 15 fast approaching), you might just do some reading now. www.fairmark.com

Could be wrong (and the rules could have changed anyway) but IIRC you need to withdraw your entire 401(k) at a single time to take advantage of this rule. In my case, I never considered it because the non-stock portion of my 401(k) would have been hard hit with regular income tax in a high bracket (for that year). YMMV

Back
Top Bottom