Ex-dividend, record and payable dates for ETF: confused ...

BarbWire

Recycles dryer sheets
Yet another almost-clueless question:

In March I did some capital loss harvesting to simplify my holdings at Vanguard. I still have about $14,400 in realized capital loss from March, so I now want to sell my VTV position (about $13,300 in long term cap gains) to continue re-balancing/simplifying.

I'm a bit unsure about the timing of the sale. The VTV declaration date is 12/22, the ex-dividend date is 12/24, the record date is 12/28, and the payable date is 12/30.

So, if I understand this: I should wait until 12/29 to sell the VTV in order to get the dividend (to be an "owner" on the record date)? And then, selling on 12/29 I will have nicely "used up" most of my March realized losses -- with some realized loss still available to offset December cap gains in my other holdings?

And, though I will sell on 12/29, it really doesn't matter if I quickly buy my new bond holding on 12/30, or wait until early January?

Thanks in advance for the coaching, as usual!

If this is taxable, you probably want to sell before the record date to avoid the distribution. Just in case the distribution is not all long-term cap gains.

You aren’t going to lose out on any dividend as the price of the security will drop on the ex-div date to reflect all distributions including the dividend.

Thanks, @audrey1. This is an ETF, so I don't think there will be capital gains distributions.

The table at https://advisors.vanguard.com/iwe/pdf/taxcenter/FAFYEEST.pdf says for VTV net income available $0.74 (which I assume is dividend per share) and $0 for estimated cap gains.

Perhaps I'm not understanding the table correctly. And yes, this is in a taxable account with 500 shares of VTV, all of which I intend to dump in the name of simplicity (and better AA). So it may throw about $375-ish in dividends, right?

Do you intend to do something with the dividend money? If not, the ETF prior to the dividend will be the same value as the (ETF + the dividend) after the dividend.

Do you intend to do something with the dividend money? If not, the ETF prior to the dividend will be the same value as the (ETF + the dividend) after the dividend.

This is in my taxable account, so I have dividends deposited into my sweep account rather than re-invested. So it will be taxed at, say, 20%.

Specific plans? I'd buy more of my new position with the after-tax $300-ish.

We're not taking about a huge sum here, so I really can't make a horrible mistake by selling anytime before the end of the year -- but I'd sure like to feel confident that I know how this works!

Then it really doesn't matter, since that table also shows 100% of the dividend is qualified. If you sell before, the sell price is a little higher in anticipation of the dividend to be paid. If you sell after, the price is reduced by that $.74 per share. The only difference will be market changes.

I should qualify that. It can matter, in some cases. I didn't realize it at the time, but in the first quarter this year, I sold VTCLX just before the dividend, and bought VFIAX after it's dividend. It was a pretty substantial amount too. So I skipped a good sized dividend in March. That money isn't gone, I got a little more on the sale, and paid a little less on the purchase, and since I have a capital loss for the year, it results in less taxable income, and a larger subsidy. Or more room for Roth conversion. Worked out well for me.

Then it really doesn't matter, since that table also shows 100% of the dividend is qualified. If you sell before, the sell price is a little higher in anticipation of the dividend to be paid. If you sell after, the price is reduced by that $.74 per share. The only difference will be market changes.

I should qualify that. It can matter, in some cases. I didn't realize it at the time, but in the first quarter this year, I sold VTCLX just before the dividend, and bought VFIAX after it's dividend. It was a pretty substantial amount too. So I skipped a good sized dividend in March. That money isn't gone, I got a little more on the sale, and paid a little less on the purchase, and since I have a capital loss for the year, it results in less taxable income, and a larger subsidy. Or more room for Roth conversion. Worked out well for me.

So, just to make sure I follow: Suppose I sell the VTV on 12/21, well before the record date of 12/28. I will not get a VTV dividend at year's end

If I then turn around and on 12/22 buy, say, 500 shares of VTI, which has a record date of 12/28, I would receive the end-of-year VTI dividend on those 500 brand new shares?

If that's right, then I have a glimmer of understanding how this works...

So, just to make sure I follow: Suppose I sell the VTV on 12/21, well before the record date of 12/28. I will not get a VTV dividend at year's end

If I then turn around and on 12/22 buy, say, 500 shares of VTI, which has a record date of 12/28, I would receive the end-of-year VTI dividend on those 500 brand new shares?

If that's right, then I have a glimmer of understanding how this works...
Yes, that sounds right.

It seems like, at this point, I should say "Thanks, coaches!"

My modest goal is to learn a bit more each year, and to do fewer dumb things each year. This forum is a great help for that.

Back
Top Bottom