VTV ETF outlook

RetiredHappy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So... ever since we took back management of our investments in Sep 2021, we invested about 8% of our funds into VTV. Performance of 2022 was not too bad as it was not down as much as Tech and S&P 500. Then this year it totally sucks. Our goal has been to diversify amongst a few ETFs.

We are trying to lock in some capital losses to net off the capital gains that we have incurred this year and I can harvest some losses from VTV holdings in the taxable accounts.

If you look at VTV past performance, it did not perform poorly until the past 12 months or so.

I think the question that I have is whether to sell half or all of VTV and buy VOO instead. I understand that VTV is value ETF as opposed to VOO's S&P 500. I don't really need higher dividends.

I look at it, and see it has recovered it's price swoon, and is just a few cents off a high over a year ago.

Not sure how you will get a loss from it :confused:

Attachments

• VTV stock 2023-12.png
    VTV stock 2023-12.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 5
The market rebounded in 2023 largely from shifting interest rate expectations. That favored growth over value, so VTV did poorly. VOO has significant growth components in it.

I would not rush to change.

But your goal for the holding is also unclear. If I switch out a value holding it would be to find something similar, not to chase.

Vanguard Value Index Fund ETF
NYSEARCA: VTV

When Fed rates climbed in 2022/2023, U.S. value index went sideways. VIVIX, SCHD, VTV and similar funds show this.

Why did you buy VTV?

Not throwing stones, as we hold SCHD and VIVIX, about 5% of overall portfolio.

Vanguard Value Index Fund ETF
NYSEARCA: VTV

When Fed rates climbed in 2022/2023, U.S. value index went sideways. VIVIX, SCHD, VTV and similar funds show this.

Why did you buy VTV?

Not throwing stones, as we hold SCHD and VIVIX, about 5% of overall portfolio.

I bought VTV for diversification purposes. I also own quite a bit in VGT and FTEC. So you asked the right question, why did I buy? If I move the funds from VTV to VOO then I am not diversifying as much as my original intention.

Vanguard Information Technology Index Fund ETF
NYSEARCA: VGT

Had to look that one up. So you're adding value to balance out some of the tech growth. Makes sense to me.

There are sites where you can enter various tickers and percentages, and analyze further.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/ is one site that comes to mind.

Vanguard Information Technology Index Fund ETF
NYSEARCA: VGT

Had to look that one up. So you're adding value to balance out some of the tech growth. Makes sense to me.

There are sites where you can enter various tickers and percentages, and analyze further.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/ is one site that comes to mind.

Thanks. Fidelity has the same analysis tool and currently I am right about where I should be. I think I will leave my VTV alone for now.

Back
Top Bottom