Eye popping spending and overwhelmed about how to cut down to a reasonable lifestyle

Not trying to keep up with the Joneses is the #1 way to cut expenses.
I drive a Kia even though I can afford a Tesla (well, it's now so engrained in me that my brain tells me I can't afford a Tesla, even though the math says I can).

Set a savings target and put it away first, before you spend money on anything else, it will force you to spend money more consciously. You can afford the fancy dinner, the cute pair of shoes or the latest iPhone model, but not all 3. Which one will make (both of you) happiest?

It's amazing how many things you can live without even though you start thinking you couldn't ever do without them.

You're right, the keeping up thing is so nefarious. I had an awesome used Toyota Matrix in 2013 that I traded up for a used Camry in 2017 which then I traded up for a used Tesla. Now I wish I just kep the Matrix all along, I don't know what validation I Was seeking with the cars. I've been shopping for used minivans (WAY awesomer than an SUV, we rented one off Turo on our recent vacation and my wife and I both were stunned how much we liked it compared to the SUV) and considering selling the Tesla and getting an ebike that I can commute with for the 4 miles to work. I paid 60k for the Tesla and 40k for the SUV, now their values are 20k and 30k respectively :facepalm:Still would get us ahead to sell them and trade in for a minivan.

One idea I'll float (very carefully) with the wife is that we cancel Amazon prime and see how it goes for 60 days.

This is not remotely where you start. Or selling the cars, or cancelling the lawn guy. Not the way to do it. That's like looking trimming hangnail on a stabbing victim.

It's a maybe, down the road (but I RE'd at 46 and I have Prime and a lawn guy). You don't have to go full ERE or MMM to reach your goal - first you need a goal.

A) get a grip on spending - what and why and how much, everything
B) figure out what you for sure don't need, and cut there
C) Save the rest
- repeat

OK well good luck with this fantasy you have going on....

Hey, it's good to have a goal. If they get their spending down to "only" $100K/year that would still free up a ton of money.

OP, yes, you do need to look at the details. Someone mentioned that so many of the items will seem minimal but I'm firmly convinced they add up- I've also pared many non-important categories (clothing, $18/month cell phone, $20/month Netflix) down to the bare minimum.

Amazon can be a trap. I don't have the Prime membership but a friend who really doesn't have the $$ to spend uses his all the time- lots of little electronic gadgets, an automatic feeder for his cats... but hey, shipping is "free". Too easy. I also see him buying multiples of things when one would do because that's how they're sold- and he has a small apartment that's already so cluttered that he loses things. Dropping Prime would be a good experiment.

You mentioned the possibility of working another day per week but spending time with your family is priceless and finite. IMO, you'd be better off sticking to 4 days a week and cutting back your spending.

I haven't read Michele Singletary's book but have read her columns and I really like her approach.

I'm glad you came back with answers and that you're a real person!

This is not remotely where you start. Or selling the cars, or cancelling the lawn guy. Not the way to do it. That's like looking trimming hangnail on a stabbing victim.

It's a maybe, down the road (but I RE'd at 46 and I have Prime and a lawn guy). You don't have to go full ERE or MMM to reach your goal - first you need a goal.

C) Save the rest
- repeat

Can I ask you to drill down on this a bit more? How do we figure out what parts we don't need when everything feels like it could maybe be a need right now?

Can I ask you to drill down on this a bit more? How do we figure out what parts we don't need when everything feels like it could maybe be a need right now?

Simply, you talk through everything together. First you figure out what "everything" is.

Is it a monthly handbag? Weekly massages and facials? Multiple guy-night-outs? New wardrobe for everyone every season? idk - it's your spending, you have to do the work.

Sorry to be blunt, but if an intelligent adult can't figure out the difference between need and want, there is no hope for you.

Simply, you talk through everything together. First you figure out what "everything" is.

Is it a monthly handbag? Weekly massages and facials? Multiple guy-night-outs? New wardrobe for everyone every season? idk - it's your spending, you have to do the work.

Fair enough. Thanks!

Sorry to be blunt, but if an intelligent adult can't figure out the difference between need and want, there is no hope for you.

:LOL:There really may be no hope for us. I'll shoot an update after our pow wow later today .

Thanks again, all!

This, so much this. We're going to need to go through our Amazon order history too.

One idea I'll float (very carefully) with the wife is that we cancel Amazon prime and see how it goes for 60 days. We do get diapers and wipes from Amazon but we can bulk order that and save the impulse purchases. I'd also like to stop contributing to the destruction of the planet by my mindless purchases. And if we desperately need prime after that trial we can always re-start.

It's fine to look for money saving ideas like this, but a scattershot approach will have only limited success in really cutting spending.

What you and your spouse need to do, first, is understand precisely how much you spend and what you spend it on right now. All of it. There is no substitute for creating a spreadsheet with spending categories (mine has 53), then going back through the credit card statements and checkbook and allocating the spent dollars to a category. You could do it by the year or by the month (I do mine every month when I get the credit card bill and find that to be the most convenient). Just by doing that, you will find many, many places where money is trickling through your fingers without actually improving your life or moving you toward your goals.

Even in the days when our income was larger than yours, we still knew exactly where every dollar went. We did not "budget" or artificially limit our spending in any way. In fact, we lived pretty darned well. But tracking our spending naturally kept it in check and ensured that we were getting real value from every dollar spent. It would have been very easy to spend a lot more if we were not paying attention.

A secondary benefit of knowing our spending is that we could determine precisely how much we needed to retire and when we would reach that point. One of my goals for retirement was that our standard of living would not change (at least as far as money controls that), and it hasn't. We still do exactly the same things we did before we retired (except work) and spend almost exactly the same amount of money.

PS - for Amazon, we charge everything to our Amazon credit card, because we get 5% back. When the bill comes, I print out the sheet of charges, call up the Amazon order history and, for each charge, allocate to the proper spending category in my spreadsheet. ALL of our other spending is funneled through a single credit card and when that bill arrives, I print out and allocate every charge. Then, it is just a matter of accounting for the few checks I have written and the bank account charges for things like the electric company, which won't take a credit card. We spend very little cash.

C) Save the rest
- repeat

+1 in a way.... just got into this thread and have read about 25%....

If you are really spending $300K then you have some REALLY BIG expenses... cutting our PRIME or some streaming service is a rounding error on your expenses... you will never see any results...

You need to go through your last year or two of spending and find out what you spend your money on.. and do not do it monthly... do it annually... IOW, $24,000 for school, $30,000 for nanny... these are the real expenses.. not the $200 or so for PRIME>..

Isn't the solution as simple as looking at your credit card statement? I'm not going to name them but I think this site gets one good troll post a week.

I don't have much, if anything, to add (which is often the case by the time I discover a thread here). I used to assume that anyone who had the wherewithal to earn a high income, such as yours, would also have the ability to control their spending. I have since learned that those are two different skillsets! It's good that you acknowledge your situation and seem open to suggestions and advice though. There is some good advice in this thread. I particularly agree with rodi's suggestion to look out for the recurring expenses (subscriptions, etc) that continue costing you money with no extra input from you.

I have long thought that people tend to "find their own level" and eventually get what they want, provided they want it enough to actually put in the effort to do what is required to get there. In other words, if you and your wife want to cut your spending badly enough, you'll find a way. We all have things we say that we want, but it takes very little effort to profess that you want something, and a great deal more sustained work to actually get it.

If you truly want this, you'll find a way, with no more help from us. There's a lot of reading in the various threads in this forum, some of which can help you. Best of luck!

Isn't the solution as simple as looking at your credit card statement?

No. Just looking at the statement doesn’t tell you much. I can see we spent $200 at Target but that doesn’t tell me if we spent it on groceries or video games.

Rather than looking backwards, look forwards. Start keeping a log of all spending starting tomorrow. Not just the amount and location but what you actually bought. That’s the only way to then sit down and review where the money is going.

OP, If you are sincere in your desire, I would immediately recommend three things:

1) Read Your Money or Your Life. It's an oldie,, but a goodie in that it helped me finally make the connection between my hours of laboring (called life energy in book) in exchange for whatever was being spent on or purchased.
2) Read The Millionaire Next Door to understand the difference between you and those who have actual wealth.
3) Create a budget (I use Google online for free) and track everything. And add electronic notes to capture exactly what is being spent/bought. It can be a real tsunami of awareness to have to actually document your spend. My guess is that a large amount of your spend will turn out to be either unconscious spend, or boredom spend, and thus devoid of any real satisfaction. Which reminds me- grab and read The Ultimate Cheapskate while your at it. The author absolutely nails the quick tendency many of us have to spend money to self entertain, even we we have a home likely already full of more pasttime options that we have life left to enjoy.

Last edited:
OP, If you are sincere in your desire, I would immediately recommend three things:

1) Read Your Money or Your Life. It's an oldie,, but a goodie in that it helped me finally make the connection between my hours of laboring (called life energy in book) in exchange for whatever was being spent on or purchased.
2) Read The Millionaire Next Door to understand the difference between you and those who have actual wealth.
3) Create a budget (I use Google online for free) and track everything. And add electronic notes to capture exactly what is being spent/bought. It can be a real tsunami of awareness to have to actually document your spend. My guess is that a large amount of your spend will turn out to be either unconscious spend, or boredom spend, and thus devoid of any real satisfaction. Which reminds me- grab and read The Ultimate Cheapskate while your at it. The author absolutely nails the quick tendency many of us have to spend money to self entertain, even we we have a home likely already full of more pasttime options that we have life left to enjoy.
excellent suggestions. And to make sure you don't spend money reading these books - they should be in the library. LOL

We have a very close friend who makes tons of money and also spends tons of money.

I can't tell you the number of times he's told us he's jealous of our life. I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to help him figure out how to spend less.

It's the same story over and over again.

Finally, he eventually mentioned how he grew up with minimal means, and being able to buy whatever he wants makes him feel like he's successful.

Until you dig deep you often can't understand WHY you spend more money than you think you really want to. And even if you understand it at some point, it often doesn't make any difference.

Perhaps this post will help you. However, perhaps it won't!

Our friend is still spending to oblivion. He's happy, though! I think. :confused: I hope! He's a great guy.

Good question, thanks for asking. She enjoys her job and keeps her sane to be doing her profession, so she works 1-2 days a week. I think she brings in maybe 20k a year plus adds to her retirement accounts (I have no idea what those contain, we may need to dive into that on our next date). The nanny is indeed helpful for breaking her free for chores, catching up on sleep, and things like pilates. We're considering a much cheaper nanny share rather than having our own nanny (though the kids dearly, dearly love her) once she moves out West with her husband. The older child will be going to public school next year, so the private preschool costs will go away too.

Thanks for clarifying... that helps. So it sounds like what her work brings in comes close enough to paying for the nanny.

On thing that I would highly recommend to you is Quicken for two reasons.

First, you can set up your own expense categories and import your credit card charges and tag each credit card charge to an expense category. While it sounds burdensome, it isn't as burdensome as it sounds because Quicken remembers what categories are associated with each vendor and will post future charges from that vendor to that category... but you can override it if it isn't right. After the first month or two it become much easier. So for example, we have our monthly electricity bill from FPL go to our credit card and Quicken knows to post it to electricity.

Second, Quicken has a Lifetime Planner tool that I think is a pretty good tool to set up a retirement plan for yourself. It covers a lot of bases and is simple to use.

I've been tracking our spending very closely (every day or two) since retirement 6 months ago (before that, I did track it, but probably quarterly, and didn't really focus on it too much). What I have found is that in the last 6 months, our spending is really high for us ($10K-$15K/month in credit card bills, plus household (mortgage, taxes, insurance, utilities) of about $3,500/month).

What I found is that we have had a ton of (semi) one-time expenses: new metal roof ($5K), landscaping after pool install ($8K), new fence ($6K), new tankless water heater ($4K), new HVAC system ($10K), airfare for once every 5-year vacation to Europe (about $10K), wedding expenses for boy child ($10K), etc. I'm not in panic mode because I know this isn't the norm, but I will continue to track what we spend and adjust as necessary.

Once you see where you spend you can work to adjust. It won't be painless.

300k spend on a 4-500k pretax earning may be normal, but oh my gosh we'd be in a much better place if we continue to earn that hwile spending 60-80k instead. That's my (fantasy) goal.
You need a realistic goal. Going from 300K to 80K is not. I earn a lot less than you and spend more than that.

Once you both have a pretty good idea of where your money is going, set a "step 1 goal" that you can both agree on. Maybe a 10% overall reduction. Going from 300K to 270K should be barely noticeable if you spread those cuts over various spending categories, but it will free up 30K to add to savings which is a nice chunk of change.

If you get to 270K and you're both feeling good about it, move on to "step 2" with a new incremental goal. You can't fix this overnight. If you were in crisis, sure, that could be needed, but you're not. You're living within your means. You're saving for the future. You just want to do better, which is fantastic. Take it slow and make deliberate, mutually agreed upon, incremental changes. If it takes a year or two to get from 300K to 200K, that's fine. That's more likely to succeed than a slash and burn approach.

You need a realistic goal. Going from 300K to 80K is not. I earn a lot less than you and spend more than that.

Once you both have a pretty good idea of where your money is going, set a "step 1 goal" that you can both agree on. Maybe a 10% overall reduction. Going from 300K to 270K should be barely noticeable if you spread those cuts over various spending categories, but it will free up 30K to add to savings which is a nice chunk of change.

If you get to 270K and you're both feeling good about it, move on to "step 2" with a new incremental goal. You can't fix this overnight. If you were in crisis, sure, that could be needed, but you're not. You're living within your means. You're saving for the future. You just want to do better, which is fantastic. Take it slow and make deliberate, mutually agreed upon, incremental changes. If it takes a year or two to get from 300K to 200K, that's fine. That's more likely to succeed than a slash and burn approach.

This isn't tracking how is the OP going to spend 60-80 when the house payments alone is 45K a year? ...IOW he wants to get by annually on less then his present CC spend, not even realistic and doesn't make much sense.

Hey autonomousdog,

You need not panic. At $350K-450K income per year there is no need for that. There really are ways you can cut spending without cutting lifestyle. We paid for housekeeping for years, and it really helped, but as we had more time, we stopped that. A robot vacuum or two does a lot of the job. Any we still pay for some yard work (mulch, etc) but we did have someone mow our lawn for years, even though DH was a stay at home dad (dumb, I know; we have since seen the light).

The fact is you woke up and realized you are spending more than necessary for your chosen lifestyle. You have access to a lifestyle that many of us here do not. Lifestyle matters far less than one's life.

I couldn't spend $1200/month on food if I tried. $500/month eating out? Never done that. I spent 40 years in California, the last in Silicon Valley, and could never fathom spending that much on food, even considering inflation.When my son was a baby, I bought organic baby food and made some of my own, even working 60 hours/week. Young children do not eat that much. What on earth are you all eating that costs that much? Not for you to answer here, but to consider on your own.

But as someone who went part-time at age 55, and prioritized my life over the work life from the time I finished school and pediatric residency, life on the other side of retirement, once you recover from the idea of working for $$ and impressing the world, frankly, is glorious.

We did not compromise lifestyle. But our buying a Prius in 2009, as well as you buying a Tesla, results in significant savings on gas. Shopping around for a good cell plan, joining Planet Fitness over more expensive gyms, all made a difference in the long run.

You're here for a reason. I think you and your wife will find ways to save bit by bit, which will add up to significant savings over the years. And make it a game; a contest for who can save the most, while enjoying life. There is joy in taking care of your own home.

Count the blessings of your high income and put it to good use for your kids and your community. Then you can be proud of your accomplishments, instead of "panicking" over over-spending. Waking up to being OK that you are not perfect is one of the blessings of the middle years, from 35-60 years.

You're right, the keeping up thing is so nefarious. I had an awesome used Toyota Matrix in 2013 that I traded up for a used Camry in 2017 which then I traded up for a used Tesla. Now I wish I just kep the Matrix all along, I don't know what validation I Was seeking with the cars. I've been shopping for used minivans (WAY awesomer than an SUV, we rented one off Turo on our recent vacation and my wife and I both were stunned how much we liked it compared to the SUV) and considering selling the Tesla and getting an ebike that I can commute with for the 4 miles to work. I paid 60k for the Tesla and 40k for the SUV, now their values are 20k and 30k respectively :facepalm:Still would get us ahead to sell them and trade in for a minivan.

Stop spending. If you own them drive them. All vehicles depreciate, that’s over for you. Start getting control of things.

I've weaned off of Amazon ordering for a couple of reasons, one of which is that guy does not need any more of my money.
Another reason is that it is too convenient.
OP, the level of spending implies a large amount of retail therapy. Turning cars like you mention above and taking the early hit is a great example of retail therapy.
This is not going to be an easy change of direction for either of you.
I see you mention "time with the children" over and over. With that kind of motivation, you could turn it around in time to retire while they are young.

Back
Top Bottom