About death and money

Lemming, our local crematorium has staff 24-7 so it’s literally one phone call and they pick you up for a third of the price of a funeral home.

When my wife passed at 10:00 PM on a Thursday night in the Skilled Nursing facility, I called Direct Cremation in my town as soon as I was told and they arranged for the medical examiner that night to declare her dead. They moved the body to their facility by midnight and I did all the paperwork online on their website. All done in less than three hours.

I found out that our local hospital doesn't even have a morgue.
When somebody dies, they have an arrangement with the funeral home nearby. They come over and pick up the deceased.

When the family decides on which funeral home to use, that one contacts the first one and comes pick up the body.

A downside of the hospital not having a morgue is that the doctors can be lazy (or busy) and don't always sign the death certificate right away. Nothing can be done with the body until the death certificate is completed, which has been delayed as much as 2 weeks.

When somebody dies, they have an arrangement with the funeral home nearby. They come over and pick up the deceased.

When the family decides on which funeral home to use, that one contacts the first one and comes pick up the body.

A downside of the hospital not having a morgue is that the doctors can be lazy (or busy) and don't always sign the death certificate right away. Nothing can be done with the body until the death certificate is completed, which has been delayed as much as 2 weeks.

Even without a signed death certificate, and the medical examiner's can declaration that the person legally dead, the body can be put on ice until the death certificate is issued. In my experience, I have found that many doctors are too busy to issue the death certificate in a timely fashion. A phone call to them will speed up the process.

Even without a signed death certificate, and the medical examiner's can declaration that the person legally dead, the body can be put on ice until the death certificate is issued. In my experience, I have found that many doctors are too busy to issue the death certificate in a timely fashion. A phone call to them will speed up the process.

In our case, it took several phone calls and finally a personal visit to the hospital to hound the doctor.

This thread got me looking into local cremation and interment. It turns out we have a local Cremation Society, which can arrange affordable cremation. As far as internment, I want a location so family members can look me up if they so desire, rather than being scattered. I got curious about a historic cemetery next to an historic church where they hold summer concerts. It turns out they have niches for about $900. What's nice is that an ancestor of a friend of mine from high school is interred there.

I've started my information binder. I'll probably create one for DH as well.

The concept I try to keep in mind as DW and I pass further and further into geezerhood is to remember to reward those who help you in this time of need. There is no need for "equity" in planning for inheritances. Reward those who are there for you.

Last edited:
... Her wishes was to be cremated. She had not put this in writing with the funeral home, they told me that 51% of her children had to sign off. I have one brother, his response was "what's in it for me?" and refused til he got something. The funeral home and I met his demands and he signed off. He was sent a written invitation to the funeral by the funeral home and didn't attend....

The small personal property can be a head ache. DB asked for all of it, I gave it to him and told him to give me back what he thought I should have. I found out he took it all to a pawn shop and sold it for a few hundred bucks. ...
Real classy guy. Not.

I've already set up for the local medical school (UCSD) to pick up my body, harvest anything they can, and use it as a cadaver. Free. Since I don't feel the need to have a body/tombstone/internment site for family, it's all good.

Hubby wants his ashes spread at specific spots with specific songs playing. I've taken notes on some of the cremation services mentioned in this thread (neptune, tulip, etc.)

I have known 2 people (in different states) who waited MONTHS for a death certificate. Both deaths the doctor would not sign off and an autopsy was required. One found no discernible cause of death, the other found a rare heart issue. But the point is that it was very difficult for the families to proceed. IIRC they were allowed to have the funerals without the cert but could not access any money until there was paperwork. In one case money had to be borrowed to pay the funeral costs. IDK how common this is of course and these were people I knew via w*rk so not privy to every detail except some ongoing stress resulting from the delays.

I have known 2 people (in different states) who waited MONTHS for a death certificate. Both deaths the doctor would not sign off and an autopsy was required. One found no discernible cause of death, the other found a rare heart issue. But the point is that it was very difficult for the families to proceed with details.
That could happen, but it is not very normal. And, even waiting for the death certificate, one can do a lot of sorting out the issues and planning while waiting. SS will shut off payment benefits based on a phone call (ask me how I know). And the rest can be done later. Heck, my DW passed in 12/22 and I am still closing things out.

Neither decedent was old enough for SS. One spouse lost the house without the extra income and no access to insurance. Clearly some lack of planning there but most people do not die at 40 with no warning.

Neither decedent was old enough for SS. One spouse lost the house without the extra income and no access to insurance. Clearly some lack of planning there but most people do not die at 40 with no warning.

Yes, bad things can happen, I lost a daughter who was 22 years old and had to handle all of the things she had going on. It's not easy, anyone drying, I mean.

Back
Top Bottom