EZ money on Wall St

Free bird

Full time employment: Posting here.
The S&P 500 as returned 13% per year since March 2009. Many said expect mid single digit returns. Does anyone feel entitled to more above historical trend returns going forward? What has caused above average returns since 2009 & do you feel comfortable factoring in double digit returns for the next 10 years?

I would be very happy with 7% nominal for the next 10 years.

Same here, nominal 6%. Actually I have 5 time periods defined and can adjust expectations based on age since I plan on changing AA (and expenses) over the years.

Yes. Entitled to it!

Seriously, I'll be ecstatic if we get 3% real over the next 10 years if its nice and smooth.

The S&P 500 as returned 13% per year since March 2009. Many said expect mid single digit returns. ...
Goes to show that many people have no idea.

... Does anyone feel entitled to more above historical trend returns going forward? ...
Makes no difference if you feel entitled or not. Market doesn't care. Market will do what market will do. I don't feel entitled to anything.

... What has caused above average returns since 2009 & do you feel comfortable factoring in double digit returns for the next 10 years?

I'd bet you couldn't get much consensus on the cause for the past, let alone the future.

I don't feel comfortable or uncomfortable, because I don't factor in anything. Market might be negative over the next 10 years, it's happened before. Better be ready for that.

-ERD50

What has caused above average returns since 2009 & do you feel comfortable factoring in double digit returns for the next 10 years?

My opinion, and it is just an opinion, is the above average returns came about from the below average returns the ten years previous.

A reversion to mean.

From Oct 1989 to Oct 1999 return was almost 11%. So you might be right. Could be a skinny 10 year run coming up.

The amazing average returns since March 2009 are mostly because the market indexes had been more than cut in half between Oct 2007 and Mar 2009.

You get vastly different statistics depending on where you start measuring.

In the last 39 years the S&P 500 has payed 5.5%. Just doesn't seem like all that good considering the volitility one must endure.

So were really out of plumb the last 10 years. I'd say reversion to the mean would be just around the corner if I was a betting man. But I'm not a betting man. I'm a freebird.

In the last 39 years the S&P 500 has payed 5.5%. Just doesn't seem like all that good considering the volitility one must endure.

Source?

CAGR of the Stock Market: Annualized Returns of the S&P 500

That link says about 12% from Jan 1979 to Dec 2017.

Did you include divs? Even w/o divs, that source says 8.9%.

$1.00 grew to: $83.20

That checks out in a calculator: 1.12^39 ≈ 83.081224 (some very slight rounding on the 12%).

-ERD50

From October 1979 to October 4th 2018. How do you get 12%?

In that case, sell all your equities and buy TIPS.
I don't understand the concept of TIPS. I understand that there is no free lunch in finance. So why would TIPS pay you more than inflation? What is the downside?

Since Oct 2007 it is about 7%/yr total return. That is definitely as much as should be expected.

I don't understand the concept of TIPS. I understand that there is no free lunch in finance. So why would TIPS pay you more than inflation? What is the downside?

Their yield is horrible and I can think of a dozen better ways to outpace inflation.

Looking at a 40 year period (my target period), I expect returns of around 10% over that period. It was low in 2009 and high now, but over the next 40 years it should be (hopefully) be the same as the average over the last approximately 100 years.

FWIW, the link below says S&P index returned 12.25% since 1923 (till 2016). I am careful to not say S&P 500, since that was introduced in 1957.

"The current average annual return from 1923 (the year of the S&P’s inception) through 2016 is 12.25%.(1,2) That’s a long look back, and most people aren’t interested in what happened in the market 80 years ago."

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/the-12-reality

Back
Top Bottom