Fidelity CC compromised AGAIN!

Carol1862

Recycles dryer sheets
This is the 2nd time in less than 3 months. Anyone else with this problem? I get a text immediately when it is used. Yesterday I got a text from an airline in Canada for over $400. Called them immediately and now once again I have to stop my auto payments. I’ve been transferring them to my checking instead, but several will only take a CC. Plus I liked the cash back from using CC. Frustrating.

I have charges emailed. A month ago, I got two charges within seconds of each other :

Your account was charged $100.00 at STEAMGAMES.COM 4259522985

Called Fidelity, they reversed the charges and issued a new card. I use that card a lot, so who knows? But I keep my recurring payments on a card that I don't use for anything else, and it stays at home in a drawer. I still need to update everything when it expires, but I have a list and that goes pretty quick.

-ERD50

Luckily I have not had a problem. But this is a good reminder to review transactions on a regular basis.

Seems to happen to us every 18-24 months, but that's been the case w/ every CC we've had, not just Fido.

This is the 2nd time in less than 3 months. Anyone else with this problem? I get a text immediately when it is used. Yesterday I got a text from an airline in Canada for over $400. Called them immediately and now once again I have to stop my auto payments. I’ve been transferring them to my checking instead, but several will only take a CC. Plus I liked the cash back from using CC. Frustrating.

It has nothing to do with Fidelity. It is more related to where you use your own CC and what places you frequent when you use it.

My Penfed card was compromised about a year ago with a purchase of $2000+ from Washington State (I live in Texas). No idea how but the fraud team said that the transaction only required a zip code not the code on back. That made me think of a gasoline purchase?? Since then if I use a card for online purchase I use my Citi card and get a "Virtual Card number" that is only valid for that purchase. Not sure if that will solve the problem but it couldn't hurt.

I use Capital One's ENO system which generates a unique virtual card number for each of my recurring payments. If my card is compromised they give me a new physical card with a new card number that is linked to my current ENO virtual card numbers.

Info here: https://www.capitalone.com/applications/eno/virtualnumbers

If my ENO card number is compromised, there isn't much they an use it for, and I only have to get a new number for the merchant the ENO number is used with.

The downside is the Capital One pays only 1.5% cash back instead of 2%. I figure it is a small price to pay (maybe $20 a year) for avoiding the hassle of changing card numbers. If I do make a big purchase online, I will use the 2% card but that is rare.

..... But I keep my recurring payments on a card that I don't use for anything else, and it stays at home in a drawer. ....

-ERD50

++

I am finally moving to this system, with a card that auto-pays itself on the statement date.

Besides the benefit of being pretty safe from stolen, this is also great when going on a long vacation - no more worrying about paying bills.

I had back to back fraud on my card at Fido, but that was with the old card company. Since they switched to Elan, nothing yet. Knock on wood.

My Fido card was hacked a little over a year ago. My Discover card was hacked last night.

What's new?

++

I am finally moving to this system, with a card that auto-pays itself on the statement date.

Besides the benefit of being pretty safe from stolen, this is also great when going on a long vacation - no more worrying about paying bills.

Same here for auto pay bills, except I pay off the balance online at the end of the month (not automated).

I have a Bank of America VISA that seems to get compromised fairly often. I think it's happened twice this year. It's the most common card I use, though.

I also had another card get hacked...either PNC or Wells Fargo, I forget which. But that one was one I hadn't used in awhile, and would usually keep out of my wallet and hidden at home.

It has nothing to do with Fidelity. It is more related to where you use your own CC and what places you frequent when you use it.

I agree with Senator. I have not read anywhere on CC sites that certain cards are more suspect as to being hacked.

I didn’t mean to imply it had anything to do with Fidelity. Just stating it was my Fidelity card. I’m just frustrated that it was compromised again. I like the idea of having a CC solely for auto payments. Might look into that. Right now I’m slowly just converting everything to my checking account.

My Fidelity card gets compromised about once a year but it's also the only card that I physically hand over to a retail establishment (mostly restaurants) for processing. The majority of the fraudulent charges were from overseas transactions. I've asked their fraud department if there was any way I could block all foreign card not present transactions since I do not use this card for foreign transactions because of the added fees. Sadly, I was told no.

My Fidelity card gets compromised about once a year but it's also the only card that I physically hand over to a retail establishment (mostly restaurants) for processing. The majority of the fraudulent charges were from overseas transactions. I've asked their fraud department if there was any way I could block all foreign card not present transactions since I do not use this card for foreign transactions because of the added fees. Sadly, I was told no.

I wonder why I have to let them know when I travel overseas then. Hmmm.

My Fidelity card gets compromised about once a year but it's also the only card that I physically hand over to a retail establishment (mostly restaurants) for processing.

I noticed this some years ago. Every time I had a card hacked it was within a few weeks of using it to pay for a meal at a restaurant, usually one not in my own neighborhood.

So I began an ironclad policy of never letting a credit card out of my sight when using it. That means I have to always carry enough cash for a good meal, but I'm OK with that since I always have some cash in my wallet anyway.

Since I began this practice about ten years ago, I've only had two card compromises, so I'm content that it's working well enough.

I noticed this some years ago. Every time I had a card hacked it was within a few weeks of using it to pay for a meal at a restaurant, usually one not in my own neighborhood.

So I began an ironclad policy of never letting a credit card out of my sight when using it. That means I have to always carry enough cash for a good meal, but I'm OK with that since I always have some cash in my wallet anyway.

Since I began this practice about ten years ago, I've only had two card compromises, so I'm content that it's working well enough.
The one thing I've tried and still in the process of experimenting with is scratching out the CVV on the back of the card to see if that will reduce the fraudulent card not present transactions. I bought some stuff at a local plumbing store recently and the store didn't have a working CC reader so the clerk processed it on their computer as a card not present transaction. She asked for the CVV and I said I don't remember but it's on my phone which is in the car. She said she would try processing it without the CVV first. To my surprise, the transaction went thru without the CVV (~$50).

Most of my hacks have been against my Discover card. But at least once a year, one of my cards seems to get hacked. Oh well.

I think this is true. The younger generations use debit cards everywhere, including small merchants, and many are willing to accept the risks of waving their wireless devices over pay bases. Good luck with that.

Fingers crossed, I can't remember the last time we had a bogus charge on either of our main credit cards.. Neither of us use any wireless device (cell phone, Kindle, laptop) to access our financial or banking accounts, not even at home. Being paranoid can be inconvenient, but we're willing to live with that.

Same here. That and for small purchases. I watch people using their debit cards at small merchants for under $5 purchases and just shake my head.

Last edited:
Hehe, yeah. The fraud alert I got was for a $5.46 charge at a place I never heard of. Discover advised it looks like a restaurant in Florida. Answered I would never charge 5 bucks in a restaurant anywhere and I haven't been to Florida in 20 years.

That is surprising that they will not block it. On two of my cards (Chase and local credit union), unless I tell them I plan to use it overseas, in specific countries within a defined time range, they will automatically block all transactions. It does get a little tricky for foreign transactions made before we travel (e.g. Hotel or rental car charge), but it is worth it.

a few years ago I was in Las Vegas for a conference, and me, two of our my co-workers, and our manager went out to dinner at an Outback Steakhouse. We split the bill and all used our Amex credit cards for payment. Two months later all 4 of us got notified of large charges that were fraudulent. So we know that they were all compromised at that Outback - we notified Amex of this, but Amex said they would not do anything (from a business perspective it is likely cheaper to just deal with the fraudulent charges than to pursue anything against the restaurant).

My experience is that if you put autopay, especially internet, phone, etc., on your credit card, it is easier to get it compromised.

Back
Top Bottom