Fidelity Full View Problems

savory

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been having trouble with Fidelity Full View updating my accounts. I have a couple of credit cards and one bank that refuse to update with Full View.

The bank has been months and occurred at the same time I sold some CDs. The credit cards started in early December. I have been in contact with FV folk but no solution. While updates sometimes take some time, this seems out of control.

Since misery loves company, anyone else in the same boat?

Thanks

I have been having trouble with Fidelity Full View updating my accounts. I have a couple of credit cards and one bank that refuse to update with Full View.

The bank has been months and occurred at the same time I sold some CDs. The credit cards started in early December. I have been in contact with FV folk but no solution. While updates sometimes take some time, this seems out of control.

Since misery loves company, anyone else in the same boat?

Thanks

No, I only use it to aggregate my investments. The only issue I ever have is that after a long period of time, it sometimes requires me to re-enter the credentials for some of the outside accounts I have. More of an annoyance than anything.

Cheers

Fidelity is a bit of a hypocrite with Full View. Fidelity encourages you to link all your accounts to Fidelity, but has upped their security requirements and is now prohibiting external aggregators such as Mint/Intuit from accessing Fidelity accounts. Supposedly when Mint/Intuit upgrade their systems to meet Fidelity's requirements they will allow the data to flow again, but I'm not holding my breath while waiting.

Fidelity is a bit of a hypocrite with Full View. Fidelity encourages you to link all your accounts to Fidelity, but has upped their security requirements and is now prohibiting external aggregators such as Mint/Intuit from accessing Fidelity accounts. Supposedly when Mint/Intuit upgrade their systems to meet Fidelity's requirements they will allow the data to flow again, but I'm not holding my breath while waiting.
Sure, it's annoying as an end user, but to be fair, the security of other banks isn't really their concern, they are rightly first and foremost concerned with the security of their own accounts.

But as for savory's issue, I've been using the aggregators at Fidelity and USAA for years, and I've seen accounts stop updating for days, weeks, sometimes even longer, with no obvious reason for the stop or start. I've deleted and tried to re-add the accounts, with no luck, so I think it's an issue at one of the banks, and it's a low priority for them because from their point of view it's a perk more than a necessary service.

But my point of view is probably more skewed than usual from having had to set up and maintain similar syndication services for non-financial information. :cool:

Last edited:
Fullview has been a mess for years ever since they switched platforms. I stopped using it because the information was so unreliable. There have been multiple threads on the issues on the forum at Fidelity.
I developed my own spreadsheet as a result and have been happy ever since.

Fullview has been a mess for years ever since they switched platforms. I stopped using it because the information was so unreliable. There have been multiple threads on the issues on the forum at Fidelity.
I developed my own spreadsheet as a result and have been happy ever since.

That was true for several months after the transition. But it's MUCH improved now. I've been using it reliably for 2-3 years.

The only non-Fidelity accounts I have linked are Ally savings and 3 credit cards. They update fairly reliably. Once or twice a year, I have to re-enter credentials or answer a security question for one of those outside accounts.

That was true for several months after the transition. But it's MUCH improved now. I've been using it reliably for 2-3 years.

The only non-Fidelity accounts I have linked are Ally savings and 3 credit cards. They update fairly reliably. Once or twice a year, I have to re-enter credentials or answer a security question for one of those outside accounts.

I went in as recently as a couple weeks ago and it still categorizes my entire taxable account which is a blend of muni bonds, equity ETFs and a money market as being 100% cash. How useful is that?

I used the platform years ago. I can't remember the name of the platform that ultimately became Full View at Fidelity. When I reached the end of my rope with their mistakes in data gathering, I cancelled.

When I cancelled FV, I tried Personal Capital. I liked that very much and it worked virtually all the time. I just didn't want to have my finances on two sites, PC & Fidelity. One site is more than I really want for financial data.

This time however, Full VIEW is slow on the repair and I am having additional things 'break'.

Perhaps a more specific question for now would be, if you have a Pen Fed account that you are tracking with FV are you having updating problems? The same questions for Capital One Visa or Master Card. If yours are working and mine are not, perhaps its a whole different problem.

I went in as recently as a couple weeks ago and it still categorizes my entire taxable account which is a blend of muni bonds, equity ETFs and a money market as being 100% cash. How useful is that?

I'm not sure if you are referring to the asset allocation tab under investments. Or the account groupings on the home tab.

On the account groupings, you can specify how each account is classified. For example, we have a brokerage account with equity ETFs, which is correctly classified as Taxable Investments. We have another brokerage account with only cash and MMFs, which we use as a checking account. I changed it's account type to "Cash Equivalent - Cash Management Account."

The allocation tab under Investments automatically classifies the underlying investments for each individual account or a group of accounts. I just checked mine and each account is broken down correctly.

I find it very good for managing my transactions, I can see all my banking and credit cards in one place. Not so much for portfolio, it can't recognize that my 401k S&P 500 index is a large cap allocation.

I do get occasional times when it will not update certain accounts. Usually when they require security updates, but sometimes no rhyme or reason. I find if I update it on Sunday morning I usually get the current information to load.

I'm not sure if you are referring to the asset allocation tab under investments. Or the account groupings on the home tab.

On the account groupings, you can specify how each account is classified. For example, we have a brokerage account with equity ETFs, which is correctly classified as Taxable Investments. We have another brokerage account with only cash and MMFs, which we use as a checking account. I changed it's account type to "Cash Equivalent - Cash Management Account."

The allocation tab under Investments automatically classifies the underlying investments for each individual account or a group of accounts. I just checked mine and each account is broken down correctly.
It doesn’t allocate it correctly and at the time I tried to fix it without success. I have moved on from it. I appreciate you trying to help, but I have no desire to revisit it now having a better solution in my own spreadsheet.

It doesn’t allocate it correctly and at the time I tried to fix it without success. I have moved on from it. I appreciate you trying to help, but I have no desire to revisit it now having a better solution in my own spreadsheet.

That's fine. Full View is far from perfect. But it's greatly improved since the platform migration several years ago, which was indeed a disaster.

For me at least, it's WAY easier than importing transactions into Excel from multiple institutions. Categories are automatically assigned. I only correct a handful of new merchants every month. The asset allocation breaks down funds that hold a mix of investment types.

I use Excel for lots of modeling and analysis. But as a mechanism for accumulating raw transactional detail, I much prefer an automated tool like Full View or Personal Capital.

That's fine. Full View is far from perfect. But it's greatly improved since the platform migration several years ago, which was indeed a disaster.

For me at least, it's WAY easier than importing transactions into Excel from multiple institutions. Categories are automatically assigned. I only correct a handful of new merchants every month. The asset allocation breaks down funds that hold a mix of investment types.

I use Excel for lots of modeling and analysis. But as a mechanism for accumulating raw transactional detail, I much prefer an automated tool like Full View or Personal Capital.
I setup my spreadsheet to update from only one main input daily and about 5-6 monthly. I do not load transaction data. I don’t find that level of detail helpful for my goals. I get allocation info from the other tools at Fidelity since I have consolidated everything at Fido.

I wrote to PENFED and received this response. After reading their response, I decided it will be easier for me to execute a manual update once per month. In my case, PenFed's change happened right after I cashed in a few CDs which was still showing in my net worth number. It was an easy enough change and even if I miss a month to manually update, it will not have a significant net worth impact.

hank you for contacting PenFed.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Third-party applications can use a variety of means to access your data, one of these options is called screen-scraping. After careful consideration, PenFed has decided not to allow the collection of data through screen-scraping at this time; therefore, connecting to those type of programs, such as Quicken, Mint, and Ramp may be blocked. Applications that use alternative means of data collection are still allowed and should work as intended.

If you are experiencing issues with a third-party application, you may need to manually download transactions to your device, and then import the data to the desired program.

To download your recent transaction history for use in other applications:
1. Log in to PenFed Online and click the name of your account. For credit cards, click the arrow next to More account info actions and select Download Transactions.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click the plus icon (+) next to Download Transactions.
3. Select the transactions you want to download from three selections in the dropdown menu:
o All - downloads all available transactions.
o Transactions selected individually above - use this option along with clicking the Download box next to each individual transaction you select in the upper portion of the screen.
o Transaction # range - use this option along with the Range dropdown menus to select the earliest and latest range of transaction numbers.
4. Select the download format appropriate for your program:
o QFX Format (Quicken 2006 and higher)
o QFX Format (Money 2001 and higher)
o QIF Format (Quicken/Money all other versions)
o Comma Separated Value (CSV)
5. Click Download.

Repeat the process for each account for which you want to download transaction history.

Please feel free to reply or find us at PenFed.org/Help if you need any further assistance.

"Prohibiting" isn't really accurate. Fido wants 3rd parties to use a specific access method, which is more secure.

As a Fido customer, I applaud the change.

"Prohibiting" isn't really accurate. Fido wants 3rd parties to use a specific access method, which is more secure.

As a Fido customer, I applaud the change.

If there are no 3rd parties that use the specific access method (which Fidelity doesn't identify so you can't research it) its a prohibition on 3rd parties. Read the description. Fidelity doesn't tell you to contact the 3rd party to request the new (unidentifed) method. Fidelity tells you to re-evaluate if you want that 3rd part to access your data. Intuit already has access to all the info to complete a tax return including SSN.

Meanwhile, Fidelity encourages you to use the same allegedly insecure method to allow their Full View access your data from other sites. "Do as I say, not as I do".

I'm all for higher security. But Fidelity is just trying to push users to their Full View and not trying to improve the ecosystem.

If there are no 3rd parties that use the specific access method (which Fidelity doesn't identify so you can't research it) its a prohibition on 3rd parties. Read the description. Fidelity doesn't tell you to contact the 3rd party to request the new (unidentifed) method. Fidelity tells you to re-evaluate if you want that 3rd part to access your data. Intuit already has access to all the info to complete a tax return including SSN.

Meanwhile, Fidelity encourages you to use the same allegedly insecure method to allow their Full View access your data from other sites. "Do as I say, not as I do".

I'm all for higher security. But Fidelity is just trying to push users to their Full View and not trying to improve the ecosystem.

I can't find the URL where I read this, but Fido is transitioning to FDX:

https://financialdataexchange.org/

It's not about forcing people to use Full View.

Update: 45 days later, I am again receiving data. Here is what seemed to work. At least for the Capital One credit cards, there is a choice. For example, it could be the Visa Costco card. or another store type on drop down menu used to register your card.

I had been using the 360, I think. before it stopped working. I deleted that. I decided to select another Cap 1 card from the list.

It worked, even though it was not 'my' credit card, at least to get my total CC spending. Then about 3 days later, my individual purchases appeared. Fido nor Cap1 where helpful in solving the problem. Unless they did something behind the scenes. They did try to do some things. However, It was my experimenting that seemed to help as they could have suggested what I ended up doing anytime over the last 6 weeks.

I am happy things are back to where they were. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom