Fidelity Only or Vanguard Too?

I think it makes sense to have account at both if you buy ishares ETF and Vanguard ETF shares. Buy ishares ETF at Fidelity account and buy Vanguard ETF at Vanguard. They are free if you do.

$4.95 per trade for us buy & hold types is so inconsequential that, IMHO, it should not be considered in the decision. My twice-a-year trip to Starbucks is a bigger financial commitment.

$4.95 per trade for us buy & hold types is so inconsequential that, IMHO, it should not be considered in the decision. My twice-a-year trip to Starbucks is a bigger financial commitment.
May not be for you, but for some of us who trade often.

I would keep it at Fidelity for simplicity. While I prefer Vanguard to Fidelity, it's not worth the hassle factor.

I have my 401k at Fidelity. I have taxable accounts at Fidelity and Vanguard. Initially I wanted to compare the performance of the two accounts. My results, for similar funds, Vanguard funds are more tax efficient. You have more distributions from Fidelity funds with possible tax implications. However, I could not actually figure out which one is better. If you have lots of other incomes and is concerned about tax, Vanguard funds seem to be more efficient.

I would keep it at Fidelity for simplicity. While I prefer Vanguard to Fidelity, it's not worth the hassle factor.

Thanks Toocold (and everyone else!) that seems to be the general consensus and I think I will stay more-or-less consolidated with Fido for simplicity. I wanted to see if I was missing anything and it doesn't sound like it.

Six investment accounts, with about 75% at Fido, 15% at Vanguard, and 10% at Schwab.

Plus a bunch of banks and credit unions.

I don't mind dealing with all of them, and like having a bit of diversity.

The RMD thing seems like a non-issue to me, because Fido will take out the right amount from the IRAs there and so will Vanguard. Two checks, so what?

Thanks for answering my question - and I never even asked it as of yet....

I have my IRA, Roth, & Brokerage at FIDO. I also have a 401 K & Roth with Prudential that I am planning to transfer at Retirement. I was planning to Roll the 401 portion into Vanguard in order to purchase the fund that pays out 4% monthly. I was going to transfer the Roth piece into FIDO.

My rationale for doing this - is that I do not have to take RMD for the next 15 years and I believe that I can live off of my State Pension and the 4% payout in the Vanguard payout fund.

In 15 years I can worry about RMD and, like you said, have separate checks payable to me.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom